It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More people arrested in the UK over......a Joke.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: Unruhestifter

You don't get to decide what humor is.Nor should anyone be arrested over a video.
If your offended just don't watch the video....simple.

Mocking the death of 72 people in a horrific fire is not humour , it's sick and an act likely based in racism , if you think that's acceptable in a civilised society then that's your issue.

Racism HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

God do you progressives reach.

When all else fails throw out the race card!

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Why doesn't that surprise me.

I'm not a progressive I'm British and while I'm glad these idiots have been arrested I doubt they will actually be charged with anything.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Unruhestifter

You don't get to decide what humor is.Nor should anyone be arrested over a video.

Mocking the death of 72 people in a horrific fire is not humour , it's sick and an act likely based in racism , if you think that's acceptable in a civilised society then that's your issue.

Racism HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I would have to agree the whole F#d up video had very heavy racist tones to it.

You don't think so?

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

So its fine for Hollywood to do it, spend 100s of millions on it , market it to the whole world , put it in theaters and make people pay to see it.

But some drunk idiots at a party do something racist its a crime?

The video surely is in bad taste because for want of a better term its "real"

Hollywood gets away with it because its "artistic fiction" and Hollywood since early days has been infiltrated (?) as a means to shape perception, a propaganda tool.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Why doesn't that surprise me.

I'm not a progressive I'm British and while I'm glad these idiots have been arrested I doubt they will actually be charged with anything.

You used the race card. A very progressive thing to do.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64

originally posted by: Unruhestifter

Racism HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I would have to agree the whole F#d up video had very heavy racist tones to it.

You don't think so?

No.

Its just a few dicks heads laughing over a tragic event where people of all races died.

I dont go around looking for racism in shadows and under rocks.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Damm people are nuts. Yes its racist and poor taste.

But it seems the only people who are offended by it are people who were not even there.

And they are offended by a video of paper burning and wanting to lock people up for burning paper.

You sound like Muslims wanting to lock people up for not believing in Allah or kill them for a bad Allah meme.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:32 AM
link   

I was not aware that "tower block" was a race?

edit on 6-11-2018 by Unruhestifter because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   

You used the race card. A very progressive thing to do.

It's not a race card it's a likely reason why they did it.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

So where do you stand on other effigies? For example Boris holding May's severed head - surely they should also be charged?

I, for one, am deeply disturbed by them even having to answer questions about this.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1
Damm people are nuts. Yes its racist and poor taste.

But it seems the only people who are offended by it are people who were not even there.

And they are offended by a video of paper burning and wanting to lock people up for burning paper.

You sound like Muslims wanting to lock people up for not believing in Allah or kill them for a bad Allah meme.

Yes, not a crime to burn paper.

There's was an intent there. It's not like they accidentally set paper on fire.

This doesn't warrant an arrest. But we're grooming society to take a very ugly path.

Pain goes through the same receptors in the brain, whether it's physical or mental. You can punch someone in the gut and they cry, because it hurts, you can utter a few words to someone, and they cry.

Communication is an integral part of our physiology, because it's not something tangible doesn' mean less real.

Say a word in a specific tone can cause a child to burst into tears, so can a spank...

Critical thinking shouldn't be void because of 'internet'

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

They are two totally separate things , Mrs May still has her head unlike the Grenfell victims who are dead and not deserving of mockery.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flavian
a reply to: gortex

So where do you stand on other effigies? For example Boris holding May's severed head - surely they should also be charged?

I, for one, am deeply disturbed by them even having to answer questions about this.

Stand with the law.

The men have been arrested under section 4a of the Public Order Act 1986, which covers intentional "harassment, alarm or distress" caused via the use of "threatening, abusive or insulting" words or signs.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   
If it were ‘brown people’ laughing about the deaths of ‘white people’ there would be ZERO police reaction.

That’s a fact and everyone knows that’s a fact

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   
But it's OK for Youtube to make advertising money from said video?

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Err, the government didn't arrest them, the police did.

These half-wits posted the video on social media....they should be jailed for being so moronic.

What they did was insensitive and I understand why those close to the fire may be upset about it.
But I don't see how it could be considered illegal, classed as a hate crime or how it could be determined a racially or religiously aggravated offence.

Generation Snowflake again.

If something like that happened round here they'd probably get a good kicking and be warned about their future conduct....progress sure isn't always for the best.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

Err, the government didn't arrest them, the police did.

These half-wits posted the video on social media....they should be jailed for being so moronic.

What they did was insensitive and I understand why those close to the fire may be upset about it.
But I don't see how it could be considered illegal, classed as a hate crime or how it could be determined a racially or religiously aggravated offence.

Generation Snowflake again.

If something like that happened round here they'd probably get a good kicking and be warned about their future conduct....progress sure isn't always for the best.

One half wit posted it.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   
i can only wonder how our merkin friends on ATS will react to such hilarity as " renactments " using models of :

the sinking of the USS arizona

9/11

oklahoma city federal building

would they be " just a joke " ????

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

It was on private property at a private party. It is sick and twisted but it most definitely is not a public order offence.

To Gortex:
It makes no difference if it is sick or not, no law has been broken. It is simply another case of trial by media via social media. For it to even be discussed in parliament is abhorent.

Should we arrest those that make Harald Shipman jokes? How about Jimmy Saville?

I was sent my first 9/11 joke before the 2nd tower had even collapsed - it was sick but very funny - and not in the slightest bit illegal.

In Rememberence week, it is important to remember that one of the things our forebears were fighting for was freedom - of expression, of speech, etc etc.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   
People always love to scream how this is further proof that the UK does not allow freedom of speech and get all upset about how causing offence can lead to criminal prosecution in the UK.

A few points

Absolute freedom of speech does not exit, you cannot blindly say whatever you want with absolute impunity, for example, you can't get on a plane from New York to DC and mid-flight start shouting that you've got a bomb in such a way as to deliberately cause alarm without facing some kind of prosecution then use free speech as a defence. There are limits to freedom of speech in all civilised states the issue really comes down to where the line is drawn. Just because the line is drawn differently in the UK for other places does not mean its wrong, just that its a different balance between freedom of speech and causing alarm and distress with that speech.

Which is kind of where the UK law tends to end up. Its possible to make a joke, the problem comes when it is something which is clearly intended to cause alarm or harassment and is interpreted in such a ways as to cause such distress among individuals. These laws actually kind of work, sure we all know about some dude who was found guilty of telling his dog to gas the jews, or this latest one and yeah there are other examples but they are few and far between. I think if the UK is famous for anything its our comedy and sense of humour, that is not lost (just go to any Frankie Boyle gig).

For me personally I don't want to live in a society where its ok to make sick jokes about the deaths of 72 people. So while I am sure others might disagree with me, I am ok with the police having a chat with the idiots who made this video.

Which brings me onto another point...

If they done this and it was done in private, then its not an issue, the issue is when its released into the public domain, when its a video that gets posted or a tweet, Facebook status, whatever thats when you are really starting to open up for getting some problems. The law in the UK doesn't prevent someone making a joke like this privately in their own home, what it does do, and quite rightly I think, is prevent people doing this publicly in such a way that causes alarm/harassment and is generally perceived as being grossly offensive.

Issues like this are always controversial, but I tend to find its actually people from out of the UK who seem to have a problem with it (sure there are lots of folks in the UK who also take issue with it). I think its something of a cultural clash, we don't all have the same laws, I feel just a free to say and do as I wish as just about anyone else.

Lastly all this stuff about it being the tyrannical UK governments faults, no sorry but its not, the police and CPS are independent of government in this country and honestly if anyone is to blame its the morons who figured this would be funny.

Moral of the story.

Don't be a d!ck making fun of 72 deaths on social media.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join