It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smile and your day will be better

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Yes. So much better to keep your face stuck in a screen, be it Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, whatever, than to try to interact and be civil to a stranger. And folks wonder why society is the condition it is in.

There are going to be friendly people in the world, unfriendly people in the world, and every degree in between. Some of us choose to lean toward the friendly side, at least a little bit.

For all we know, the young man suspected of suffering some life tragedy could have just been feeling invisible in this great big world. A simple polite comment from a stranger could have made the difference between making it through another day or the day end in tragedy.

If you choose to ignore people, OP, that is your perogative and I wouldn’t think it my place to counsel you. Just as you shouldn’t think it your place to tell me whether to actually I should acknowledge other humans, even if I choose to do it in a cheerful, light hearted way...because I am not a pessimist.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Lab4Us

I agree completely. How dare we even talk to each other in real life or speak some kind words to a stranger.

Hang that grandma but before that, let´s stone her a bit, is what I get from some here.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lab4Us
Yes. So much better to keep your face stuck in a screen, be it Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, whatever, than to try to interact and be civil to a stranger. And folks wonder why society is the condition it is in.

There are going to be friendly people in the world, unfriendly people in the world, and every degree in between. Some of us choose to lean toward the friendly side, at least a little bit.

For all we know, the young man suspected of suffering some life tragedy could have just been feeling invisible in this great big world. A simple polite comment from a stranger could have made the difference between making it through another day or the day end in tragedy.

If you choose to ignore people, OP, that is your perogative and I wouldn’t think it my place to counsel you. Just as you shouldn’t think it your place to tell me whether to actually I should acknowledge other humans, even if I choose to do it in a cheerful, light hearted way...because I am not a pessimist.

Really? Did your u even read what i wrote? Did you get it? I dont think so because if you had you would know i was talking about a completely different thing, not about ignoring him or not talking to him even if knew something was wrong

And facebook and twitter and stuff, what are you even talking about?

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter
a reply to: Lab4Us

I agree completely. How dare we even talk to each other in real life or speak some kind words to a stranger.

Hang that grandma but before that, let´s stone her a bit, is what I get from some here.

Please stop embarrassing yourself

No one said anything about her being a grandma, no one said anything about her age. Your bias is showing badly, this is not a young vs old person argument. Stop and think, this is about what words should be used, go away with you divisive stuff

And no one said anything about talking in real life or not, you are unable of keeping your mind focused, now you are going to deviate even more into the "kids today only like to be on the screen all day"

what does that even matter here, you are using a computer to discuss that?

This has nothing to do with what i wrote, you are confused

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: BoneSay

originally posted by: Onlyyouknow
a reply to: BoneSay

I have resting unhappy face ; Internally I am generally happy and dislike when people tell me I should smile. I think what is it to you, why should I smile to make you happy? My aura is loving and wishes no ill will on anyone. I can't help that my face doesn't have a natural upturned permanent smile.

Most of the time I feel someone's unhappiness and sometimes will gently ask an opening question just in case the person is in need of a sounding board. Sometimes a person needs to vent and sometimes they just want to keep their satchel of sorrows to themselves.

Yeah this is how i would do too, but i could not today, things happened in a different way. I don't know why people think that empty generic words are ok, if i want to help i may be able to or not but can ask, right?

Generic words on terrible times is the version of "an apple a day keeps the doctor away" lmao, i guess if i get a brain tumor that will come handy

I believe that you judged the situation and were correct in your decision.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 05:40 AM
link   
a reply to: BoneSay

You are correct, you should only smile if you mean it, like that song by the killers.

Another example is telling people to cheer up, as if the words alone can lift someone’s mood, if anything it has the opposite affect. A much better approach is to smile at someone, not a big cheesy grin just a genuine empathetic smile that shows you are friendly and understanding.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Onlyyouknow
Same here, I just wasn’t born with a joyful face. I get annoyed being told to smile, I sometimes say it’s just the way my face is.

I have to agree with the OP it’s not always welcomed when somebody tells you to smile. If you are in fact depressed it can exacerbate the feelings of sadness.

On a side note there used to be Labbats beer bottle caps and under the cap there were smile captions “smile, it’s catching”.... “smile, somebody’s watching” . I forget the others.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Micheal Jackson’s favourite song and of course he had a beautiful smile 😊

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
The woman should have told the guy to cheer up because she has really bad gas and is holding it till she gets off the bus.

Five minutes later she lets it all come out and that guy will be the only one laughing.

I knew a guy he was well known around town and always looked sad, People tried jokes and such to cheer him up. It wasn't for several years People learned his little boy was dying of kidney disease and finally with no donor organ died.

I see what the OP is saying.
edit on 10-11-2018 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: violet

Micheal Jackson’s favourite song and of course he had a beautiful smile 😊

Most People would if they paid that much for it.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

originally posted by: rickymouse
The woman should have told the guy to cheer up because she has really bad gas and is holding it till she gets off the bus.

Five minutes later she lets it all come out and that guy will be the only one laughing.

I knew a guy he was well known around town and always looked sad, People tried jokes and such to cheer him up. It wasn't for several years People learned his little boy was dying of kidney disease and finally with no donor organ died.

I see what the OP is saying.

Yeah, in some situations trying to make someone laugh or smile does not work. It would be hard if I felt helpless to help my kid.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join