It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Elections Are Over. What Now?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT
Watched Pelosi last night and she was spewing crap about an new day for the nation and how the dems were going to lift the nation with infrastructure, jobs and bla, bla, bla, bla. The beatch hasn't done anything for the nation in 30 years other than grab power and enrich herself. Look for more obstruction and gridlock. Samo, samo. Nothing new here. but I'm sure some here believe this is the second coming of Christ.

Congress actually got a lot done, look at the record of what Trump signed in the last 22 months...it is actually astounding.

And really, Pelosi and the Dems could have had that 2 years ago if they thought of anything other than hate Trump. Unless they put aside partisanship and identity politics for the next 2 years, last night will have sealed the coffin on the dem party.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: GeechQuestInfo

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Maybe we can finally see the democrat 2020 platform other than "Hate Trump".

The party platform of "Hate Trump" will likely be enough to win the presidency in 2020.

Only if people vote them in.
Which wouldn't surprize me.

Look how many democrats won based on eliminating the tax cuts.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:25 AM
link   

The party platform of "Hate Trump" will likely be enough to win the presidency in 2020.

It worked so well in 2016.

I doubt they'll double down, but they'll probably make hate Trump lite™.

They'll get some publicity agents and come up with a re-branded platform.

"We're not Trump"™

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Only if people vote them in.
Which wouldn't surprize me.

Look how many democrats won based on eliminating the tax cuts.

It shouldn't surprise anybody if Trump loses in 2020.

Wisconsin- 22,748
Pennsylvania - 44,292
Michigan - 10,704

Total- 77,744

Those are the votes you need to flip to win the Presidency this next go round.

The Democrats lost those states in large part due to apathy in 2016. They just swept those states this past midterm in both Senate and Gubernatorial races this year. They should be able to take the Presidency, but a lot can happen in 2 years.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
So now that the midterms are in the rear view mirror it's time to look ahead and see what could possibly lie in store for the country over the next few months.

I would say to look back at the last six years of Obama for your answer as to what lies ahead, but I honestly think that Trump is a much better dealmaker than Obama ever was or will be, so I actually expect him to lighten up on his approach to getting things done as it pertains to the treatment of the Dems.

The big question is, will the Dem-controlled House act like adults, or will they feel like they have free reign to throw an official hissy fit that they've been salivating over for two years? That remains to be seen, although I have my suspicions. If they re-appoint Pelosi as the Speaker, then we'll definitely know which route they are taking.

So expect him and his supporters to ramp up the fearmongering in regards to the caravan over the next month.

It's not fear mongering to point out probable issues with some people in these caravans and to be prepared for it and to not allow them to take advantage of an unprepared border security. Pretending that these concerns are just fear mongering is intellectually dishonest and, in reality, fear mongering in itself.

One interesting thing I haven't seen discussed much is that we may see a shift in leadership for the Dems. While it's expected for Pelosi to be chosen as the new Speaker of the House it's not a 100% guarantee. She needs 218 votes in order to seize the position. Among the Dems running last night there were around 60 that openly stated they would not support her for the job. ... There's also the possibility that Pelosi will throw her support behind Adam Schiff. This is definitely something worth keeping an eye on over the next few days to see if Pelosi actually has the numbers she needs.

I honestly think that Pelosi is getting a bit senile in her old age, and it was noticeable years ago. I can't imaging that any DNC strategists would advise people to reinstate her as speaker--the Dems constantly talk about how the Repubs never change and are stale and stagnant. Appointing her again would be just those things.

Of course that leads us to the other big thing that we can now start looking forward to, the lead up to the 2020 election. Expect to start seeing the Dems jockeying for who will be their candidate. I think Warren, Booker, and Harris are pretty much guaranteed to be throwing their hats in the ring. I also won't be surprised if Mark Warner gets involved. We may also see some more surprising names like O'Rourke or someone like Tulsi Gabbard. Although she'll only be 39 in 2020 so her youth may prevent her from being seen as a serious candidate.

Of all of those listed, Gabbard is the only one who I see as possibly being a healing candidate who would start suturing up the bash between both sides. I mentioned it in another thread, but I would love to see a Rand Paul/Tulsi Gabbard ticket, because both seem very rational and logical when it really counts, and both would reign in our military and its use and abuse overseas. Plus, while each has their own party-line beliefs, both are capable of crossing the aisle and compromising if it's necessary.

Anyone else that you just mentioned would be as bad as Obama and Trump have been concerning the polarization and divisiveness of our elected officials and our country.

So other than a possible government shutdown next month and the inevitable gridlock that will start in January that's pretty much how I see the next few months shaping up. Anyone else have predictions they want to share?

Like I mentioned at the start of my comment, I expect Trump's tone in regards to the Democrats to change, even if only slightly. He's a dealmaker, and now he has to make deals with "the opposition," so his approach will adjust accordingly. How the Dems react, though, is up for massive speculation.

I am soooooo not looking forward to the 2020 campaign ads. Fact checkers better be ready and willing to put in long hours, because they are going to filled to the brim with bullsh*t.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

0% chance the Democrats give an inch to Donald Trump. Of course they will obstruct anything he brings to the table (not that it will be much).

No deals will take place, and the country will be gridlock'd like it was from 2010-2016.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: GeechQuestInfo

That's a lot of speculation, because I don't put it past the Dems to shoot themselves in the foot massively, just like they did between 2008 and 2010, and then ever year after that up through now, when the standard pendulum swing occurred after a regime change at the presidency.

I don't foresee Trump losing, but you are correct, a lot can happen between now and then. I bet that Trump adjust himself according to the new majority in the house and still is able to get things done, albeit with more compromise and a bit more effort.

That's not a bad thing, IMO. As long as he can refrain from being an absolute ideologue, things can still happen that are good for the country. But it takes two to play, so we'll see how the new Dem majority acts. Unfortunately, I don't have high hopes.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:37 AM
link   

IMPEACHMENT

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

IMPEACHMENT

Derp

link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

IMPEACHMENT

Glad you could join the conversation Max!

link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

There are two paths we may go by (my thanks to Led Zeppelin for the intro)...

The way I see this is that the voters decided to give the Democrats a second chance at actual leadership. Many of those who will make up the House in 2019 are newly elected. I think perhaps this is intentional; there is an argument to be made for a check and balance on runaway Republican agendas. The concern before today among those who lean conservative has been that the Democrats had shown themselves to be not just unfit to provide that check and balance, but were so far off center as to need their own check and balance even in the minority. Perhaps with the new blood, that has changed. I sincerely hope so. I have spoken about the dangers of either party attaining absolute power since before the 2016 election.

If the House will lead... and by lead, I mean do their job and provide good legislation on the things that have bipartisan support... this is their chance to overcome the last two years of extremism. I previously stated in another thread that one litmus test I will be looking for will be who is chosen to lead as Speaker of the House. If it is Nancy Pelosi, I doubt there will be much of a change from the extremist views. If it is a more moderate Representative, I will look forward to some actual leadership coming out of the House.

Should the Democrats in the House choose to continue with the extremist anti-Trump rhetoric, should they begin more investigations into Trump (and Kavanaugh) in some sort of frenzied attempt to continue to try and thwart the will of the voters, we will see little progress in the next two years and the 2020 elections will see failed Democrats again asking for another chance. I doubt seriously they will get it in that case. But should they try to actually reach across the aisle and work with the Republican Senate and the President, offering compromise instead of demands, we will see a return to more normalcy in government.

The simple fact is that despite the wins, the House Democrats are still under a tight leash. They have the ability to launch investigations, yes... but they do not have the authority to compel the President (or any member of a co-equal branch) to testify or provide documentation. Mueller has more authority that the House in that respect, being associated with the FBI/DoJ itself. The DNC itself has lost two of its most important tools to maintain control of government: the FBI and the courts. The last two years have seen Trump cleaning out the FBI of corrupt leadership and stacking the courts with constitutionalist instead of activist judges. The previous tricks of blackmailing opponents with FBI investigations and reports, or of using activist judges to act as fixers for any opposed action are gone. There may be a few judicial opinions that attempt to stall Trump's agendas, but those will continue to become more and more rare as time goes on.

The American people, I believe, are fed up with the investigation nonsense. The Kavanaugh hearings served to expose the issues with underhanded tricks to improperly influence government processes. The result was the removal of the "blue wave" and actual gains... actually massive gains in certain respects... in the Senate for the Republicans. Any attempt to investigate without clear and convincing evidence of a crime will be seen as just a waste of time and money, and any attempt to impeach without evidence of a crime will not only be futile, but will be seen as a lack of integrity by the House itself.

The Senate is actually the big story. There were modest gains in number for the Republicans, but more importantly are the gains in conservative Senators. John McCain, rest his soul, is gone. Jeff Flake is gone. Bob Corker is gone. They have been replaced (and this is assuming no last minute surprise in Arizona) with Republican Senators more attuned to Trump's agendas. Thus, we now have an even easier route to confirmation of cabinet and judges, as well as an easier route to ratification of new trade negotiations. Those are two vital areas that the House has no say in.

This leads us to actual legislative issues. There is nothing legislative that can be accomplished by the House alone, just as there is no legislative agenda that can be accomplished by the Senate alone. This can lead to gridlock, or it can lead to compromise. Continued anti-Trump rhetoric will lead to gridlock, which I do not believe was the desire of the voters. Compromise, however, can lead to even better tax solutions, a reduction in the deficit, infrastructure improvements, a revamping of the Federal drug laws, immigration reform, DACA legislation, and a host of other issues which have (or at least have had when the Congress was Democratically controlled) bipartisan support. That, I believe, is the will of the voters.

I believe Trump when he says he is willing to work with the Democrats. I do not believe he means that in the sense of simply agreeing with the Democrats to be nice. I think he expects them to compromise and negotiate in good faith, as do I.

In short, this can work... and it can work well. It's all up to the Democratic House of Representatives. You got your chance; the people gave you that yesterday. Now, let's see what you can do with that chance. Your future is in your own hands.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey
a reply to: GeechQuestInfo

That's a lot of speculation, because I don't put it past the Dems to shoot themselves in the foot massively, just like they did between 2008 and 2010, and then ever year after that up through now, when the standard pendulum swing occurred after a regime change at the presidency.

I don't foresee Trump losing, but you are correct, a lot can happen between now and then. I bet that Trump adjust himself according to the new majority in the house and still is able to get things done, albeit with more compromise and a bit more effort.

That's not a bad thing, IMO. As long as he can refrain from being an absolute ideologue, things can still happen that are good for the country. But it takes two to play, so we'll see how the new Dem majority acts. Unfortunately, I don't have high hopes.

I agree, it's completely speculating and prognosticating. But it's a fairly safe guess. Those 3 states had gone D in every presidential election since 1988. Had Hillary even sent a body double to those states, she may have seen different results. Had the DNC not basically proclaimed the election in the bag, she may have seen different results. If she was just a respectable candidate (right or wrong) she may have seen different results.

I'm pretty sure anybody but Hillary would have done SOMETHING with regard to those 3 states (which completely flip the election) and would have won. That's not what happened, and that's fine, I just have an extremely hard time of seeing how those 77,000 votes don't regress back to the mean.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: theatreboy

I thought the democratic coffin was sealed after the 2016 election when I heard their coffers were near bankrupt. Where did their money com from for this election? Super Pacs? Citizens United needs to be overturned. Financial campaign corruption? Hell, the FEC needs to be investigated. Corrupt garbage inside the beltway.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Oh Silly, what for? The Senate won't prosecute.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   

I thought the democratic coffin was sealed after the 2016 election when I heard their coffers were near bankrupt. Where did their money com from for this election? Super Pacs? Citizens United needs to be overturned. Financial campaign corruption? Hell, the FEC needs to be investigated. Corrupt garbage inside the beltway.

I think this issue could actually bridge the gap between Republicans and Democrats.

Would be great to see the President fight for this, and it would be a resounding political win for him if the Democrats obstructed.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Open borders,amnesty, free healthcare, free college, making the “rich” pay their “fair” share, gun control...etc

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:47 AM
link   

I’m sure you’ll love president pence! By by roe v wade

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:49 AM
link   

I see someone has chosen her path.

A poor choice, but a choice.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:52 AM
link   

I think this issue could actually bridge the gap between Republicans and Democrats.

Would be great to see the President fight for this, and it would be a resounding political win for him if the Democrats obstructed.

There is a massive gulf between the extreme right and extreme left. If compromise can happen both sides will have to make extreme concessions. We will see.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   
For the first time in two years, Donald Trump will be held accountable for his words and actions.
Baby won't like that, and will have many, many unattractive tantrums.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join