It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Hivemind

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Has anyone else noticed how members around here always seem to pick up the same buzzwords and phrases at the same time and then use them incessantly? Fake news, libtard, nazi, plantation, Dims, Trumptards, triggered, etc., etc., etc... and now the newest buzzword/phrase seems to be NPC.

Where do all these words and phrases come from and why do people act like the Borg when they are introduced? Does anyone else see the "sheepish" nature of this trend? It's been a constant for the past few years if not longer, bitter definitely now noticeable lately.

Why does hardly anyone have an original thought anymore? Why does everyone follow the herd and start talking alike and have what seems like the same exact thoughts? It reminds me so much of a hivemind where no one has individual opinions, they're all shared between the group. Anyone goes against the groupthink and they're cast out as either a "Trumptard" or a "libtard" and ridiculed for going against the grain.

Flame away, I already have a good idea that most members will attack me personally instead of addressing the topic at hand. At least that's what I'm used to, prove me wrong ATS, please.

Also, add any other buzzwords that you are familiar with and let's get a list going. I listed mostly right wing buzzwords because that's what I hear the most on here burr I'm sure the left has their words as well.
edit on 11/6/2018 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Because they're shorthand that fits.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Welcome to the internet.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: The GUT

Ok, so why do people act like Borg when they hear these new words and phrases? You don't find that a little odd especially seeing how there is so much talk about people not thinking for themselves around here?

I haven't seen you use them very much if at all so I'm not talking about you. You seem to have a mind of your own thankfully.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Cheers, there was also a time when most of the users on this site realized how foolish it is to trust the people who want power over us.
edit on 6-11-2018 by wheresthebody because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Phrases like "Hivemind"?

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Well, thank you but I think a lot of the folk do have a mind of their own. Not all mind you.

Most of it is backlash for being unfairly called racists and homophobes and such. You don't see what you call a hivemind when terms such as those are being handed out freely?

edit on 6-11-2018 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   

I call it Social Entrainment.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Because people like to do that.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   
People always want to be hip,innovative. You don’t know what NPC Means?! Wow your so yesterday! How does my Kangoo hat look with my new beard color?!?!

Monkey see and all that, the human race is quite pathetic at times.

(post by knowledgehunter0986 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

Interesting thread, looking through it now.

I agree that that's exactly what it is, "social entrainment", great term to use. Those in power seem to know how to manipulate us into walking in lockstep. They use the media to accomplish their goal, this site is a great example of their work being accomplished, unfortunately.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:38 AM
link   
“Original thought” is viewed as “hard” or difficult and too time consuming (as if spending hours per day on a screen isn’t?).

More importantly, original thought, as you put it, sets one apart from the crowd, labels one as “other”, and therefore possibly, potentially, dangerous and an enemy.

Someone mentioned that these buzzwords you question are a form of “shorthand”; the perfect means by which two (or more) strangers, fearful of each other’s intent, can quickly and positively establish a “safe zone”, and possibly an alliance (strength in numbers!), from which to confront a unknown, and potentially oppositional world.

Personally, I do not like to allow my fear(s) to determine how I face the unknown.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
Has anyone else noticed how members around here always seem to pick up the same buzzwords and phrases at the same time and then use them incessantly? Fake news, libtard, nazi, plantation, Dims, Trumptards, triggered, etc., etc., etc... and now the newest buzzword/phrase seems to be NPC.

Where do all these words and phrases come from and why do people act like the Borg when they are introduced? Does anyone else see the "sheepish" nature of this trend? It's been a constant for the past few years if not longer, bitter definitely now noticeable lately.

Why does hardly anyone have an original thought anymore? Why does everyone follow the herd and start talking alike and have what seems like the same exact thoughts? It reminds me so much of a hivemind where no one has individual opinions, they're all shared between the group. Anyone goes against the groupthink and they're cast out as either a "Trumptard" or a "libtard" and ridiculed for going against the grain.

Flame away, I already have a good idea that most members will attack me personally instead of addressing the topic at hand. At least that's what I'm used to, prove me wrong ATS, please.

Also, add any other buzzwords that you are familiar with and let's get a list going. I listed mostly right wing buzzwords because that's what I hear the most on here burr I'm sure the left has their words as well.
you mean like cult45, and trumpanzies? yea, I have noticed that the left does that as well as the right.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   

All I can say is -- I try not to.

And try to remember to put quote marks on buzz words.

(post by Breakthestreak removed for a manners violation)

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Sure. Here are some you used.

Buzzword
NPC
Borg
Sheepish
Follow the herd
Hivemind
Groupthink
Flame away

Phrases enter the lexicon and some leave. No one uses “23 skidoo” any more, but unless you have never heard of “Star Trek; Next Generation” you do know who the Borg are. That’s not unusual. It’s a part of popular culture.

But your argument reflects the very thing you are complaining about, and it is very much “ATS speak.” It is used by people who consider themselves smarter and more independent than the average ATS denizen to claim a position of superiority. Your post is literally filled with buzzwords and is very typical of the kind of attitude you see on ATS all the time.

And it is in essence an “ad hominem” argument. It’s an attack on people that lacks any substance. The very same argument is used by flat-earthers, people who say we never went to the Moon, chemtrail believers, and anyone who is an adherent of [insert your favorite conspiracy theory here] that is not well-accepted. Anyone who does not believe you is, by definition, “following the herd.” But not YOU. No! You are the paragon of independent thought, seemingly unaware that you are doing the exact same thing you are complaining about. Just look at your own screen name. You consider yourself "enlightened." I see no evidence.

edit on 11/6/2018 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join