It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gender and CPR - Women less likely to receive CPR over fears of "sexual assaul" accusations.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 10:18 AM
link   
The Daily Mail reports that studies show that women are far less likely to receive CPR from bystanders than men who require the life-saving first aid procedure.

For male bystanders the main fear seems to be being accused of "inappropriate touching" and "sexual assault".

Female responses to females was also lower (although lower in general between the sexes), with the main fear being causing further injury.

For my generation of South African men, in general I'd say we're more likely to give it a try with less hesitation, because we were more militarized (do or die was programmed into us), and it does take some physical strength.

However, if it was a woman outside the family or a close friend - I wonder?
I'd probably not be the first one to volunteer these days.
Those "sexual harassment" fears are very real for men these days, and understandably so.

Perhaps the issue could be addressed if women (especially women at risk of a cardiac arrest) could wear some bracelet or other sign, that the men who try to save their lives will not be at risk of "sexual assault" charges.

Source: www.dailymail.co.uk... FoOKphGao04NY96-2B1EG9izvkTTS_Lg

edit on 10-11-2018 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Ladies, if you're sexy and passed out, call me, I'll revive you.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 10:28 AM
link   
dont matter to me

im not giving anyone mouth to mouth

supposedly there are laws in place where you could face a charge if you dont help. not sure.
still

not doing it

as a side note i dont think people should be obligated to try to save someones life.

not saying you should not try.
just saying society or culture or the law places this obligation on people.

i dont think there should be

but is commendable if you do.

running into the church to save the burning kids while the dude with the rings would have let those little kids bun to death. (his words)
commendable.

but look what happened to Johnny

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

A family member gave mouth to mouth to another family member which resulted in that person vomiting into their mouth.
They ended dying anyway.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   
This reminds me of the incredibles.

The guy sued the superhero for saving his life.
He was killing himself.

The cops will be next. They will not respond to black neighborhoods because it's a no win situation

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

He was killing himself.

The cops will be next. They will not respond to black neighborhoods because it's a no win situation

This is what happens in a litigious society. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

My dad was a cop. He once delivered a kid in the back seat of a car. Nowadays, I don't know if the risk is worth it. Kid winds up having some sort of problem and next thing you know, you are being sued and blamed.

Some chick is choking. You do a Heimlich and next thing you know you are accused of touching a nipple or something.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   

I completely disagree with everything you said... Wow...

What if you needed a simple heimlich maneuver to keep you from dying... And the person next to you happens to be same minded as you... That person would just watch you die?

Even rodents try to save one another from drowning... Jeez Louise. Ants hover in the area if another ant is trapped in a little bubble of water eventhough they can't ever help the dying ant.. And you, a human being, would not help another human being?

Are you just saying that because of 'internet' psyche manipulation? Just to be different?
God....

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

A family member gave mouth to mouth to another family member which resulted in that person vomiting into their mouth.
They ended dying anyway.

its definitely the gross factor. i dont even enjoy being touched. i can not imagine getting in someones piece like that.

no thanks

the other part is they wake up and sue your ass.

no thanks again

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Two guys are hunting in the woods.
One of them has to cop a squat and gets bitten on his weiner by a rattlesnake.
His buddy calls a doctor and asks what he should do.
The doctor tells him he needs to suck the venom out.
He hangs up his phone.
The other guy asks "What did the doctor say?"
"He said you're gonna die."

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

He was killing himself.

Already happening. I was going to a funeral and got lost on Chicago's South side. This is years ago when Cabrini Green / public housing projects was around. I saw drug dealers, and then a man with a machine gun out in broad daylight. I started speeding like 80 to 100 in hopes of getting pulled over by the police. Nothing, not a single cop anywhere to be found. Finally found a gas station for help and got scolded by the clerk about why I was in an area like that by myself.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

What if you needed a simple heimlich maneuver to keep you from dying... And the person next to you happens to be same minded as you... That person would just watch you die?

Are you just saying that because of 'internet' psyche manipulation? Just to be different?

well i can tell you i am not just saying it.

we also were not talking about the heimlich.
we were talking about mouth to mouth.
they are different.

i also did not say i would not try and save anyone ever.

what i said was we should not be obligated.
i also said i would not give anyone mouth to mouth.

i would give someone the heimlich.

just like i wouldnt give mouth to mouth i also wouldnt run into a fire.

awesome if you would. i wouldnt

i just dont think we should be obligated.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   

One day you might be in such a situation where you need help from others and if it´s just some food stuck in your throat. I hope karma isn´t too much of a bitch to you then.

You don´t need to use mouth to mouth, you can use mouth to nose.
edit on 10-11-2018 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter

One day you might be in such a situation where you need help from others and if it´s just some food stuck in your throat. I hope karma isn´t too much of a bitch to you then.

yup.
could happen

i forgot how many heroes are on here.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Here, if you want to get your drivers licence, you must be able to not only do mouth to mouth, mouth to nose but also revive someone via heart rythm massage.

If you fail that test you´re not going to drive a car. So on this side of the pond, 80 million people disagree with your stance.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Here, if you want to get your drivers licence, you must be able to not only do mouth to mouth, mouth to nose but also revive someone via heart rythm massage.

If you fail that test you´re not going to drive a car. So on this side of the pond, 80 million people disagree with your stance.

thats very interesting

and i am not on your side of the pond so i guess that dont matter either

lucky for you we will never bump into each other while you need mouth to mouth.

also mouth to nose?

never hear of that.
didnt even know it was a thing
edit on 10-11-2018 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 11:05 AM
link   
You can always google it, if you tend to not believe me.

You put your mouth around the nose while holding the chin and then you blow 2-3 times (it depends) and then you start breaking his ribs while doing revival.

If you would be a tourist in our country and needed revival, changes are you will survive but have some broken ribs. I cant even be held accountable for your broken ribs because it will probably happen during revival.

If you get your drivers license, do you need to have any kind of first-aid knowledge?

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   

You can always google it, if you tend to not believe me.

You put your mouth around the nose while holding the chin and then you blow 2-3 times (it depends) and then you start breaking his ribs while doing revival.

If you would be a tourist in our country and needed revival, changes are you will survive but have some broken ribs. I cant even be held accountable for your broken ribs because it will probably happen during revival.

If you get your drivers license, do you need to have any kind of first-aid knowledge?

no i believe you.
thats why i said it was interesting.

nope.
here you dont need to know any of that #.

pass the drivers test.
pay money
get license

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
dont matter to me

supposedly there are laws in place where you could face a charge if you dont help. not sure.
still

not doing it

as a side note i dont think people should be obligated to try to save someones life.

not saying you should not try.
just saying society or culture or the law places this obligation on people.

i dont think there should be

but is commendable if you do.

running into the church to save the burning kids while the dude with the rings would have let those little kids bun to death. (his words)
commendable.

but look what happened to Johnny

We all know that you don't help people in need.

Karma is hell my friend.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 11:15 AM
link   
It´s not "#". It´s how to safe a human life. I would do that for anyone in need.

Also, there are masks that prevent you from having mouth contact with the person, they cost like 2-5€ and fit on a keychain. I have one of those in everyone of my cars, because I don´t necessarily crave for intimate contact with a stranger either.

Regardless who, I would try to revive anyone. Luckily I never was in that situation, because doing 20-30 minutes of breathing assistance and pumping the heart is exhausting as hell.

In that first aid training, you have to do it for at least 5 minutes and you´ll be exhausted from that. Safeing a life isn´t as easy as it´s shown in the movies.

We are bound by law to at least bring the person in a stable position and care for them until professional help arrives. If you´re unlucky this means your going to pump a strangers chest for half an hour before someone notices you if you can´t get help via phone.

Then that person is bound to help you, too. If you walk away from someone like that, you go to jail.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I keep my keys attached to a pocket mask pouch so there is less of a problem with any mouth to mouth concerns. But I would get down and try CPR regardless. They really don't have time to wait on EMS.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join