It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 year old being charged as an adult

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   
kstp.com...

10-Year-Old Wisconsin Girl Charged as Adult in Connection to Death of 6-Month-Old

Lord have Mercy, is this story awful!

This article doesn't go into detail but i'm local and this is what they are saying happened.

A 10 year old girl has been in the foster system, she is there in her foster home which is also a licensed daycare.
I'm assuming they have her there helping with the younger kids.
The 10 year old dropped a 6 month old baby, and he hit his head, she freaks out and basically starts stomping on his head.
The poor baby dies after a few days in the hospital.

It is absolutely horrible to think about, but is it ok to try this 10 year old as an adult?

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
kstp.com...

10-Year-Old Wisconsin Girl Charged as Adult in Connection to Death of 6-Month-Old

Lord have Mercy, is this story awful!

This article doesn't go into detail but i'm local and this is what they are saying happened.

A 10 year old girl has been in the foster system, she is there in her foster home which is also a licensed daycare.
I'm assuming they have her there helping with the younger kids.
The 10 year old dropped a 6 month old baby, and he hit his head, she freaks out and basically starts stomping on his head.
The poor baby dies after a few days in the hospital.

It is absolutely horrible to think about, but is it ok to try this 10 year old as an adult?

Any word on why she began stomping the baby's head?

And no...a 10 year old shouldnt be tried as a adult.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Terrible story. She should be in psychiatric care. And regardless of the crime, a 10-year-old should never be tried as an adult. There is absolutely no reason your life should be over after a handful of years of consciousness.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   

That would be total abuse of the system a 10 year old's brain isnt fully developed . It would be wrong in so many ways , These prosecutors need to stop .

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   
So wait... If she's tried as an adult, could she get the death penalty? Sentenced to death at the age of ten?

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   

No she shouldn't be tried as an adult, however the adults using a 10 year old to care for a 6 month old should be tried as an adult. That's too young in my opinion without close supervision. In some locales, if you can't leave a 14 year old unsupervised after school, then a 10 year old should not be handling a 6 month old without someone as in a adult, ready to prevent something like this.

Just tragic. And while she may face prosecution as an adult, she will not face a death penalty nor will she be sentenced to an adult jail, at least not until her 18th birthday. At least that is how it normally works. Again I say it is the adults who should be on trial.
edit on 11/7/2018 by DJMSN because: addition

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Good God, that's a horrific story.

Tried as an adult? In what world is a ten year old held to adult standards?? These prosecutors need to change brands of what ever it is they're smoking...

...and what would make a kid freak out like that?

I've met evil in my life, but none were 10.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   

No, it's not okay.

We differ between juveniles and adults for a reason. While sometimes that dividing line can and should be blurred or removed altogether, not in this instance, from your description.

At 10 years old, it's very probable that she didn't fully understand what was going on and what the final outcome would be--it almost sounds like she may have a bit wrong in her head, to be honest. She doesn't have the maturity to rationalize such things, and her brain will not fully mature for another 15 years, which is more time than she has been alive.

This is terrible all around, and if they try her as an adult, that will be another tragedy on top of it all.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Being in the foster system and living in a daycare center throws a bunch of red flags for me. Sad story all around, but the child shouldn't be charged as an adult. That shouldn't even be a question.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   

It is a Wisconsin state law to first bring felony first-degree homicide charges to an adult court if the accused is 10-years-old or older.

“By statute, a 10-year-old or older is required to at least start out the process in adult court, and that’s why we’re here today,” the judge explained to the girl, her parents and the victim’s family.

It looks like the judge followed the law, but I don't think that's anywhere near the end of it. I highly doubt this 10 year old will be sentenced as an adult. It mentions in the article it will likely be moved to another court.

No a 10 year old should not be sentenced as an adult. Still, this 10 year old stomped an infants head until dead to keep from getting in trouble. 10 years old is old enough to know better than to stomp an infants head in. I can't have much empathy for that. The punishment needs to be severe. Lets not forget the infant and the infants family.
edit on 11/7/2018 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

Good God, that's a horrific story.

Tried as an adult? In what world is a ten year old held to adult standards?? These prosecutors need to change brands of what ever it is they're smoking...

...and what would make a kid freak out like that?

I've met evil in my life, but none were 10.

I don't know if I would classify this girl as evil. I think this is a child that has probably seen some horrific abuses in the foster care system, maybe even seeing adults do that. I can't even imagine....

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

"Any word on why she began stomping the baby's head? "
www.kansas.com...

In court on Monday, Chippewa County Sheriff James Kowalczyk said the girl told authorities that she was holding the child and dropped him, according to the Minneapolis Star Tribune. The girl then said the baby hit his head on a footstool, Kowalczyk said in court. “When the baby cried, she panicked and stomped on the child’s head, the sheriff said,” according to the newspaper. The baby’s injuries were “consistent with a heavy force/pressure,” the sheriff said in the statement.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: DJMSN

Yes, they should be held accountable as well. From the op source looks like it's going to be looked into.

The state will now examine the daycare license and foster care license issued to the Tilden home. Investigators say the owner has shut down operations while the 10-year-old’s case is in court. No one answered the door at the home on Monday following the child’s bond hearing.

I'm assuming she'll be in a psychiatric facility in the meantime.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   
A truly tragic and horrifying event.

I don't mean to offend anyone but I've noticed a decent amount of kids who end up in half way homes/foster homes, have some sort of mental complication or misunderstanding. I have my thoughts on whether or not they should have been running a daycare out of the home they hosted their foster children in, but that's another story I suppose. I feel bad for her because clearly something isn't connecting like most folks connect- and she surely didn't ask to be born that way.

At the same time, had it been my child I'm not sure I'd care about that or what age she was.

Sad all around.

-Alee

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: NerdGoddess

Doesn't it make you wonder if they only got this girl to foster as a form of free labor!!!
There is no way a ten year old should be watching an infant of that age.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: sine.nomine

There is absolutely no reason your life should be over after a handful of years of consciousness.

Go ahead and think about that for a moment. You have the right idea, but attributed it to the wrong person.

There is no reason an infant's life should be over.

This event isn't as bad as what the two 12yo did when they shoved batteries up a 3yo ass before killing him and leaving his body on the tracks, but there are too many kids who think they're untouchable and can get away with murder.

The kid may not understand the seriousness of what they've done, but that doesn't mean there aren't any consequences.

A child takes a life and they get a juvenile slap on the wrist?

A kid that steals should be tried as a child. A kid that kills or rapes should be tried as an adult.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: wtfatta

Sounds like from the quotes by Sheriff James Kowalczyk , that she knew what she was doing, apparently enough so to lie about the situation. That's the concerning part. I hope she gets the help she needs and not prison(see prior comment by me).

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: NerdGoddess
A truly tragic and horrifying event.

I don't mean to offend anyone but I've noticed a decent amount of kids who end up in half way homes/foster homes, have some sort of mental complication or misunderstanding. I have my thoughts on whether or not they should have been running a daycare out of the home they hosted their foster children in, but that's another story I suppose. I feel bad for her because clearly something isn't connecting like most folks connect- and she surely didn't ask to be born that way.

At the same time, had it been my child I'm not sure I'd care about that or what age she was.

Sad all around.

-Alee

It is really sad all around. I think if a child is killed by another child that there needs to be a thorough understanding of the events that led up to such an act taking place. Why was a ten year old left to be responsible for an infant for long enough for the infant to not only be dropped but repeatedly stamped on? I also very much doubt that there were no signs that this child had the type of emotional issues that would make them capable of such an act. While I agree that the child needs to be punished in a age-suitable fashion, it also seems apparent that a number of adults need to be held accountable for both those children being placed in the position that resulted in such a horrific outcome. Both those children have been severely let down by those adults whose responsibility it was to care for them.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Another person(s) learns not to trust, in general, other people. One adult and three kids ends in failure. I suppose one adult has never been able to properly oversee and care for three children.

I would think the thing to do is shutdown the foster/daycare activities. Someone can get an outside job.

edit on 11/7/2018 by roadgravel because: typo

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: KilgoreTrout

Why was a ten year old left to be responsible for an infant for long enough for the infant to not only be dropped but repeatedly stamped on?

That would seem to be question one. Some adult is incapable of supervising children.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join