It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Pope breathing on own again

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Pope John Paul II has been taken off his respirator and can now breathe on his own again. This came after a tracheotomy to help breathing problems the Pope was having as a result of a recurrence of flu-like symptoms. He is supposedly "serene" after surgery to insert a tube into his neck to help him breathe.

abcnews.go.com
Cabinet Undersecretary Gianni Letta, Berlusconi's right-hand man, told reporters at Gemelli Polyclinic Hospital that he had met the pope, who appeared well. After the operation, John Paul raised his hand and attempted to speak with doctors but was told not to try, Letta said.

"I entered Gemelli very somber and sad and I leave very satisfied," Letta said. "Doctors are very satisfied both at how he got through the operation and in these first hours of the postoperative phase."

A medical bulletin was expected around 6 a.m. EST Friday, news reports said. As dawn broke in Rome, all appeared calm at the hospital. Vatican spokesman Joaquin Navarro-Valls said Thursday's procedure was completed in "a positive way" and lasted 30 minutes.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

"The tracheotomy will likely have serious consequences for the pope's abilities to carry on his duties. The operation would prevent him from being able to speak for an extended period and probably require a long hospital stay."

It seems that even if he pulls through this he will unlikely take up his position again, and moves to find his successor must surely be under way.

Apparantly this problem was much worse than the previous one, and the fact that he has had to go back so quickly is not a good sign.

I imagine it'll be a bit of a cat fight between the would be successors.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 06:09 AM
link   
The Pope's spokesman confirms that he has been informed not to speak for days, and is well rested.

Pope Well Rested, Advised Not to Speak for Days

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - Pope John Paul spent a restful night after his throat surgery and is now breathing unassisted, but doctors have advised him not to speak for several days, his spokesman said on Friday.

Joaquin Navarro-Valls said the Pontiff's heart and blood circulation remained good and he had no bronchial pneumonia infection, a possible complication of the tracheotomy performed on him on Thursday to ease his breathing problems.

The Pope had not yet decided whether he would make an appearance to the faithful on Sunday, Navarro-Valls said. The next bulletin on his health is due on Monday.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I don't pray, and I'm not catholic.

But my best wishes to your speedy recovery, Pontiff.

Even us doubters have got to respect a seven hundred year old position and mandate.

new topics

join