It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Active Shooter Thousand Oaks

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

As a kid in Florida during hunting season every truck in the parking lot had a gun in it, yet not once did we have a shooting.

Or a stabbing for that matter and just about every guy in school had a knife.
Had a beef it was a fist fight, try to pull a weapon you got a gang beat down for being to cowardly to handle your business like a man, or take that beating like a man.

I have no idea what has changed since then, I wish I did.

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

As a kid in Florida during hunting season every truck in the parking lot had a gun in it, yet not once did we have a shooting.

Or a stabbing for that matter and just about every guy in school had a knife.
Had a beef it was a fist fight, try to pull a weapon you got a gang beat down for being to cowardly to handle your business like a man, or take that beating like a man.

The reality is it hasnt changed that much.

The big change is the 24/7 news cycle and social media, and the pushing of these stories.

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

I do not recall mass shootings happening at this rate in the past. I do remember a postal shooting here and there but these shootings seem to be happening almost monthly as of late. Perhaps the media is blowing it out of proportion and the amount of mass shootings are equal to the 50s, 60s, 70s etc etc in relation to population. If anyone has any stats to back that claim up I would be dumbfounded!

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Hey Red, hope you’re feeling good!

But I just wanted to mention/question;

Wasn’t one of the LEO’s, who one presumes to have been armed, responding to last night’s active shooter call, shot and killed as well?

So, being armed, even if well trained to handle a weapon, is no guarantee that you’ll fair any better than someone who is not armed.

In fact, if this nut job had been armed with a chainsaw instead of a gun, there might be one more officer on watch today.
edit on 8-11-2018 by Bhadhidar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar

Good point.

But don't hope for a logical retort.

No one so far in this thread has said neither one is right, even those whom agree with each other.

A million solutions which seem to circumnavigate the real problem, except admit the problem.

The thing is, that guy's brother can just go out and get a gun tomorrow if he's of age and not a felon, no further inquisitions, no context, no needs... Just a right to protect against the government....

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

I disagree. There has been a big change.

For one thing, there is more vitriol coming from Congress critters, more unopposed violence from groups like ANTIFA, and more pushback in the form of violent speech against the gunphobes. At least in video games (which too often get the blame), the violence is fantasy and I think most people can understand the difference. The violence and threats of violence I listed above are reality.

Also, we are in the first generation where people are expected to live with less than their parents since the Great Depression. Success has become a fleeting dream for far too many due to the economic woes we have gone through. Add in a more permissive society when it comes to child-rearing (anti-corporal punishment, participation trophies, declining standards to protect feelings, etc.) and we have an entire generation that are facing disappointment for the first time with no mental maturity to fall back on. What we are seeing is, in my view, children in adult bodies with adult capabilities throwing childish temper tantrums because they simply don't know better.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   
this video is just heartbreaking. one of the victims father -

LINK

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Doing OK. Thanks for asking!

Wasn’t one of the LEO’s, who one presumes to have been armed, responding to last night’s active shooter call, shot and killed as well?

So, being armed, even if well trained to handle a weapon, is no guarantee that you’ll fair any better than someone who is not armed.

The difference is in the tactical situation. The officer who was killed was rushing headlong into a secured position. The shooter had already stationed himself for a defensive posture, so in this instance it was he who had the advantage. When the shooter first entered, however, it was he who was entering a secured position, and it would have been he who was at a disadvantage had someone there been already armed.

In any firefight, the one who is already in position has the advantage.

That said, you're right about one thing: there are no guarantees. For all that, there's no guarantee that someone will not drive by and fire a bullet into me while I am typing this... if it posts, you'll know that didn't happen; if not, you'll know it did. I can't live my life living in such fear. I have taken precautions to protect myself... I am inside a well-built house; I have a good view from multiple windows of the area around it; I live far from other humans; I do not go around looking for trouble; I am well-known to be armed with not just guns, but close-range weapons such as knives and blunt objects as well; I am (normally) able to handle myself in hand-to-hand combat. I rely on those precautions to handle 99% of any problems that occur, and I remain aware of my surroundings, vigilant, and armed to combat the other 1% if they occur. And I am not afraid, just prepared.

That's as close to a guarantee as anyone can get in this world.

TheRedneck

ETA: It posted, so I'm still alive!

edit on 11/8/2018 by TheRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

And a whole lot more people on mental health meds than there use to be. Don't know if that is the case in all shootings, but it seems to be prevalent with the young ones

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: knoxie
this video is just heartbreaking. one of the victims father -

LINK

This whole situation is just so tragic. That video and I'm sure there will be others like it are just heart wrenching. My thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of all who have lost someone precious in their lives. Now I'm crying.

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Another case where family worried - mom thought he needed help.

edit on 11/8/2018 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   

I don't think that a general unwillingness to be severely beaten, and arming oneself to prevent it, is such a crazy idea.

But that's not what these people are doing.

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
Another case were family worried - mom thought he needed help.

Sometimes it sucks to be right.

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I'm sorry I haven't been through the 15 pages yet but first thing in my mind was, what are the odds that a mass shooting happens at a bar called the "Borderline" previous to a showdown at our own border?

It's terrible, and weird. Like everything lately.

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Nobody was severely beaten that I saw it was always beaten till you quit/tap out/give up etc.

If you are going to try and get in a fight you should be ready for the possibility of losing.

Maybe kids today have issues accepting they sometimes lose, back then 9 times out of 10 the loser and the winner were sharing a beer later that day.

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

I'm not going to deny that... it's just not something I am that familiar with.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Maybe kids today have issues accepting they sometimes lose, back then 9 times out of 10 the loser and the winner were sharing a beer later that day.

I haven't been in a fight since I was 12 years old. Because I grew up.

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
a reply to: odzeandennz

There is no practical way of removing firearms from the public in the US, if that is the intended solution.

While you're right, the only person to mention that is you.

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

Good point.

But don't hope for a logical retort.

No one so far in this thread has said neither one is right, even those whom agree with each other.

A million solutions which seem to circumnavigate the real problem, except admit the problem.

The thing is, that guy's brother can just go out and get a gun tomorrow if he's of age and not a felon, no further inquisitions, no context, no needs... Just a right to protect against the government....

I don’t have a problem with someone being able to buy a gun (legally, of course).

I don’t think I would ever want to do that, myself, but that’s just me.

I DO have a problem with someone, who is neither a LEO nor active-duty military, going out and being able to buy a gun that can fire off multiple rounds in a matter of seconds; the “spray and pray” scenario.

I just do not see why civilians need that kind of capability.

Want, maybe. But not NEED.

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Congrats?

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join