It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Make Up Crap threatens to pull Federal Funding from California Wildfires

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

My late uncle lived for the most part, in Novato, Ca. He took my dad and I along on that Sierra Hunting Trip. But the derelict Redwood ranch buildings were, and I hope, are still there. That was where I was intro'd to Manzanita Brush thirty to forty feet high. And that was where I first saw Cali coastal deer, the size of German Shepherds. The jackrabbits were giving them a run for their money, meat wise.

I've lived most of my life within fifty miles of Wash. State Univ. in Pullman, WA.

Now to the present. It's starting to make the news feeds that your Gov. Moonbeam, vetoed a 2016 Forest Fire mitigation bill, which would have prevented much of today's disasters, in the North end of your state. A few years ago, we had the "School Canyon Fire", in the north ends of the Blue Mts. The Wash. bureaucrats tried to hang that one on a sparking power line, but the local utility co. provided written requests over several years about removing a large dead snag, outside of their Easment. The Enviros refused to drop it, due to "woodsy owls". Eventually a windstorm knocked it down, over the power line, and started one heck of a range fire. As soon as that utility provided written proof of their repeated requests for mitigation, over several years, there was total silence in the State Gov't, as well as all the local news organizations. Before those letters were published, it looked like an Old West necktie party was ginning up.

Your own Gov. Moonbeam is now responsible for some, but not all of the deaths in these fires. So let's see just how fast your Cal. Dems can bury your Gov's Veto of that 2016 Fire Mitigation Bill. We've already seen this; "where I live".

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: carpooler

I'm not gonna respond to your name calling.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Fine... quit begging for subsidies.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Just wanna make it clear.

I personally am PRO-logical/practical.

I don't like nonsense.

I think trailer parks and schools in tornado areas should be required to have underground safety shelters.

Should residents in flood areas be required to keep rowboats?

I live in the desert. I never drive anywhere without water and a shade umbrella in the car.

Every place has something both residents and government should be responsible for.

I DO support forest management.
I DO support personal responsibility of property.

We could play blame game all day long getting dizzy tying to follow the pointing fingers.

Malibu is a lot of dry chaparral. It's desert. Not sure how you'd manage that.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Controlled burns. Clearing brush. Building firebreaks.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   

I think trailer parks and schools in tornado areas should be required to have underground safety shelters.

Actually impractical... trailer parks exist because the people there can't afford much better. Requiring underground shelters would just raise trailer costs and likely make them homeless.

I do like the idea of municipalities having adequate shelters, though. That spreads the cost to those who can afford it.

Should residents in flood areas be required to keep rowboats?

No, not required... there's typically a little notice when a flood is coming.

If I lived in a place where my exits could be blocked, I would probably get one myself though.

But both of those illustrate the very issue I have been pointing out that you keep ignoring: absolute control of someone's life is not necessary. California did that, by going to such ridiculous lengths to save every critter that crawls, walks, runs, flies, or bumps its butt trying to get around. In their ignorance, California has actually endangered these critters as well as their own people. Too much regulation! They put sawmills out of business because they made it so hard to log the forests... now they could use those sawmills, but don't want to change the regulations. California, as pointed out by carpooler above, refused to allow reasonable and necessary clearing to prevent fires, and thus caused fires.

And you want more money because you want to waste the resources you have and allow that waste to cause more fires that you then complain about.

No.

Right now you have painted a picture in my mind, Annee... what I see is a very rich fellow in a three-piece tailored suit and tie, wearing $2000 shoes, leaning up against his brand new Rolls Royce with his hand out to the everyday passers-by begging for money and cussing out anyone who doesn't have enough for him.

That's how you have portrayed California to me... and you wonder why people make fun of them?

Look in the mirror.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Not having a shelter in a trailer park due to poverty -- is an excuse.

Yes carpooler presented a one sided view.

I don't understand your rich man interpretation.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Not having a shelter in a trailer park due to poverty -- is an excuse.

Of course you think it is. That's because you would never see the people who desperately need a place to live, and are denied it because they don't make enough.

Yes carpooler presented a one sided view.

The state refused to allow growth to be trimmed back when it endangered power lines. How can that be one sided?

What's the other side?

I don't understand your rich man interpretation.

Of course not. That's the problem.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 08:26 PM
link   

I grew up in poverty.

The grade school principal bought us our school shoes and provided food donations.

Don't assume.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 08:33 PM
link   

As did I, Annee. That was then; this is now.

Look, you're obviously trying to understand my point, and I appreciate that. In that vein, let me try to simplify, one thing at a time.

Can we agree that the reason wildfires are becoming so widespread and devastating is the amount of dry fuel in California, specifically old growth trees and underbrush?

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 09:05 PM
link   

I do understand your point.

I said PERSONALLY -- I am logical/practical. I PERSONALLY support forest management.

Aside from that we come from different cultures which affects perspective.

RE: CA -- northern CA is a different culture than the Central Valley, coastal is different, the desert areas are different, etc.

CA is a very diverse state.

It is not a "one fits all".

There are many perspectives on "environmental lands".

After the fact always makes it easy to point a finger.

There are Rights and Wrongs from all perspectives.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 09:09 PM
link   

I simply do not understand what this has to do with culture. Your complaint for many pages in this thread was that Trump was threatening to cut Federal funds for forest management. I pointed out that clearing the brush will not cost anything. How is that cultural? The only thing I can think of would be that somehow the culture wants devastating forest fires. Surely that's not what you're claiming?

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Changes in forest management procedures now allows what's called "hack and spray" method of killing unwanted forest trees - usually tan oaks. Because it costs 25% of what removal does this practice had become widespread. This had led to millions more standing dead trees in addition to those killed by drought and beetle infestations.

Lack of proscribed burns, overgrowth due to environmental regulation and changes in management practices created the perfect conditions for the largest fires in human history.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

That explains the available fuel but what started the fires?
A possible answer lies in the sky:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Truth is stranger than fiction some times.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Just a bigger picture.

I view from diverse spectrum.

Just so ya know, my friend, he says f'em, who cares about perspective?

It was originally the fire chief (someone like that) who brought up funding.

Anyway, the whole forest thing in CA has always been an issue.

OK. I'll do research before/if I come back.

Ya know you're never gonna get me to support Trump, right?

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 10:09 PM
link   
After reading on this subject for about an hour, and instead of posting links and having a discussion it dawned upon me to ask one simple question:

Are Trump supporters suggesting that if California never had a drought, and instead had lots of rain and moderate temperatures that these devastating wild fires would still happen?

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Ya know you're never gonna get me to support Trump, right?

That isn't my goal, but I will say this... if getting even with someone for winning an election is more important to you than saving people's homes and lives... well, remember that mental picture I had of California? You just gave the rich dude a lobotomy.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: game over man

Are Trump supporters suggesting that if California never had a drought, and instead had lots of rain and moderate temperatures that these devastating wild fires would still happen?

The vast majority of California is a drought. California is a semi-arid region that uses water from any source they can find to make it appear less so. Are you suggesting that turning it into a wetter region is even a remote possibility?

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Whoever claims that california fires are caused by climate change or global warming should visit a doctor.
Those fires have all been started purposefully from NATO and the EU and were meant to spread as much as possible precisely to favor the pro-Paris climate accord loony bins of the EU and to impress hollywood clowns with what can global warming do. These fires are clearly an act of war by the EU and NATO against the US.

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Jesus... I can just tell who creates these threads anymore...... I was going to interject, but it looks like the first two replies destroyed the idea behind the thread, so....... Good day to you

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

I simply do not understand what this has to do with culture. Your complaint for many pages in this thread was that Trump was threatening to cut Federal funds for forest management. I pointed out that clearing the brush will not cost anything. How is that cultural? The only thing I can think of would be that somehow the culture wants devastating forest fires. Surely that's not what you're claiming?

TheRedneck

I do somewhat agree with you....not only clearing brush and fire breaks..you didn't mention this prolonged drought we are in...and that destructive beetle that has had prolonged and more reproductive cycles because of the droughtand killing many more trees that has made things worse.....I am glad trump newsom and brown got together and put aside their differences and I really want this massive problem to get fixed......oh and trump actually said climate change is a small part of it...so he is admitting that climate change is real after so many denials

so let me ask you.....since this problem is so bad ( and (I agree that it is) do we not need everything at our disposal that will help solve this problem including the federal money for federal lands??
edit on 18-11-2018 by research100 because: spelling

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join