It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Judge allows North Dakota Republicans to block Native Americans from voting

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown
a reply to: BlackJackal

Dud you need a drivers, tribal ID or state issued ID to vote. Do you think they’re going to take a Sam’s card ?

What don’t you understand about this ?

This is from the department of motor vehicles.

North Dakota bears the unique distinction that it does not require voters to register prior to Election Day. You may simply bring acceptable proof of ID and residency to the polls in order to vote (see below).

Each precinct is responsible for governing its own election process, and the Secretary of State has a "central voter file" in which all county auditors share their precinct's voter list.
When you arrive at the polls on Election Day, you'll need to show proof of birth date and residency. This can include:
A North Dakota driver's license or ID card.
An ID issued by a tribal government.
A form of identification issued by the Secretary of State.
A combination of the options above.

www.dmv.org...

But you said this law didn't go into effect until 2020....... You keep posting nonsense trying to ignore the fact that you didn't read jack diddly and made an assumption. I will post your quote again. Now why did you say this law wouldn't affect anyone?

Nice try but it doesn’t go into effect till 2020. It won’t affect this election whatsoever .

There's no if's, and's, or buts, many North Dakota residents will have to update their license to a Real ID by 2020

Sigh......

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlackJackal

originally posted by: rollanotherone

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: rollanotherone

What are you talking about? You do realize not all of North Dakota lives on reservations, right? That's where the issue lies. Most people living on the reservations only have PO Box numbers for their address. So if PO Boxes no longer count as viable addresses then North Dakota is disenfranchising the Native American population from voting.

Even then, this is a law that is just going in to effect for this election. So these people would have been able to vote in previous elections.

Are you being intentionally obtuse?

Please go to the ND government website I linked to and point out where they cant vote. The law does nothing to block them at all. This is typical Democrat BS RRRRHHHHEEEEEEEE!

I believe many here are being intentionally obtuse or maybe just plain lazy and ignorant and dont research before they knee jerk.

Alright Casa Hoe, calm down.

Apparently, you didn't read all of my comment did you? Even if they have options the law is intended to make them not want to jump through the hoops in order to be able to vote. That's the point.

So where is that voter fraud evidence, huh? You know the reason why they made this law in the first place? It must be real bad for them to do something that could possible disenfranchise so many.

Awe...cute...name calling because you are wrong and cant admit you're just a partisan sky screamer.

Poor folks have to bring a bill or bank statement with them now....geez....the horror and inconvenience....I cant imagine having to do that....it is hard enough for me to carry my drivers license to show when I vote....having to have a separate piece of paper must be grounds for PTSD. /sarc

If you only knew who I really was.

The mating call of pure hubris. Lay your cards on the table or fold and walk away.

You misunderstand. I am not trying to say I am famous. It's more about what I do for a living. I'm nothing special but I am paid to understand these topics.

You get paid?

Lol, I don't think you really do understand these topics but please go on amusing us.
🤣😂

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Native Americans are not going to vote Republican after the stunts they pulled on them. That is the sole reason for this voter suppression... you would not suppress someone who might vote for you. You suppress those who definitely won't vote for you.

The Democrats stood with the Native Americans during the protests against the oil pipelines and then Trump came in and just pooped all over them and allowed the oil interests in.

And then there was a big oil spill on the very same land they were protesting on and trying to protect.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
I'd bet every household has cable tv.
Those installers must be magicians to find houses with no address.

If this were an actual problem it's been around for years.
Are you saying tribal governments are too stupid to work out a few street names and to put up signs?
Sounds more like a lot of wind to me over 2 or 3 voters that actually live in teepees which they move periodically.

Up to 5000 people may be affected.

The law has drawn particular attention because of North Dakota Sen. Heidi Heitkamp, a Democrat who won her 2012 election by fewer than 3,000 votes — a victory widely attributed to her support among Native Americans. But the new voter ID law is expected to affect voting access for as many as 5,000 Native Americans in the state, and Heitkamp is facing a fierce challenge from Republican Kevin Cramer, who is leading in many polls by an average of 11.4 points, according to Real Clear Politics.

LINK

Again...nobody is affected. This is simple partisan BS news.

They had to bring whatever doc before that had their POBox on it to vote. Now they just have to bring a different document to vote. RRRRRHHHEEEEEEEE!!!!!! Voter Suppression!!!!!

Peddle the crap reporting from your source elsewhere....especially when it is completely wrong.

If I don't agree ===== Wrong
If I do agree ======Right

Attempting to make voting more difficult when the reasoning behind it is a blatant lie (Voter Fraud is a problem), is objectively wrong. The end goal is to suppress at least some of the vote.

How can you agree with a law that is supposed to fix something that doesn't exist? Unless you can provide some of that evidence of voter fraud that is rampant out there this law was written and passed on false pretenses.

Just because it's your party passing the law, doesn't make it right.

Your quote from the OP:

This law makes it impossible for most Native Americans to vote at all since they can't just obtain a street address. 

Actually a lie.

So you change your stance (move goalposts) to :

Attempting to make voting more difficult when the reasoning behind it is a blatant lie (Voter Fraud is a problem), is objectively wrong. The end goal is to suppress at least some of the vote. 

Which is also a invalid argument because the law doesnt make it any more difficult for them to vote. They simply cant use a particular document they were able to before.

There is no suppression....they can ALL still vote. They fan even do it via mail in ballot.

Again....your source is partisan crap reporting and apparently with enough spin to make a super connected political member such as yourself actually believe it without even checking the actual law to maybe not look like a fool.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   

What are you talking about? You do realize not all of North Dakota lives on reservations, right? That's where the issue lies. Most people living on the reservations only have PO Box numbers for their address. So if PO Boxes no longer count as viable addresses then North Dakota is disenfranchising the Native American population from voting.

Even then, this is a law that is just going in to effect for this election. So these people would have been able to vote in previous elections.

Please go to the ND government website I linked to and point out where they cant vote. The law does nothing to block them at all. This is typical Democrat BS RRRRHHHHEEEEEEEE!

I believe many here are being intentionally obtuse or maybe just plain lazy and ignorant and dont research before they knee jerk.

Apparently, you didn't read all of my comment did you? Even if they have options the law is intended to make them not want to jump through the hoops in order to be able to vote. That's the point.

So where is that voter fraud evidence, huh? You know the reason why they made this law in the first place? It must be real bad for them to do something that could possible disenfranchise so many.

Awe...cute...name calling because you are wrong and cant admit you're just a partisan sky screamer.

Poor folks have to bring a bill or bank statement with them now....geez....the horror and inconvenience....I cant imagine having to do that....it is hard enough for me to carry my drivers license to show when I vote....having to have a separate piece of paper must be grounds for PTSD. /sarc

The mating call of pure hubris. Lay your cards on the table or fold and walk away.

You misunderstand. I am not trying to say I am famous. It's more about what I do for a living. I'm nothing special but I am paid to understand these topics.

You get paid to misconstrue and push partisan politics based on skewed understandings of real laws?

Sounds a awful lot like a shill to me.

If you get paid to "know" stuff about which you post, then hopefully those paying you are reading this and realize you suck at what you do.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
Funny really like the Dims say blacks can't get an ID. Nothing like the plantation racist Dim are at it again.

Pathetic, you didn't even read the OP.

How exactly are Native Americans supposed to get an ID with their home address on it, when they don't have a home address?

That's right "plantation dims" at it again.

For the rest of the world, obviously racist politicians are changing the rules specifically to disenfranchise certain voters.

You know how we can all tell you are brainwashed? You use terms like "Dims", you have been conditioned to use silly names to dehumanize your opposition. Keep it up, it'll help you ignore the pain you are causing.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Correction, you're paid to spread the misinformation about topics that clearly have two sides to their narrative.

Also, who ever is paying you needs to be fired. They clearly aren't paying the right person (you) to understand ANY topics you post. As evidenced in this thread.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mahogany
Native Americans are not going to vote Republican after the stunts they pulled on them. That is the sole reason for this voter suppression... you would not suppress someone who might vote for you. You suppress those who definitely won't vote for you.

The Democrats stood with the Native Americans during the protests against the oil pipelines and then Trump came in and just pooped all over them and allowed the oil interests in.

And then there was a big oil spill on the very same land they were protesting on and trying to protect.

And let's ignore the mess these "PROtesters" left behind during their occupation. Worse than a 3 day music festival.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Read the actual law....there is no suppression at all. The OP source is partisan BS and skewed to create outrage.

Every single native American that could vote before, can still vote now with the exact same ease they could before. No hoops at all.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: BlackJackal

Yeah I said the law doesn’t go into effect until 2020. Which means it does not affect this election in any way. That’s been my point .

You’re showing yourself as being a racist by thinking it will only affect Native Americans . There are other people in North Dakota without a permit address including Asians, Hispanics and African-Americans !

Shame on you .

You sound like a Trump supporter you evil racist .
edit on 6-11-2018 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: whargoul

Funny really like the Dims say blacks can't get an ID. Nothing like the plantation racist Dim are at it again.

How exactly are Native Americans supposed to get an ID with their home address on it, when they don't have a home address?

For the rest of the world, obviously racist politicians are changing the rules specifically to disenfranchise certain voters.

You know how we can all tell you are brainwashed? You use terms like "Dims", you have been conditioned to use silly names to dehumanize your opposition. Keep it up, it'll help you ignore the pain you are causing.

Pathetic, you took the OP and source at their word.

Go read the actual law on the books.

OP is a lie and source is skewed partisan BS.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   

And let's ignore the mess these "PROtesters" left behind during their occupation. Worse than a 3 day music festival.

Protests that lasted months and months. People lived their lives in those tents while they protested.

It seems the only thing you're ignoring is that Trump forgot about them the moment he took office and then sided with the big oil money.

Excellent deflection, man. I'm impressed. Ignore what is truly important to deflect and say something else is ignored, which is inconsequential compared to what the Red party did to them as a people.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: whargoul

Hmm. Ok. I'll bite. When I was homeless in Tahoe, I was still able to get a FREE PO Box. Using that PO Box, I was able to get an ID. DMV issued me an ID.

Tell me how I was being suppressed?

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Because that's way worse than an oil spill.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   

If you lived in North Dakota you would not be able to vote if all you had is an ID that has a PO Box on it. That's the whole issue with this law. You've been told this multiple times now.

Once again, are you being intentionally obtuse?
edit on 11/6/2018 by Xcalibur254 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Protests that lasted months and months. People lived their lives in those tents while they protested.

Meanwhile, everyone else was hard at work, paying Bill's, taxes, mortgages. You know, the real world stuff called adulting.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Because that's way worse than an oil spill.

It's wrong yes. I prefer having clean water, healthy forests, and livable land. But, it is what it is. Both sides are wrong. Hell, the paid PROtesters didn't even clean up their mess. Neither did the #resist groups. Hypocrisy at its finest.

And yes. I dont like oil spills. I think oil spills are terrible, but I sure do love my car, my house, electricity, hot food, ATS, and all the other conveniences that petroleum brings us. Oh, look at that. You're on the internet too. You must also be a fan of oil.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   

If you lived in North Dakota you would not be able to vote if all you had is an ID that has a PO Box on it. That's the whole issue with this law. You've been told this multiple times now.

Once again, are you being intentionally obtuse?

And how many times have you been told you're wrong? Too many to count. Once again, are you being intentionally ignorant?

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Read the actual law....there is no suppression at all. The OP source is partisan BS and skewed to create outrage.

Every single native American that could vote before, can still vote now with the exact same ease they could before. No hoops at all.

Thanks Vasa, will you please link the section in the actual law for us, I really don't have the time to read the whole law.

I did go back and re-read the article and I still get the same information from it.

Following Democratic Sen. Heidi Heitkamp’s narrow victory in 2012, North Dakota’s Republican lawmakers passed a new law requiring voters to present an ID that lists their current residential street address. The measure plainly targeted Native Americans, many of whom live on rural reservations with no street names or residential addresses. Previously, residents could vote with a valid mailing address, allowing rural tribal voters to list their P.O. Box. Now they must provide an ID with their exact residency—something that many Native Americans don’t have and can’t get.

What does the actual law say that is different from this?

It sounds like a P.O. Box won't work and an actual residential address is needed. Are you saying the law states otherwise and specifically says PO Boxes are good to go?

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Thanks Vasa, will you please link the section in the actual law for us, I really don't have the time to read the whole law.

I did go back and re-read the article and I still get the same information from it.

Following Democratic Sen. Heidi Heitkamp’s narrow victory in 2012, North Dakota’s Republican lawmakers passed a new law requiring voters to present an ID that lists their current residential street address. The measure plainly targeted Native Americans, many of whom live on rural reservations with no street names or residential addresses. Previously, residents could vote with a valid mailing address, allowing rural tribal voters to list their P.O. Box. Now they must provide an ID with their exact residency—something that many Native Americans don’t have and can’t get.

What does the actual law say that is different from this?

It sounds like a P.O. Box won't work and an actual residential address is needed. Are you saying the law states otherwise and specifically says PO Boxes are good to go?

Happy to:

Requirements for Identification

(NDCC § 16.1-01-04.1)

➣ Identification must include the voter’s:

Name

Current North Dakota Residential Address

Date of Birth

Acceptable Forms of Identification:

➣ Voting at the Polling Place – A Valid North Dakota:

Driver’s license

Nondriver’s identification card

Tribal government issued identification (including those issued by BIA for a tribe located in North Dakota, any other tribal agency or entity, or any other document that sets forth the tribal member’s name, date of birth, and current North Dakota residential address)

Long term care identification certificate (provided by North Dakota facility)

➣ Supplemental Documentation

If an individual’s valid form of identification does not include the North Dakota residential address or date of birth, or the North Dakota residential address is not current, the individual may supplement the identification with a current utility bill; a current bank statement; a check or a document issued by a federal, state, local, or tribal government (including those issued by BIA for a tribe located in North Dakota, any other tribal agency or entity, or any other document that sets forth the tribal member’s name, date of birth, and current North Dakota residential address); or a paycheck.

➣ Set Aside Ballot Option

If an individual is not able to show a valid form of identification but asserts qualifications as an elector, the individual may mark a ballot that will be securely set aside. When the individual provides valid identification to the proper election official prior to the meeting of the canvassing board, the set aside ballot will be presented to the canvassing board for proper inclusion in the tally.

➣ Voting Absentee or by Mail – A Valid:

Form of identification listed above

➣ Voting Absentee or by Mail – Special Circumstances – A Valid:

Passport or Military ID – Only for North Dakota residents living outside the United States who do not possess one of the other forms of identification.

Attester – An applicant living with a disability that prevents the individual from traveling away from the individual’s home to obtain an acceptable form of identification may use an attester. The attester must provide his or her name, North Dakota driver’s license, nondriver’s, or tribal identification number, and sign the absentee/mail ballot application form to attest to the applicant’s North Dakota residency and voting eligibility.

NDCC § 16.1-07-06 states:

A copy of the supplemental documentation, if necessary, can be used when applying for an absentee/mail ballot.

Incomplete applications will be returned to the applicant for completion and resubmission.

vip.sos.nd.gov...

Bold is the part the OP source conveniently decides to leave out.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join