It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Halloween: good or evil? let's find out.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Noinden

I wasnt calling anything satanic, just made a general comment

Halloween christian or not, not interested in bickering over that

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: toms54
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

I don't know much about satanism but I have been reading up on the Mexican version: Day of the Dead. Customs vary but generally they take this holiday to the next level. Some of them even dig up the bodies of their loved ones, clean the skeletons then spend the day visiting their deceased by eating dinner with them and just hanging out.

Hopefully, some of the refugees from south of the border will bring these vibrant customs with them to celebrate Day of the Dead in our own country!

Because it's not already celebrated in america??

www.thrillist.com...

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

I asked if you could name a Satanic festival. I will take it that you can not.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

That's a Halloween costume.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Halloween is the best holiday. You can celebrate it any way you want. Watch some movies, have some candy, dress up, etc etc. Its the average day for most people + costumes + it pisses off Muslims (# them). The best holiday ever created, every day should be Halloween!

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: FocusedWolf

Never heard of Halloween # off Muslims. In that case it must piss off all Abraham religion followers.

“For some of us, Halloween is everyday.”

― Tim Burton

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

originally posted by: toms54
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

I don't know much about satanism but I have been reading up on the Mexican version: Day of the Dead. Customs vary but generally they take this holiday to the next level. Some of them even dig up the bodies of their loved ones, clean the skeletons then spend the day visiting their deceased by eating dinner with them and just hanging out.

Hopefully, some of the refugees from south of the border will bring these vibrant customs with them to celebrate Day of the Dead in our own country!

Because it's not already celebrated in america??

www.thrillist.com...

You'd think the American Catholics would be all over The Day of The Dead like flies on horse s#, considering their morbid affinity for worshiping in churches housing relics of dead people, or in ones built of & decorated with bones of the dead. It's a holiday match made in heaven -- pun intended.

It's gaining ground in a more secular manner, though, and that's fine. It's a pretty neat holiday in it's own right.

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 07:06 AM
link   
As a huge fan of Halloween, it's not evil. I did a thread years ago on Halloween or Samhain back when I had time to research topics and make threads. It was a fun thread because i learned things I never knew about Halloween. The reasons we wear costumes or do "Trick or Treat."

I know there is a group of people who associate Halloween with evil and to this day I will never understand how they come up with that nonsense.

The Origins of Halloween or Samhain

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 06:26 AM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver
The Origins of Halloween—What Does the Bible Say About Them?

The Bible’s answer

The Bible does not mention Halloween. However, both the ancient origins of Halloween and its modern customs show it to be a celebration based on false beliefs about the dead and invisible spirits, or demons.—See “Halloween history and customs.”

The Bible warns: “There must never be anyone among you who . . . consults ghosts or spirits, or calls up the dead.” (Deuteronomy 18:10-12, The Jerusalem Bible) While some view Halloween as harmless fun, the Bible indicates that the practices associated with it are not. At 1 Corinthians 10:20, 21, the Bible says: “I do not want you to be participants with demons. You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons too.”—New International Version.

Halloween history and customs

Samhain:
The origin of Halloween can be traced to this “ancient pagan festival celebrated by Celtic people over 2,000 years ago,” states The World Book Encyclopedia. “The Celts believed that the dead could walk among the living at this time. During Samhain, the living could visit with the dead.” However, the Bible clearly teaches that the dead “are conscious of nothing at all.” (Ecclesiastes 9:5) Thus, they cannot contact the living.

Halloween costumes, candy, and trick or treat: According to the book Halloween—An American Holiday, An American History, some of the Celts wore ghoulish costumes so that wandering spirits would mistake them for one of their own and leave them alone. Others offered sweets to the spirits to appease them. In medieval Europe, the Catholic clergy adopted local pagan customs and had their adherents go from house to house wearing costumes and requesting small gifts. The Bible, on the other hand, does not permit merging false religious practices with the worship of God.—2 Corinthians 6:17. [17 “‘Therefore, get out from among them, and separate yourselves,’ says Jehovah, ‘and quit touching the unclean thing’”; “‘and I will take you in.’”]

Ghosts, vampires, werewolves, witches, and zombies: These have long been associated with the evil spirit world. (Halloween Trivia) The Bible clearly states that we should oppose wicked spirit forces, not celebrate with them.—Ephesians 6:12. [12 because we have a struggle,* [Lit., “wrestling.”] not against blood and flesh, but against the governments, against the authorities, against the world rulers of this darkness, against the wicked spirit forces in the heavenly places.]

Halloween pumpkins, or jack-o’-lanterns: In medieval Britain, “supplicants moved from door to door asking for food in return for a prayer for the dead,” and they would carry “hollowed-out turnip lanterns, whose candle connoted a soul trapped in purgatory.” (Halloween—From Pagan Ritual to Party Night) Others say that the lanterns were used to ward off evil spirits. During the 1800’s in North America, pumpkins replaced turnips because they were plentiful as well as easy to hollow out and carve. The beliefs behind this custom—the immortality of the soul, purgatory, and prayers for the dead—are not based on the Bible.—Ezekiel 18:4. [4 Look! All the souls*[Or “lives.” See Glossary.]—to me they belong. As the soul of the father so also the soul of the son—to me they belong. The soul* [Or “person.” See Glossary.] who sins is the one who will die.]

Myth 1: The Soul Is Immortal
Myth 2: The Wicked Suffer in Hell

Why I Don’t Celebrate Halloween

‘Surprisingly, I like Halloween time. “Why?” you may ask. Because it makes me think. It makes me think about the reason I choose not to do certain things. Each person has to answer for himself whether the origins of a custom matter. I think that the origins do matter. For example, most people would get upset if their neighbors got dressed up as Nazis. Why? Because of the origins of Nazi uniforms and what they stand for​—principles that most people find offensive. I find the principles offensive that the devil, wicked spirits, and witches represent, and I don’t want to be associated with them. It’s good to think about the choices we make and our reasons for making them and to make choices based on principle rather than on what is popular. That’s why I like this time of year. I am proud to be different and to stand by what I believe in.’

Do Not Be a Victim of Propaganda! Awake!—2000

How can you protect yourself from the types of people that the Bible calls “profitless talkers” and “deceivers of the mind”? (Titus 1:10) Once you are familiar with some of their tricks, you are in a better position to evaluate any message or information that comes your way. Here are some ways to do this.

Be selective: ...
Use discernment: ...
Put information to the test: ...
Ask questions: ...

Do not just follow the crowd:
If you realize that what everybody thinks is not necessarily correct, you can find the strength to think differently. While it may seem that all others think the same way, does this mean that you should? Popular opinion is not a reliable barometer of truth. Over the centuries all kinds of ideas have been popularly accepted, only to be proved wrong later. Yet, the inclination to go along with the crowd persists. The command given at Exodus 23:2 serves as a good principle: “You must not follow after the crowd for evil ends.”

edit on 9-11-2018 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic

The Bible is not a source to be trusted with regards to Samhain. the Ancient Jews did not meet the Irish. The Early Christians in Ireland, had no problem with the Pagan Irish.

So if you use the bible, its not going to mention Samhain, or All hallows eve, let alone Halloween.

Lastly Halloween is a Christian high day. Though I am sure some joker here will say Catholics are not Christian

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join