It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Elections Are Over. What Now?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 07:50 AM
link   
So now that the midterms are in the rear view mirror it's time to look ahead and see what could possibly lie in store for the country over the next few months.

I think the next thing we will see almost immediately is Trump pushing very hard to get funding for his wall. If he can't secure it by the December deadline then he has pretty much lost any hope of getting it built. So expect him and his supporters to ramp up the fearmongering in regards to the caravan over the next month.

There are also rumors currently swirling that Sessions and/or Rosenstein could be on the way out. If this comes to pass expect these roles to be filled with Trump loyalists. Trump now has a stronger control over the Senate so he will pretty much be able to get whoever he wants appointed. If things had gone the other way and the Dems had taken control of the Senate he would have been forced to fill these roles with people that are more moderate.

One interesting thing I haven't seen discussed much is that we may see a shift in leadership for the Dems. While it's expected for Pelosi to be chosen as the new Speaker of the House it's not a 100% guarantee. She needs 218 votes in order to seize the position. Among the Dems running last night there were around 60 that openly stated they would not support her for the job. I haven't gone back and verified how many of those candidates actually got elected, but it wouldn't take many to spoil it. If this is the case we may see an informal campaign for the position. Some of the names I've seen thrown out as potential challengers are Tim Ryan from Ohio, Hakeem Jeffries from New York, Terri Sewell from Alabama, and John Yarmuth from Kentucky. There's also the possibility that Pelosi will throw her support behind Adam Schiff. This is definitely something worth keeping an eye on over the next few days to see if Pelosi actually has the numbers she needs.

One other place that we should keep our eye on is Texas. I've heard some rumblings that if O'Rourke lost to Cruz but did well enough he may consider going for a Presidential run in 2020. Losing by two points in traditionally Red Texas to a big name incumbent like Cruz could be enough to convince him that he has enough support to make a real go at the Oval Office. So it will be interesting to see if he starts shutting down his campaign or if he starts transitioning it for a 2020 run.

Of course that leads us to the other big thing that we can now start looking forward to, the lead up to the 2020 election. Expect to start seeing the Dems jockeying for who will be their candidate. I think Warren, Booker, and Harris are pretty much guaranteed to be throwing their hats in the ring. I also won't be surprised if Mark Warner gets involved. We may also see some more surprising names like O'Rourke or someone like Tulsi Gabbard. Although she'll only be 39 in 2020 so her youth may prevent her from being seen as a serious candidate.

So other than a possible government shutdown next month and the inevitable gridlock that will start in January that's pretty much how I see the next few months shaping up. Anyone else have predictions they want to share?

+8 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Gridlock.
Impeachment hearings.

And in 2 months. . . . . the 2020 presidential campaigns will start!

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Gridlock. Impeachment hearings.

Gridlock won't feel too much different than what has been going on the last two years. They have failed to get many tasks expected of them done.

I doubt we will see impeachment hearings unless Mueller has a bombshell.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Unfortunately, the elections have just begun. This time next week, the first commercial for the 2020 election will air. It's a neverending cycle, just as history often repeats itself, elections most assuredly repeat themselves.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Gridlock won't feel too much different than what has been going on the last two years. They have failed to get many tasks expected of them done.

If Mueller had a bombshell, it would have "leaked" prior to last nights election in order for dems to gain control of the Senate.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I believe we will have continuous impeachment hearings from here on out. Any and all butthurt will want them. Mad max will lead the charge

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:03 AM
link   
The only way the dems would have learned anything would be if the republicans had won both house and senate. Soooo, nothing changes. I still can't support a democratic candidate cause they refuse to stop the nonsense of hate and identity politics.

Nothing worse than when the party that's supposedly for human rights and equality supports the opposite and refuses to distance themselves from their racist prejudiced hate filled supporters.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

If Mueller had a bombshell, it would have "leaked" prior to last nights election in order for dems to gain control of the Senate.

Agreed, I seriously doubt they will try to roll with it seeing as that is a minute possibility.

Should they try, it will be suicide for them in 2020.

Unless they pull their camp together and focus on their platform, they won't win.

They have to sell their platform over Trump's.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Maybe we can finally see the democrat 2020 platform other than "Hate Trump".

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:07 AM
link   

I'm not putting money on it.

My guess is they will run Harris or Biden and their campaign will be "I'm not Trump".

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Watched Pelosi last night and she was spewing crap about an new day for the nation and how the dems were going to lift the nation with infrastructure, jobs and bla, bla, bla, bla. The beatch hasn't done anything for the nation in 30 years other than grab power and enrich herself. Look for more obstruction and gridlock. Samo, samo. Nothing new here. but I'm sure some here believe this is the second coming of Christ.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Now is the time for Trump to tell Sessions, Rosenstine and Muller, YOUR'E FIRED!
edit on 7-11-2018 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:11 AM
link   

The gridlock that will go into effect January 2019 will make 2017/18 look like the most efficient Congress in history.

As to the OP, we can only hope someone besides Pelosi (and her surrogate, Schiff) are voted in as speaker and someone from a reasonably governed State becomes speaker. People that think the way California is declining is the way to run the Country are dangerous. Hoping some of the new blood, especially the Veterans, put Country over party.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Well, NV is now CA lite. I guess I'll be turning in my scary black rifles, my high cap mags, all my ammo, and getting the NRA tattooed on my forehead so all the liberals can throw stones at me.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:14 AM
link   
it's time for mueller to at least start revealing what he's found to at least the republicans in the congress and the white house if he has anything on trump and pence that would be cause for impeachment or prosecution so they can decide what they want to do and at least have the next couple of months to get it done.
otherwise, well, the chain of succession will change and could possibly lead to a democratic speaker of the house-- polosi.
so, for the good of the country, if both pres and vp is gonna be wiped out by these investigations... and to preserve the republican control of the presidency... it's time to know just where things stand on this!!

"In all fairness, Nancy Pelosi deserves to be chosen Speaker of the House by the Democrats,” Trump tweeted. “If they give her a hard time, perhaps we will add some Republican votes. She has earned this great honor!”

www.politico.com...

I have no idea if Ryan has soiled his nice clean white robe by getting involved in the russia mess, or if he would even be considered in the chain since he opted not to run again, but having polosi walking away with the presidency would probably be like throwing a lit match on a powder keg. which, I am sure, trump knows which is why he said this.

the elections are over and it's time for Mueller to speak!!!

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:14 AM
link   

The Elections Are Over. What Now?

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Watching the House is about to become interesting. In the past, Dem leadership was able to keep tight control over their newer members. Whether you like Pelosi or hate her you have to admit she has been able to keep them in line. That may not be so true this time around. I guess we'll have to see how rambunctious the new members are and how willing they are to bend to her will.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I expect the Democrats in the house to act like total asshats for the next two years.

Should secure a republican victory in 2020.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:20 AM
link   
1. The Dems will invoke the Article I, Section 2, Clause 5 and start an impeachment inquiry and demand Mueller to provide his finding so far.

2. Trump will use the "Lock her Up" threats against Hillary as reprisal.

3. Tomorrow, 2020 campaign ads will flood the airways.

4. Nothing substantial will be passed for the next 2 years.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:21 AM
link   

The party platform of "Hate Trump" will likely be enough to win the presidency in 2020.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join