It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The world’s most dangerous countries for a holiday have been revealed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 12:57 AM
link   
The full title of the article is: TOTAL DISASTER The world’s most dangerous countries for a holiday have been revealed – and some are VERY popular with Brits

We are not talking about war torn countries in this essay but supposedly civilized countries.

Which? has looked at countries, judging them by several factors, putting together information on crime rates, the likelihood of terrorist attacks, natural disasters and health concerns in 20 different countries that are popular for holidays.

It was found some parts of the Middle East and North Africa such as Morocco and Jordan are actually safer than many parts of Europe and the US.

Data was looked at from the World Economic Fund on crime rates, the World Risk Report on natural disasters, the NHS Fit For Travel website on health and the Foreign Office’s assessments of the risks of terrorism.

South Africa was named as the least safe country to visit in terms of crime, followed by Turkey, Thailand, India and Mexico – all destinations that are popular with British travellers.

This is the list of the top 10 countries based on crime.

Number (1) on the list is South Africa which I can remember back in the late 70s was a great place to go for golf and entertainment

Number (2) Turkey..Not much of a surprise there as they have gotten more serious about their religion and the war in Syria

Number (3) Thailand..The roads and traffic are enough to kill just about anyone who is not on guard.. Surprising so many Brits die considering Thailand drives on the left side just like the UK. I know many people who live in Thailand and as far as crime that is pretty far down their list of concerns.

Number (4) India.. Disease and filth played a big part IMO of them making the list at #4... those who have been know what I am talking about. But they are on the crime list for a reason.

Number (5) Mexico.. I have not been to Mexico for at least 10 years but I used to go all the time for doctors and cheap stuff. I went with a friend who had connection with the Gulf Cartel otherwise I would not have gone. Cops pulled me over once (I was in a Corvette) for a money shake down.. She pulled out her cell phone and the cops left me alone smiled and drove off.. It is nice to have friends in high/low places sometimes.

Number (6) USA which I was surprised to see this high on the list..But after thinking about it I am not so surprised after all.

Number (7) Italy which has been having serious financial problems which makes the crime rates soar.

Number (8) France.. I think most of us on ATS know what has been happening in France

Number (9) Vietnam kinda surprises me until I got to thinking about the roads and traffic.. Also there are still some serious scam artist who ply their trade on the unwary .

Number (10) Greece the stepping off point for the latest batch of invaders..What a shame IMO

The next top 10 list is for Natural disasters which you can check the link

The only thing I would add is why is London missing off the list ?
I am but the messenger and did not write the opinion article.. I did find it interesting as others might also.

www.thesun.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 01:04 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Great list, and I am not surprised at all.
One of the problems with tourist visiting anywhere, is that they are tourist and don't know the nuances of the area.

I remember living in Florida, the tourist would stay in some of the most dangerous areas because they found a rental house online cheap! The houses looked great in the photos!

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 02:42 AM
link   
We made number 1!
I’m so proud 😊

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Australia should have made the list but
Most animals eat people whole, even the insects so
Most people are listed as missing persons and not dead or killed
Best stay away, drop bears and hoop snakes will definetly get you

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 03:24 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Brasil should be in the top 10 I think.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 04:23 AM
link   
The article is written by Brits for Brits. There has been a lot of news about Brits behaving badly and getting locked up or killed on their newly rented motorcycles.

Yes the are many countries that could have been on the list but they are not as popular as those listed for Brits on holiday.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 04:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: GreenGunther
We made number 1!
I’m so proud 😊

Finally! Something we are good at.

But, to be honest, tourists can be really stupid sometimes. They ignore local knowledge and advice and wonder why they end up in precarious situations.

Living here is dangerous but everyone does what they can to minimise exposure to risky situations. Like anyone else in the world.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Every country has places tourists shouldn't go.

...and tourists usually stand out, for what ever reason, usually it's because they're acting like tourists.

Again, that can be a dangerous thing to do in the wrong area. In the wrong area, they might as well be wearing signs reading: VICTIM.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 04:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
Every country has places tourists shouldn't go.

...and tourists usually stand out, for what ever reason, usually it's because they're acting like tourists.

Again, that can be a dangerous thing to do in the wrong area. In the wrong area, they might as well be wearing signs reading: VICTIM.

This is very true. Most cities in the world have parts where tourists should avoid. True in the UK, especially true in the US probably due to the prevalence of guns but let's not go there....

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 04:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: deltaalphanovember

originally posted by: GreenGunther
We made number 1!
I’m so proud 😊

Finally! Something we are good at.

But, to be honest, tourists can be really stupid sometimes. They ignore local knowledge and advice and wonder why they end up in precarious situations.

Living here is dangerous but everyone does what they can to minimise exposure to risky situations. Like anyone else in the world.

TIA

top topics

join