It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gender and CPR - Women less likely to receive CPR over fears of "sexual assaul" accusations.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

BLS certified, would never ever do mouth to mouth on someone I don't know.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
Even rodents try to save one another from drowning... Jeez Louise. Ants hover in the area if another ant is trapped in a little bubble of water eventhough they can't ever help the dying ant.. And you, a human being, would not help another human being?

Rodents/ants don't live in a society where your life can be ruined for trying to help someone, did you think about that before you responded?? Humans have created a world where you can get in trouble for helping someone all because that someone either didn't like how you did it, or you happened to harm them because you're not fully trained.

I completely understand the sentiment. I know the basics of CPR and the heimlich maneuver, but I've never really had to do any of them myself, and my training was 20 years ago. If I see someone needing the heimlich, depending on where I'm at I'm going to look around and see if someone possibly more knowledgeable than I will take the reins. If nobody is available, then I will jump in and try.

My main concern, besides the life before me, will be whether or not I hurt the person. Growing up my friends and I would pop each others backs. We'd lift each other up and do all sorts of weird holds to get as many spines to pop as we could. I have no issues doing that with a male, my issue comes from doing that to a female. I remember once when I was younger, my boss at a record store was really sore and needed her back popped. I figured since I do it all the time for my friends that I'd pop hers. Well, I did pop hers, but she acted like I hurt her. I don't know if I actually hurt her or if she just did not expect so many pops to occur, but she never asked me to pop her back again. Thanks to her reaction, I've never popped another woman's back again, either.

That same fear translates over to the heimlich as well. If my wife is choking, I will have no hesitation, but I trust her and she trusts me. Some random woman, well, I will hesitate. As much as that sucks saying that, I fear that I would hurt her and that she would sue me. That's the world we live in, and that's why the saying of "The road to hell is paved with good intentions" exists in the first place.

So knock what he said all you want but that's the world we live in. You should be more upset that we live in that type of world rather than call one out for being the by-product of said world.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Necrobile

In California if you attempt to pull someone from danger you can be sued for any injuries that they sustain in your attempt to save their life. California has ruled only medical workers are immune, and bystanders who assist are not.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 12:46 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

exactly, if I think your about to buy the farm, and I can help I will. On the flip of that, I would want someone to help. Im not gonna sue someone if they are legitimately trying to help me. I'm likely in distress due to my own bad habits and poor diet choices.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 03:52 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Well, if I see you in trouble then I'll let you die, eh?

They should teach basic first aid in schools. Most people will never need it, but saving a life through CPR, or just putting someone in a recovery position is life-changing for both parties. Chances are that any first aid would be administered to family and friends anyway, because they are people you spend most time with.

It is not a crime not to help someone (in the UK at least), but it would be an extremely selfish act not to have helped if you could have made a difference. The courts may consider such actions criminally negligent, like not helping a toddler drowning in a garden pond, or ringing an ambulance if you came across a car accident, rather then filming it and sticking it on Facebook.

If you ring for an ambulance, the operator on the end would coach you on CPR anyway, or how to help in some other way before the professionals arrived. Myself, I would not think twice and have gone to help an old man who had collapsed in the street - he was OK.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   
My experience of CPR.

It is somewhere in the photo files.

Anyway my dad went to walk the dog, and while he was gone I smoked a reefer outside (it wasn't legal then).

Then I went back to my room.

Next think all I hear is crash, and mum yelling: come help, come help.

I say to mum phone the paramedics, and for heaven's sake get the dog outside, or they won't come in.

Then looking at this corpse on the kitchen floor.
Foam drooling out the mouth, the only sign of life.
I'm thinking - he's dead, you can't go wrong.

Then I put two deep breaths in his mouth, and he turned, making a strange noise.

Then I was like, you better pump, and I felt his sternum, and as I was taught I was ONE - Mississippi - TWO - Mississippi, and by the time time I got to five, his eyes opened!

I was chanting Hare Krishna, and he's asking me - Peter, why am I on the kitchen floor?
So I said, you were a bit tired and had a nap.
Then he started laughing.

Then the paramedics came, and as they were helping him down the stairs, mum says he had a huge smile on his face.
My breath is apparently a great contact-high.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

You sir are a hero for your reaction. You safed his life and then some.. also, good job thinking about the dog. Respect

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join