It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No waves Reflections on the mid terms

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 10:53 PM
link   
So there was no wave of any color, so it looks like no surfing for us.

The republicans gain in the senate, the dems in the house.

First and foremost, I wish all people elected the best, and hope they do great for the country, though my gut tells me most on both sides will suck as usual.

I get that us anonymous posters online made all sorts of crazy predictions, and it will be fun to see if anyone eats crow.

I myself predicted almost exactly what happened; repubs win senate, dems house. Of course I also was not certain at all, and to be honest am usually wrong, so I am sort of surprised.

However, what is more interesting to me is where is the massive blue wave that most of the dems in power and media promised us? They said that trump was so hated that his party would be wiped out.

Oops!

Now although republicans did lose the house, it is almost always the case that a sitting presidents party loses in the midterms. And trumps party did much better than Obamas did after his first two years.

So maybe, just maybe, the whole country doesnt think trump is a racist fascist authoritarian that is the worst person ever.

Or maybe they do, but dont think any higher of the dems.

Either way, no blue wave.

In addition, many of the new faces in the senate and house on the republican side are bigger fans of trump, meaning they are more likely to fight for his agenda. While that may be tough in the House, in the senate, it seems like the added seats and the fact they are more pro trump will be a great boon to Trump.

Also, I wonder if almost the entirety of people with cultural power in this country, almost all of academia, almost all of the msm, and almost all of the people that control social media werent mouth pieces for the democrats, how would the election have turned out?

Just like with the Hillary election, even with all the cards stacked in tgheir favor, having control of almost all institutions that influence public opinion, the dems still cant make significant gains.

Imagine if even 30% of these institutions had right wing people, what a change that would lead to.

Yet still the dems will pretend to be "fighting the power".

SO it will be fun to watch both sides claim tghis as a great victory, when the truth is it is basically a draw.

The real winners are all of us that dont have to have those stupid campaign ads interupt our hockey viewing anymore!

+11 more 
posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Oh and something to ponder.

All 4 senate dems that were in close elections that voted agaisnt kavanaugh lost.

The one senate democrat in this situation that voted for kavanaugh, Manchin, won.

Maybe arguin against due process wasnt a good idea.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

So there was no wave of any color,

Hopefully this means that the people are keeping it center of the line. Keeping it in check😊

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

So there was no wave of any color,

Hopefully this means that the people are keeping it center of the line. Keeping it in check😊

I am for small government.

SO to me, sometimes gridlock is good. The less they are doing in congress, the less harm they can do.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:12 PM
link   

No argument, I'm Republican.. but even I didn't hit the ALL THUMBS UP on red and walk out.
My small X to the O.😊

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:32 PM
link   

One problem, any and all investigations into the DOJ, FBI, IRS related corruption and abuse of power will cease in January.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

One problem, any and all investigations into the DOJ, FBI, IRS related corruption and abuse of power will cease in January.

Except the IG report.

And lets be honest, even with a republican controlled house, they were being stonewalled anyways.

It will be up to trump to release the documents to let the public see.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I said I would vote a straight ticket Republican for the first time ever this election. Then, ballot in hand, I couldn't do it. Mostly Republican, but not all. I expected the GOP to keep the Senate and the DNC to win the House as well. The surprise is how few House seats were flipped, in my opinion.

I just hope people will get tired of this extreme left or extreme right crap and work together. It's like the whole country is in a tiffy to demonize and dehumanize everyone else. I'm getting sick of it.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:54 PM
link   
How did Republicans gain 4 Senate Seats, but only have a 52 member majority? I thought Repubs had a 51 member Senate Majority before today's election.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
How did Republicans gain 4 Senate Seats, but only have a 52 member majority? I thought Repubs had a 51 member Senate Majority before today's election.

As of now they have gained 3 seats they did not have.

However, the final tallies have not been added up.

So there are some seats they already had that are not being conunted in the total.

If they retaian all 51 seats, and gain four, at the end, they will have 55 seats.

But we wont know until the reults are in.

Right now, they have 51 seats already in the bag.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Thank-you...this chart www.nytimes.com... was throwing me mental curveball. But you explained it well. Thank-you Grambler.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Thank-you...this chart www.nytimes.com... was throwing me mental curveball. But you explained it well. Thank-you Grambler.

No problem, it is confusing as all get out.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 12:09 AM
link   

It's going to be very frustrating for Nancy Pelosi. She won't have 100% Dem cohesion for her most radical proposals. And the Senate will shoot down much of the Democratic agenda that does get passed in the House.

In summary: NO Trump Impeachment. NO Kavanaugh Impeachment. NO Abolishment of ICE. NO Medicare for all. NO tax increases.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 12:53 AM
link   

What would this election and world look like through an unbiased lens of media...for fun sakes just for this term let us say if they reported totally 50/50.

Maybe all this bias is a necessary part of an agenda that most do not see.

Not divisive OR inclusive...something else altogether....

We are now expecting this mass insanity..can we handle an incoming wave of awesome truth?

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 12:56 AM
link   

By the way you are a fantastic poster...well thought out and described..hope you have good friends who think freely as yourself...you deserve it.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 01:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: ParasuvO

By the way you are a fantastic poster...well thought out and described..hope you have good friends who think freely as yourself...you deserve it.

Good friends, great family and wife; I am pretty lucky.

I may be poor and covered in too much hair, but I love life!

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 01:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

originally posted by: ParasuvO

Good friends, great family and wife; I am pretty lucky.

I may be poor and covered in too much hair, but I love life!

If you have good friends and a loving wife you are far richer than money could ever achieve....

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 02:14 AM
link   

So there was no wave of any color, so it looks like no surfing for us.

I disagree. I think the Democrats did about as well as was predicted. They may end up taking a few more seats in the House than was expected (+35 or so?) and lose a seat or two more in the Senate (-3 to -5) but all of the models showed them only having something like a 14% chance of taking the Senate going into this. The seats that have been flipped so far aren't exactly shockers either. Heitkamp? McCaskill? (though Donnelly was toss up, I thought he'd pull it out)

There were some notable disappointments, particularly in Florida and maybe GA depending on how this governor race goes. All in all, it was about what I think most sane people expected. Speaking of which, the Dems have also picked up 5 governorships and will possibly pick up 1-2 more. That's pretty much in line with predictions.

Was it a tsunami? No. But it was more than a ripple. To be fair, it was a solid night for the Republicans in the Senate too. They'll definitely be breathing even easier when it comes to confirmations.

I will say that it was quite a tsunami for women, including the Republicans.

However, what is more interesting to me is where is the massive blue wave that most of the dems in power and media promised us? They said that trump was so hated that his party would be wiped out.

Oops!

What media are you referring to? I'm asking because I haven't been seeing any promises like that. I've seen a lot of people who were a little gun shy following the 2016 elections not wanting to commit to much.

Now although republicans did lose the house, it is almost always the case that a sitting presidents party loses in the midterms. And trumps party did much better than Obamas did after his first two years.

That's true but usually they're not getting the benefit of the sort of economic metrics that Trump is getting. Imagine if he didn't have that going for him?

So maybe, just maybe, the whole country doesnt think trump is a racist fascist authoritarian that is the worst person ever.

Or maybe the caravan arrived just in time to get the racist authoritarians to the polls? Or maybe it was rigged? I hear these things are rigged.

You could also posit that maybe the midterm fear mongering over immigration and "violent left-wing mobs" wasn't the best strategy and it actually hampered the Republicans.

Either way, no blue wave.

I'm calling it a wave.

In addition, many of the new faces in the senate and house on the republican side are bigger fans of trump, meaning they are more likely to fight for his agenda. While that may be tough in the House, in the senate, it seems like the added seats and the fact they are more pro trump will be a great boon to Trump.

The Democrats also just elected a bunch of fresh faces, many of them young and quite a few are vets too. Could be a good time to get some rebuilding done. I'd except to see some of these folks trying to make a name for themselves.

I think that we're heading for some # next year. That rumbling about the debt is going to get louder. If tax revenue doesn't spike *a lot*, then what? How are we going to justify having a booming economy AND piling on record debt? We're not. So then how much from where are Republicans going to trying to cut?

Also, I wonder if almost the entirety of people with cultural power in this country, almost all of academia, almost all of the msm, and almost all of the people that control social media werent mouth pieces for the democrats, how would the election have turned out?

Are you saying that smart and talented people are disproportionately leftists? It's not all bad, you've got both Scott Baio and Antonio Sabato Jr. — oh and the Dilbert guy.

Just like with the Hillary election, even with all the cards stacked in tgheir favor, having control of almost all institutions that influence public opinion, the dems still cant make significant gains.

Lol. The Republicans have a number of baked in advantages: like the EC and Senate apportionment — the fact that the liberal base is clumped up in population centers which means that whiles millions and millions of Democratic voters in a state like California are represented by 2 Senators, a similar number of GOP voters spread over a dozen reliably red low population states are represented by 24.

Then there's the chronic gerrymandering and the fact that Republicans are running amok purging voter registrations, closing polling stations, changing polling hours, suppressing votes wherever possible.

Then of course in 2016, they literally had a foreign power meddling in the election to help them. Let's not forget that. This time around this caravan organizing jackass decided to give Trump and friends something to talk about.

Imagine if even 30% of these institutions had right wing people, what a change that would lead to.

You don't think that 30% of the media is right-leaning? You're wrong. Didn't you catch the thread? Fox news topped CNN and MSNBC combined in viewers last month. That's a bigger than 50% share of cable "news." I mean, Trump literally trotted out the Fox lineup at a rally yesterday. Basically all political talk radio is conservative. There's no shortage of right-wing websites. They're also dominating local TV — with Sinclair forcing its affiliates to run its prerecorded propaganda segments during local news broadcasts. The "alternative media" is dominated by right-wing hackery. And of course, there's literal fake news.

Really, the areas where the Right is most lacking in the media are newspapers and national news form the big 3 broadcast networks. I guarantee in terms of consumption, right-wing media accounts for way more than 30%.

Yet still the dems will pretend to be "fighting the power".

You mean like how Republicans have deluded themselves into believing the ivy league educated billionaire globalist is fighting the "global elites?" And how his base has basically appropriated the left-wing anti-establishment lexicon and changed all the meanings? The same people who # all over OWS back in 2011, the authoritarians who get goosebumps every time they hear "law and order" and screech for the government to "pull CNN's broadcast license" and lock up everyone they don't like.

What's more absurd? Dems pretending to "fight the power" or the above people going from borderline neo-fascist fantasizing to calling people "statists?" There's nothing more ironic to me than somebody in a MAGA hat who is all "Antifa! Antifa! Antifa!" when in reality, while basically appropriated the whole anti-established "fight the power" "down with the globalist elite" shtick.

SO it will be fun to watch both sides claim tghis as a great victory, when the truth is it is basically a draw.

Meanwhile, we'll call it basically a draw and then get into long drawn out explanations about how the outcome *really* bodes well for one side or the other?

The real winners are all of us that dont have to have those stupid campaign ads interupt our hockey viewing anymore!

Not a hockey fan but amen to the end of stupid campaign ads!

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 02:37 AM
link   
I didn't make any predictions on this one. I have been dissatisfied with both parties for too long. With the Dems taking the house there will be a lot of investigations just like when the Repubs did back when they took it. I was more concerned about the my Governor election here than anything else. The Dems had a guy wanting to do away with SYG and castle doctrine which pissed me off. Our previous governor Rick Scott already gave ground on the second amendment and was running for Senate. I voted against him for that. Since he already acted like a Dem then may as well elect a real one. He still won, but just barely.

Oh well, two more years and it will happen again. I hope that both parties get their heads out of their arses and straighten up, but I predict that neither will.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 02:42 AM
link   
As long as both parties actually do something silly like talk and work together, it will be better for the country.

If the Democrats go full retard... then 1 party rule here we come.

ETA: and nobody wants that...
edit on 7-11-2018 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join