It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MORE THAN 1 in 3 Americans On Government Assistance

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Last year, A whopping 114,637,000, 35.5% of the US Population, a staggering 51.7% of children are receiving Government Assistance in one way or another. These programs the Census Bureau included using means-tested government assistance are:

- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (food stamps)
- Supplemental Security Income
- Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women
- Infants and Children
- Medicaid
- Public housing
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
- National School Lunch Program

Think that's a lot? Well, that's down a tad from previous years.

51.7 percent in 2017 was the lowest percentage in any of the last five years on record.

I wonder how much money that involves?

In 2017, spending on means-tested mandatory income security programs will total $260 billion out of the expected $2.5 trillion spent on all mandatory programs.

Woah! That's a lot of cookies!

So what is this "means-tested mandatory income security program"? Hell if I know, but I looked it up and noticed a word that scared the hell out of me when I saw it... "Democrats".

Income security programs aid millions of Americans in poverty by providing direct monetary or non-cash assistance. As designed, they respond automatically to changes in economic conditions that result in more individuals and families needing assistance, immediately kicking in when families need them the most by providing instant relief and stability. Not only do these programs provide a safety net for families in need, they also provide stimulus to the economy during downturns by ensuring families possess the resources to purchase vital goods and services – giving families the ability to protect themselves while simultaneously pumping money back into the economy.

The largest income security programs in terms of federal dollars spent are the EITC and the Child Tax Credit (CTC), which together are one of “the strongest tools to promote work and help workers with children escape poverty and achieve self-sufficiency [3].” The major non-cash benefits are the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and child nutrition programs, including free and reduced-price school lunch. Other forms of income security include cash assistance to low-income parents (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families), subsidized child care, and support for children in the foster care system. While most low-income Americans benefit from some, but not all of these programs, the ones for which they do qualify provide a critical economic safety net.

Looks like I'm paying for a "a critical economic safety net". A "a safety net for families".

I have a family... Why don't we have a safety net? Banks have one... "families" have one... Guess I'm S.o.L.

Any thoughts?

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

Actually you do have one. When things get bad enough for you, you can enroll in any of these programs in which you qualify.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Well rest easy you not paying for my family. however.... even most conservatives want their checks. Lots of hypocracy among conservatives. They are all for smaller government as long as they still get a check.

Funny thing is we could qualify for lots of entitlements. I just wont make deals with the government because there is no up side in the long run. All entitlements and social handouts make you dependent and weak. Go look around at your average american. Fat, gross, disgusting, frail, ignorant....most men wont even tuck in there shirts, pull up their pants, comb their hair. Women have become even more vile. This is what government dependence does.... destroys society....destroys the human spirit.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   

MORE THAN 1 in 3 Americans On Government assistance

that trend should be easily reversed.

Rolls eyes
edit on 9-11-2018 by Aallanon because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   
They took away all the good paying factory jobs with bennies and this is what you got. A consumer based society is not stable, not everyone should be working in retail and sales, half our adults should be working to make the things we need in our society, like washers, dryers, toasters, coffee pots, stoves, refrigerators, and beaters and blenders. Add vehicles and equipment to the mixture and you would see a big increase in jobs. Don't forget the hot water heaters, and the furnaces. We import too much then the consumer based system we are in jacks the price up anyway so we do not save anything. We need those things so that should be our main starting point of building factories for.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: agenda51

Funny thing is we could qualify for lots of entitlements. I just wont make deals with the government because there is no up side in the long run. All entitlements and social handouts make you dependent and weak. Go look around at your average american. Fat, gross, disgusting, frail, ignorant....most men wont even tuck in there shirts, pull up their pants, comb their hair. Women have become even more vile. This is what government dependence does.... destroys society....destroys the human spirit.

Spoken like a true American Cheers patriot

I tend to agree wholeheartedly with this. Frankly, I can understand folks who don't let their children starve but I don't understand what it stopping them from getting a gun or a bow and taking some wild game for food? I would hunt, fish, trap or harvest before I would have ever asked the government for help

There is only one rule in making a deal with the Devil: DONT!!!

Great post

edit on 11/9/2018 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns
a reply to: agenda51I don't understand what it stopping them from getting a gun or a bow and taking some wild game for food?

Private property.

Only in the west are there vast swaths of land that you could easily, illegally, hunt on. If you're anywhere east of the Mississippi, more than likely you'll be hunting on someone elses land and you're liable to get shot if you're wandering around with a gun in your hand. If you live in or around an urban core? You'd have to spend all your time trying to hunt/fish/farm rather than going out and finding a job that'll pay you enough to feed your family.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Those programs make up the majority of govt spending.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   
The thing is, is that more than 1 in 3 Americans need government assistance.
I'd gladly pay up to half my salary for medical coverage and higher education for all US citizens.
That's the world we live in now and this is what it costs.

edit on 9-11-2018 by EmmanuelGoldstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   
And, we've got a lot of new citizens on the way that, coming in caravans and flying into Miami and Chicago.
They're going to need some of our money for assistance too.
But, that's what we do, because we are Americans and we are the melting pot. All are welcome, the weary, the tired...

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: sligtlyskeptical

Actually you do have one. When things get bad enough for you, you can enroll in any of these programs in which you qualify.

Not true. Well, not that simple anyways.

First, I have to lose everything, no value that puts me above the poverty level. Next, I have to wait until the NEXT year unless I didn't make enough to put me over poverty the previous year. Basically, It could be as much as a year and then the waiting time for everything to kick in. Families can end up on the streets in a matter of a week. Imagine waiting a year or more from that point.

As a "middle class" employee, it's hard enough to be able to pay all of my bills, pay for food, pay a car note, insurances and all that wonderful american dream and still have enough money left over to pay the deductible for the doctor visit. The news is right on this part... Middle class people have squat for savings. We truly live day to day, check to check in this world with very little put aside to actually enjoy a day out or a decent vacation. Yet... EBT holders can buy lobster, steak or drugs with the money taxpayers give to them.

I'm fine with helping the needy but I also believe we have to regulate the $#^! out of it like the Dems want to regulate the oxygen I breathe.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: agenda51
Well rest easy you not paying for my family. however.... even most conservatives want their checks. Lots of hypocracy among conservatives. They are all for smaller government as long as they still get a check.

Which america are you talking about? I only see those things in the poorest of places. How exactly are conservative hypocritical when it comes to smaller government? Small government means less money out of my pocket to pay for idiotic programs.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns
a reply to: agenda51

Spoken like a true American Cheers patriot

I tend to agree wholeheartedly with this. Frankly, I can understand folks who don't let their children starve but I don't understand what it stopping them from getting a gun or a bow and taking some wild game for food? I would hunt, fish, trap or harvest before I would have ever asked the government for help

There is only one rule in making a deal with the Devil: DONT!!!

Great post

Too many people against guns and weapons that could do harm to any human or animal alike

I'm sure you were raised like I was... Hunting for food, fishing for food, selling extra for a little extra cash for other needs... That was the entirety of my childhood. Most people couldn't do that today. When the lights go out - people would starve in masse. The ones that were raised on the land likely wouldn't unless it was at the hands of a starving person.

People today just don't care. Times when parents will let their baby sit in a swing for 2 weeks while maggots eat his/her flesh as that child slowly, painfully dies of neglect. I see things like this and it makes me want to be the judge jury and executioner. We shouldn't even spend tax dollars for people like this. Let them live with neglect, starvation and humility.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: EmmanuelGoldstein

For most people, half of their salary would put them on government assistance. It doesn't work that way. No work, no money. The buck will stop somewhere.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Anyone can walk into (or call, or apply online) for food stamps- claiming they are homeless, and get expedited assistance that day. My husband had a DHS employee in his store the other day telling them this. That’s a double edged sword, because it is very easy to scam (they can’t “check” if you’re homeless, just have to take your word). However, for those that find themselves in dire straits, it can be a huge blessing.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Most of the people that I know who are receiving benefits need them and are not scamming to get them. There are a few instances that would be questionable, of course.

Some folks maybe made some poor choices and are unable to pull themselves up at this point because it becomes sort of a vicious cycle, working to support your family with some assistance or going to school to support themselves better with no assistance which is not impossible probably but... because of working.

I've worked a lot but, thankfully I am healthy and able to work as much as needed to provide. I work a regular 9-5 type job and side work (building/remodeling related) because I developed that skill set years ago. Some folks don't have the skill or lack the ability to learn.
One serious illness or tragedy and I would likely become one of the folks needing assistance. My savings wouldn't last forever.

I wonder sometimes what would I do?
Where would I go?
Burden my grown children?

I'm sort of shocked by the numbers and confused by what some of the programs in the OP are but, going on what's written, it's a lot of people.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck

originally posted by: agenda51

Which america are you talking about? I only see those things in the poorest of places. How exactly are conservative hypocritical when it comes to smaller government? Small government means less money out of my pocket to pay for idiotic programs.

Because they only want smaller government as long as it favors them. They love their cheap labor, SSI checks, disability etc. etc. Put it this way... take your average conservative.... remove his entitlements "that he/she will say they earned" and you watch how fast they become a democrat communist. These are your average psudo conservatives and there are a lot of them. They like the idea of small government but when it come to giving up the entitlements they start sounding like communists wanting the government to pay for it....which is a statement that does not make sense. They forgot the government doesnt pay for anything.....you do.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: links234

Illegally hunt

That argument only applies if you aren't on the brink of starving to death. When someone is stranded in the wilderness for months, do you blame them for "illegal hunting" ?

Hey if you want to sign your life away to the government go for it. Like I said, realistically, I don't expect someone to starve to death or let their kids go hungry. If public assistance is the only way, go for it. Don't think my heart doesn't hurt for those people, it certainly does.

What don't you get about uncontrolled spending and debt? Won't be helping anyone when the economy goes belly up due to out of control spending. Who does it help that our currency has been devalued thousands of times over since the 1850's? Who does it help that those same Americans struggling only do so because of exorbitant government handouts (AKA the "taxes" they illegally collect due to an improperly ratified amendment)

Come on. More government is not the answer. It hasn't done anything but spiral out of control over the last hundred or so years. Someone then said "Hold my beer, watch this" and here we are in this mess. They have doubled down, made excuses and essentially self-perpetuated what is perhaps the single largest failed experiment ever: big government.

The only solution is to get back to our roots as a Republic. A Nationalist Constitutional Republic. You know, the real kind.

edit on 11/9/2018 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 03:28 AM
link   

When you apply for these government hand outs,you also deed over anything you own will be a percentage of the government,so when you die the government gets property as well ,no such thing as a free lunch

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 05:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Oldtimer2

no such thing as a free lunch

oh really Mr 4,352,486 stars

top topics

<<   2 >>

join