It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Voting for something you love or voting against something you hate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   
In the last few years it seems as if everyone is experiencing more and more hate. The mid terms and 2016 election cycle have shown me that everyone is looking for an enemy to blame their unhappiness on.

We need to begin voting for something we love instead of voting against something we hate.

In my opinion we have a bad culture. The culture of the United States is centered around material wealth and becoming the monkey with the most banana's. We are obviously far more capable of that but we have been instilled with this idea that having nice things is the most important part of life and it's obviously not.

We need a new mythology.

Goo gle

a collection of myths, especially one belonging to a particular religious or cultural tradition.

What is our cultural tradition? Is our cultural tradition making big money and buying nice things? Is that it?

Is there more to life than that?
edit on 7-11-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Yes. Except it may not be an option.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

that could be true, I vote libertarian and for a republican if I had no choice but I vote libertarian because I believe in decentralized power structures not because I hate republicans or democrats

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   
It isn't about "becoming the monkey with the most bananas". The people who suffer that delusion and rail against their successful counterparts who share this false belief are typically just failed versions of those garden-variety psychopaths. Or as the creators of South Park put it (clean version): penises copulating with anuses. And then, of course, after the penises get done with the anuses the anuses just defecate all over everything.

If you're referring to the "American Dream" then it is simply about the opportunity to achieve a place in life where you can live comfortably within your means so that you can do things like get online and whine about a whole host of other perceived problems or slights. There are still a lot of countries on earth where people don't have that luxury. If anything, the issue just might be that we're too successful in that achievement and we have become perhaps too comfortable and subsequently too whiny.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I have never voted FOR anyone. My vote always goes AGAINST the dorks, round headed boys and fascists.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 07:55 PM
link   

In my opinion we have a bad culture. The culture of the United States is centered around material wealth and becoming the monkey with the most banana's. We are obviously far more capable of that but we have been instilled with this idea that having nice things is the most important part of life and it's obviously not.

Easy now, what are you some leftist commie?

Money is life, money equals smart, money equals happiness. All that matters is an available job as a cog in a machine. Who cares if society burns.

Jobs, it’s all about jobs. And the economy. When you have that, nothing else matters in society.

(Just so we’re clear, I hope the sarcasm was apparent to everyone)

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
I have never voted FOR anyone. My vote always goes AGAINST the dorks, round headed boys and fascists.

Dont run for office

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

yes it was and I appreciate where you're coming from

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Yep. Republicans attaching themselves to moral legislation and the Christian right ruined them for me. Well, that and literally the largest budget increases even in a moment like now when the economy couldn't be better.

Yet we have a trillion in debt...stop worrying about biblical sins and stop spending.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:41 PM
link   

my perspective comes more from the kind of energy we are putting into the system. we continue to fuel the system with hate rather than love

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:46 PM
link   

That I agree with. It's just very hard to do when 95 percent of the population has no concept of the social concept.

I guarantee some of the far right would be appalled by jefferson.

So sometimes it's hard to get the motor started.

I live in a small population state. Can't complain too much myself. I love my neighbors and the politicians could be far worse. Even the progressives had mental health for first responders as a main focus.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:48 PM
link   

I totally agree with you. where I'm at in this state the situation continues to look more hopeless, inevitably it will get to a point where it can no longer be hidden or contained the truth will come out

that's when heads will roll

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 09:04 PM
link   

I meant to say social contract not concept.

Everyone thinks their point of view should win. The reality is we all have to co exist. I dont dislike people based on their politics. I wish they would understand we all are America. It's good that its messy.

Imagine living in Singapore. It's like a utopia. Except for the lack of personal liberty. It's easy to be right when you have force on your side.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Singapore is a Utopia for the rich

top topics

join