It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is the world's oldest known work of figurative art

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:16 PM
link   
This is the world's oldest known work of figurative art

Scientists have used one of the most reliable methods of dating to determine that a painting of a cattle-like animal found in a cave on the island of Borneo is at least 40,000 years old, making it the earliest known work of figurative art.

They believe the art started around 50,000 years ago.

The researchers, whose findings were published in the journal Nature, divided the paintings in one cave into three categories that show that transition over time. The oldest images are red-orange paintings of animals, such as cattle, and hand stencils; followed by maroon-coloured hand stencils and depictions of humans; and finally, illustrations of humans, boats and black-coloured geometric designs.

Source

Another Source

Nice find, of course. I always enjoy hearing about the evolution of art over time. Cave art is important due information it gives that can't be provided by archeology, or at least fully anyway, as it depicts a way of life. It also shows that art did not arise specifically in western Europe as once believed.
edit on 7-11-2018 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-11-2018 by dreamingawake because: Video from source

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

I love this!

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Interesting that this find would be on Borneo.
This means the Polynesian dispersal was among the first mass-movements of modern humans.
Time to rewrite pre-history again!
My wife will be ecstatic as she lived with the Iban people as a child.

The hand paintings may remind of kindergarten projects but to the early humans it was no doubt a moment of wonder and realization. this beautiful shape of a hand represents the myriad things hands are capable of doing. Hands make us human in many ways. With the creation of this art I think it's more a celebration of hands themselves rather than someone "signing' the wall like graffiti. I believe it was a leap in self-awareness.
edit on 7-11-2018 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Pretty cool thanks for sharing!

new topics

top topics

join