It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Judge allows North Dakota Republicans to block Native Americans from voting

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlackJackal

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

After Heidi Heitkamp narrow win in 2012 mainly due to Native American voters, Republicans in North Dakota's legislature decided to disenfranchise those Native Americans. They passed a law which requires all voters to present an ID that lists their current residential address. This law obviously targets Native Americans, many of whom live on reservations without street addresses. Before this law, voters could vote with a PO Box which is how most Native Americans receive their mail.

This law makes it impossible for most Native Americans to vote at all since they can't just obtain a street address.

The judge that upheald the law even noted that even though the law will certainly prevent Native Americans from voting he cited the Purcell principle which warns lower courts not to alter voting laws close to an election.

Despite these roadblocks, Hovland refused to block the law’s application to these unlucky voters and their tribe, Spirit Lake. Hovland conceded that their claims gave him “great cause for concern.” But he cited the Supreme Court’s Purcell principle, which warns lower courts not to alter voting laws shortly before an election due to the risk of voter confusion. In a jab at the 8th Circuit, Hovland noted that the problems highlighted in this lawsuit “were clearly predictable and certain to occur.” Yet because early voting has already begun—and the election is five days away—Hovland concluded that a new injunction “will create as much confusion as it will alleviate.”

This is clear voter suppression on the part of North Dakota Republicans and should be denounced by Republicans and Democrats alike. The right to vote is the most basic right of living within a democracy and to take it away to hold onto power is despicable.

LINK

Well...as pointed out in a link from your source they can still vote...it isnt hard.

The law does allow voters to provide “supplemental documentation” to prove their identity, such as a utility bill or bank statement. 

So...go scream at someone else you idiot. Your claim is BS as all they have to do is supply some other form of documentation according to the actual law.

Source from OP source

Whats up Casa Fro!

The point is that this is an intentional attempt at voter suppresion. The hope from republicans is to make it not worth the hassle of jumping through these extra hoops in order to vote at all. They have manufactured this idea that people are voting illegally when every single time the subject is studied they find little evidence of voter fraud.

In 2012 a study was conducted and between the years of 2000 and 2012, they were able to find only 10 credible cases of voter fraud. 10! How in the hell can that be used as the basis for possible disenfranchising thousands of people? The answer is it can't.

History will not be kind to the Republicans of this age. You are on the wrong side.

LINK

Actually it's not. The point is your linked article is intentionally skewing it to sound that way.

Like I said....go to the ND website I linked and read the actual law yourself. They can all still vote. Your source is partisan crap as is this thread.

Truth sucks when you believe the falsehoods without question.

(post by BlackJackal removed for a manners violation)

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
a reply to: rollanotherone

Then feel free to pull some of his posts off the list and clarify and prove your position here, oh wise sage.

Ok, you win. I am wrong. Enlightened one is a wise and noble person. I apologize. I promise to never accuse them again. (Happy now?) Here is your official white knight award.

But, when I have the time, I'll pull up some kavanaugh threads 3N has posted in.

link   
a reply to: BlackJackal

Voting has begun?

No #?

And as I’ve proven to you using your own sources and arguments . Your position on voter suppression is not germane to this election .

link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown

The Purcell principal prevent changes in voter laws shortly before the election . It is shortly before the election don’t you think ?

Your source

but he cited the Supreme Court’s Purcell principle, which warns lower courts not to alter voting laws shortly before an election due to the risk of voter confusion. In a jab at the 8th Circuit, Hovland noted that the problems highlighted in this lawsuit “were clearly predictable and certain to occur.” Yet because early voting has already begun—and the election is five days away—Hovland concluded that a new injunction “will create as much confusion as it will alleviate.”

Point number one .... You are confused .

Point number two ..... Only people that don’t know what’s going on are confused .

If they voted early there ballots will be counted. If they didn’t vote early there allowed to vote on election day .

Hey moron, you are the one confusing the Real ID law with the voter suppression law. It says right there in the quote in your response that voting has already begun. I suppose you think voting has already begun for 2020?

It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. Let's see if that can be you.

Cant wait to see your post about being wrong.
edit on 11/6/18 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

What are you talking about? You do realize not all of North Dakota lives on reservations, right? That's where the issue lies. Most people living on the reservations only have PO Box numbers for their address. So if PO Boxes no longer count as viable addresses then North Dakota is disenfranchising the Native American population from voting.

Even then, this is a law that is just going in to effect for this election. So these people would have been able to vote in previous elections.

Are you being intentionally obtuse?

Please go to the ND government website I linked to and point out where they cant vote. The law does nothing to block them at all. This is typical Democrat BS RRRRHHHHEEEEEEEE!

I believe many here are being intentionally obtuse or maybe just plain lazy and ignorant and dont research before they knee jerk.

Alright Casa Hoe, calm down.

Apparently, you didn't read all of my comment did you? Even if they have options the law is intended to make them not want to jump through the hoops in order to be able to vote. That's the point.

So where is that voter fraud evidence, huh? You know the reason why they made this law in the first place? It must be real bad for them to do something that could possible disenfranchise so many.

And now the insults. Always a winning tactic.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:03 PM
link   

amusing deflection, first I never said any of that, but its funny how instead of addressing what I said, you automatically defend it by saying "but native people are bad too" and they just "lost the conquest"

so you defend the idea of political/religious refugees coming to america and winning the conquest war? you as a patriot would accept the loss

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   

What are you talking about? You do realize not all of North Dakota lives on reservations, right? That's where the issue lies. Most people living on the reservations only have PO Box numbers for their address. So if PO Boxes no longer count as viable addresses then North Dakota is disenfranchising the Native American population from voting.

Even then, this is a law that is just going in to effect for this election. So these people would have been able to vote in previous elections.

Please go to the ND government website I linked to and point out where they cant vote. The law does nothing to block them at all. This is typical Democrat BS RRRRHHHHEEEEEEEE!

I believe many here are being intentionally obtuse or maybe just plain lazy and ignorant and dont research before they knee jerk.

Apparently, you didn't read all of my comment did you? Even if they have options the law is intended to make them not want to jump through the hoops in order to be able to vote. That's the point.

So where is that voter fraud evidence, huh? You know the reason why they made this law in the first place? It must be real bad for them to do something that could possible disenfranchise so many.

Awe...cute...name calling because you are wrong and cant admit you're just a partisan sky screamer.

Poor folks have to bring a bill or bank statement with them now....geez....the horror and inconvenience....I cant imagine having to do that....it is hard enough for me to carry my drivers license to show when I vote....having to have a separate piece of paper must be grounds for PTSD. /sarc

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Another group being disenfranchised by this law that isn't really being discussed is the homeless. Last time I checked being destitute did not strip a person of their right to vote. But how is a person living on the street supposed to produce an ID with a street address/utility bill/bank statement?

Let's not forget there's a disproportionate number of vets among the homeless in this country. Should we take away their right to vote because there might be a single, legitimate, case of voter fraud in North Dakota this election cycle?

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: XAnarchistX

amusing deflection, first I never said any of that, but its funny how instead of addressing what I said, you automatically defend it by saying "but native people are bad too" and they just "lost the conquest"

so you defend the idea of political/religious refugees coming to america and winning the conquest war? you as a patriot would accept the loss

Not defending it. Just pointing out the hypocrisy of your post.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown
Nice try but it doesn’t go into effect till 2020. Won’t affect the selection of whatsoever .

www.myndnow.com...

Is this or is this not your post fallingdown? You think the REAL ID law and the voter suppression law are one in the same.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Even if they have options the law is intended to make them not want to jump through the hoops in order to be able to vote.

Why do you feel that bringing a bill, or any of the other options available, is such an insurmountable hoop to jump through?

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Awe...cute...name calling because you are wrong and cant admit you're just a partisan sky screamer.

Poor folks have to bring a bill or bank statement with them now....geez....the horror and inconvenience....I cant imagine having to do that....it is hard enough for me to carry my drivers license to show when I vote....having to have a separate piece of paper must be grounds for PTSD. /sarc

Yup. I felt so oppressed when I had to bring my 2 year old daughter with me then having to wait in line for an hour while having to entertain her AND provide my driver's license to cast my ballot. I even let a vet go ahead of me because I felt he was also be oppressed.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   

You know, every time one of you call me a leftist, a Democrat, a Partisan hack, I get a real good chuckle. If you only knew who I really was. Those would be good times.

There were some here long ago who did, but I think they are all gone now.

Let's just put it this way, I am in a position to know way more about politics than most anyone else on this site.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: Lumenari

There is a Tribe here that can vote in both North and South Dakota at the same time, because of the location of their reservation.

Essentially stacking Dem votes.

This was just trying to address that.

But nice troll.

Keep buying the rhetoric sheep.

I am currently sitting in North Dakota listening to a local radio station talk about the problem.

I'm sure you know much more about it though.

As far as your reply, NPC says what?

🍻

So what is that local radio station? Who is on the station right now.

I've no idea... I normally just listen to music in the truck but today is election day so I found AM 1090 here. It's two guys talking about the election. They are on from 9-11am.

That make you happy SG?

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   

what hypocrisy?

So, it is hypocritical to point out the genocidal history, the forced assimilation and americanisation, and the continual attacks on us...

let me guess, you have never pointed out the "Violent left", you have never pointed out "Racism against whites" you have never pointed out anything to do with "Antifa".. because that would make you hypocritical right?

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   

You know, every time one of you call me a leftist, a Democrat, a Partisan hack, I get a real good chuckle. If you only knew who I really was. Those would be good times.

There were some here long ago who did, but I think they are all gone now.

Let's just put it this way, I am in a position to know way more about politics than most anyone else on this site.

Sure bro.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   
A FRIENDLY REMINDER!

This thread may be in the Mud Pit, but that does not exempt any of you from being needlessly rude. The name calling, changing of names will stop.

Do not reply to this post.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Even if they have options the law is intended to make them not want to jump through the hoops in order to be able to vote.

Why do you feel that bringing a bill, or any of the other options available, is such an insurmountable hoop to jump through?

It's not insurmountable. However, it is a deterrent and the basis is a nonexistent problem. Even if 90% of the people who are affected by this law still vote, the republicans have still suppressed 10% of the vote. That is the goal.

If is like if one day you go to your local Wal-Mart but before you can enter the store you have to show your library card. Sure that isn't insurmountable even if you don't have one. You can go to the library and get one. Everyone can do that. But, some people will think that is too much of a hassle and start shopping elsewhere.

That is the idea behind these laws. To make voting a hassle to certain groups of people so if they are not determined to vote, they won't. It's a horrible policy.

All because of voter fraud, you know those 10 cases I refereed earlier. 10 out of 630 million.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   

From this thread it would appear you are in no such position at all....because you are using a partisan argument is why you are judged as such.

Maybe next time read the law, not the partisan article about the law that they use only a portion of to skew the actual law...it is the epitome of ignorance.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join