It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Make Up Crap threatens to pull Federal Funding from California Wildfires

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: research100

Maybe instead of trying to get free healthcare for illegals they should use the monies they have to help to prevent things like this?

Talking points are great for elections but there are real problems in CA. Look at San Francisco....

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

Pray tell.

What's wrong with San Francisco?

Since you singled it out.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I think it's about time someone told California to get their S#it together, instead of being nice after another disaster that was completely preventable. I've been listening for YEARS to experts complain about the terrible mismanagement of this and MANY other natural issues happening in CA. Maybe withholding some funding would shock them enough to cause some actual change instead of just kowtowing to the enviro crowd, and actually do some good.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs

Maybe instead of trying to get free healthcare for illegals they should use the monies they have to help to prevent things like this?

Talking points are great for elections but there are real problems in CA. Look at San Francisco....

trump is taking away tens of millions of dollars for the VERY problem HE bitched about hypocritical...much?? tell me is he going to change his mind and give ca these monies since he cares OH SO MUCH????? just man up and own the fact that he is taking millions of dollars away that would clear dead trees...which he totally blamed ca for.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: EverydayInVA
I think it's about time someone told California to get their S#it together, instead of being nice after another disaster that was completely preventable. I've been listening for YEARS to experts complain about the terrible mismanagement of this and MANY other natural issues happening in CA. Maybe withholding some funding would shock them enough to cause some actual change instead of just kowtowing to the enviro crowd, and actually do some good.

A forest fire is completely preventable?

If so -- the cutting of Federal Funding -- sits #1 on the list of cause.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Would you explain to me why I can make tons of money by allowing someone to log the trees behind my house, but in California it costs money to have that done?

That's all I want to know... why is wood valued so little in California? Everywhere else it has value.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Thank God Trump hasn't cut funding to oil companies so they can get oil for gasoline and diesel. After all, it costs so much money to dig it up out of the ground...

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

Thank God Trump hasn't cut funding to oil companies so they can get oil for gasoline and diesel. After all, it costs so much money to dig it up out of the ground...

TheRedneck

Whataboutism?

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   

No, just pointing out (again) that logging trees makes money.

People out there seem to have a very difficult time grasping that concept...

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   

TheRedneck

I was born and raised in the Los Angeles area of CA.

In my 40s I moved to AZ.

States that share a border --- but, might as well be different planets -- when it comes to thought process.

Having experienced both I CHOOSE the thought process of CA.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

yeah...keep dodging my question.....by the way I never said ca was totally blameless,,,but trump taking tens of millions of dollars away that would help this problem is a BIG deal,,,,,,and very hypocritical after what he first said....and nothing he said after that changes the fact that HE thought it was ok to insult victims of a disaster.....

. Nine of the state's largest fires burned in the past 20 years and all of those within large sections of federal land, according to Cal Fire records. Most of those large fires included some mix of federal and private land.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   

TheRedneck

did you know www.kqed.org...

saw mills in ca are BACKLOGGED there are so many trees

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Re: less money for fire suppression from the Federal government:

The Administration requested a combined $3.72 billion in FY2018, a 12% decrease from FY2017 enacted levels. On September 14, 2017, the Housed passed H.R. 3354, an omnibus measure covering all 12 appropriations bills, including the FY2018 Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies bill. This bill would provide $3.85 billion combined for wildfire purposes, an 8% decrease from FY2017 enacted levels and 3% above the Administration’s requested levels.

Yes, the bad orange man has reduced the amount of money going to this effort.

What is the historic perspective on this?

Looks to me like the amount spent in this area has varied over the years and if the implication is that the amount of money spent is equivalent to how much the president cares about the people being affected, there is still more going be spent this year than in many past years...

Wildfire Management Funding: Background, Issues, and FY2018 App
ropriations

edit on 13-11-2018 by jadedANDcynical because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: research100

way to ignore my post....I will say again

The Trump administration’s own budget request for the current fiscal year and the coming one proposed slashing tens of millions of dollars from the Department of Interior and U.S. Forest Service budgets dedicated to the kind of tree clearing and other forest management work Text Red trump slashing tens of millions for tree clearing

If you look, my post is the next one after yours, so there is a good chance we were making our posts at the same time....REEeee

Your point is moot, the money each year goes up and down, BUT IT IS TRUMP FAULT!!!... better? The issue actually started around 2000 with the larger amount of forest fires, or do you also want to blame that on Trump too.

The question is why pay millions for clearing when you can log for profit?

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   

My God... at least read your own article before you jump to conclusions.

His father, Glenn Duysen, founded the company in 1968. At that time, there were seven other sawmills in the region logging trees in the Sequoia National Forest.

“But as wood became less available, one by one, they went out of business,” he says. Logging was restricted and the creation of the Giant Sequoia National Monument put large tracts of land off-limits.

Now Sierra Forest Products is the only sawmill left in the entire southern Sierra. And it has gone from a two-shift operation to one.

California put the sawmills out of business over their crazy idea about how nature works. California regulated them out of existence. California let the forests grow out of control. Donald Trump did none of that... he was building golf courses!

If you want the fires stopped, drop the damn regulations and let the sawmills make money again. If you don't, then dammit, watch the place burn to the ground. You have a resource that you need to get rid of and which is valuable enough to actually make money for California. Stop regulating it and use it! You don't need any Federal money to do that! I can't make it any clearer than that.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: walkinghomer

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

You're right. Trump caused the fires.

I saw him light them.

For true.

For reals.

It's all rump's fault.

DAMN HIM!

DAMN HIM TO HELL!

Your attempt at being funny failed BIGLY. The right on this forum seem to look up to you for whatever reason. Why don't you use that to close the divide between the left and right on ATS. President Trump made a good point about possible mismanagement but this was not the right time to say this. Let people heal then put a plan together.

It's funny how things work..

When a deranged individual kills a bunch of innocent people, immediate response from the left is ... We don't need thoughts and prayers, we need policy change. Response from the right... now is not the time for policy talk, let people heal.

When a forest fire kills a bunch of innocent people, immediate response from the right...we need policy change. Response from the left...now is not the time for policy talk, let people heal, 'i.e. send thoughts and prayers.

i don't know, i just find it hysterical in a very tragic kind of way.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   
So, even though the National park is in CA, it is the responsibility of the USDA.

Right?

"The Forest Service, a federal agency in the U.S. Department of Agriculture, administers the Sequoia National Forest which consists of three ranger districts."

So, how much say does CA have in decision making?

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: whatsecret

the 2 are different...and I mean no disrepect to victims ,families and friends who have been shot and killed...it is really terrible ...but are they in a evacuation shelter with no home to go home to all their possessions destroyed...are they dealing with the insurance and the government who is supposed to help during these disasters ....these people in natural disasters are trying to deal with the most basic necessities of life...THAT is the difference...do you not see that

of course these fires are a problem...of course it needs to be addressed.....but trump could have handled it better.......and yes theredneck I will admit my last post was not researched as well as it should have been so you have me there! also I appreciate that no matter how fired up your posts are, you have not called me a single name and I appreciate that....I don't call people names either no matter how much I may disagree with them...that is a good policy

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 04:13 PM
link   

and yes theredneck I will admit my last post was not researched as well as it should have been so you have me there! also I appreciate that no matter how fired up your posts are, you have not called me a single name and I appreciate that....I don't call people names either no matter how much I may disagree with them...that is a good policy

Well, thank you!

Firstly, for actually listening to what I said. It is rather frustrating to point out the same thing several times as I have in this thread only to have no one even acknowledge it.

And secondly for recognizing the extents I go to in order to avoid name-calling. That is indeed a worthless enterprise that reflects on the perpetrator rather than the victim... in my opinion at least.

Let me extend a hand of compromise in return: I have no issue with the fact that it will take time to reverse the damage California has done, and should they attempt it, I would expect Trump to instruct his administration to work in conjunction with California on sensible forest management. I also think he could have saved some reasonable sensibilities with different timing. I am watching the fires on Fox now in the background, and the devastation in Paradise CA is heartbreaking!

But I will say this: by inflaming emotions as he did with his poor timing, Trump did at least bring attention to the root cause. Perhaps that will prove to be beneficial in the long run. I hope so.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: research100
a reply to: whatsecret

the 2 are different...and I mean no disrepect to victims ,families and friends who have been shot and killed...it is really terrible ...but are they in a evacuation shelter with no home to go home to all their possessions destroyed...are they dealing with the insurance and the government who is supposed to help during these disasters ....these people in natural disasters are trying to deal with the most basic necessities of life...THAT is the difference...do you not see that

Call me old fashioned , but i believe we have enough humans to do more than one thing at the same time. Victims can continue dealing with necessities of life, rescuers can continue rescuing, charity and government emergency management workers can continue providing support and help, firefighters can continue fighting fires, all while policy makers talk about policies.

Are you under the impression that policy makers are literally working in the field and if they go and start making policies there will be no one left to help the victims?

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join