It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Judge allows North Dakota Republicans to block Native Americans from voting

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Butterfinger
a reply to: BlackJackal

Let the hate flow through you

I hate idiots and those unwilling to actually think for themselves. It's obvious as the day is long that this is an attempt to suppress voters under the guise of stopping voter fraud. If voter fraud was such an issue in North Dakota surely you can provide me with evidence that the practice is rampant across that state, right?

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Is anyone surprised? indigenous people get raped, murdered, we have been genocided by British Religious Refugees, we have been trashed and set aside forgotten

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlackJackal

I hate idiots and those unwilling to actually think for themselves. It's obvious as the day is long that this is an attempt to suppress voters under the guise of stopping voter fraud. If voter fraud was such an issue in North Dakota surely you can provide me with evidence that the practice is rampant across that state, right?

I was just commenting on you being so upset. Is this the hill you intend to die on?

I appreciate your bleeding heart for us powerless natives, your white support is the only hope we have.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   

To sum up this entire discussion. Which is a more likely scenario?

After Heitkampts win in 2012 in which she won with support of Native Americans:

The Republicans, decide that now is the time to craft a law aimed at stopping voter fraud (even though there is no recorded incidents of this fraud) because they are good people.

OR

The Republicans surprised by Heitkampts surprise win looked for ways to suppress the people who put her in office in the first place.

So is it fixing a manufactured incident of fraud, or holding onto power.

Just wait. Dems will redistrict the boundaries and set up 2020 for a "blue wave". Repubs have been doing it for years. Why not the dems?

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown

Nope

Did you read the link? Because apparently you didn’t bother to read yours all the way .

Dude, if you seriously think this law doesn't take effect until 2020 then why did the judge refuse to reverse the decision citing the Purcell principle (which warns lower courts not to alter voting laws shortly before an election)? This is for this election not one two years in the future. It is a current issue.

God, it's so tiring dealing with idiots.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Or maybe you can provide evidence this is actually voter suppression.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown

Nope

Did you read the link? Because apparently you didn’t bother to read yours all the way .

God, it's so tiring dealing with idiots.

The higher. The fewer.

Must be a nice view on your mountain top.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: rollanotherone

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: rollanotherone

So you don't have any evidence that I repeat the talking points of others. I thought so, you're blowing hot air.

I never said that. I said I'm not going to go through your idiotic posts to prove what I already know. You're as guilty as everyone else you accuse. You're not as "enlightened" as you like to portray.
Plus, I dont need to prove anything to you. I know from reading your posts daily. You're as guilty as the rest.

Good day oh holy one.

Feeble attempts at backtracking is a cop-out. You said it, now quote him and prove it.

Sorry but no. I dont owe you jack squat. I know what I know. Tell you what, you can do it though. Maybe learn something about your internet buddy.

No, the onus is on you to back up your claim.

The original exchange was this:

a reply to: mikell

The racial undertones around here lately are disgusting. Get better talking points other than thinly veiled racist ones. It's like you guys are a hivemind, picking up and using all these buzzwords and phrases all at the same time. I think I'm going to start calling you guys Borg because it's like you all share the same mind.

Pot. Meet kettle.

Name 3 members here who say what I say. I don't trust Democrats or Republicans. Stop projecting. Unless of course you can provide examples of me repeating the talking points of others, otherwise you're blowing hot air.

Now go find 3N's thinly veiled racist talking points and buzzword overuse. Here's a direct link to his posts. Find one instance within the last week of him warranting "pot meet kettle".

You're going to come back and act like an internet tough guy and say I can go do it myself, and you can do that all you want, but you know you nor I are going to find a damn thing to back your claim. And that's why you're going to whine and pout and continue to tell everyone to look themselves -- because you know those posts aren't there to begin with.
edit on 11/6/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/6/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: XAnarchistX
Is anyone surprised? indigenous people get raped, murdered, we have been genocided by British Religious Refugees, we have been trashed and set aside forgotten

And indigenous people have never committed rape, murder? Indigenous people are saints? Helpless little people who lost the conquest war and only want what they lost, back?

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   

After Heidi Heitkamp narrow win in 2012 mainly due to Native American voters, Republicans in North Dakota's legislature decided to disenfranchise those Native Americans. They passed a law which requires all voters to present an ID that lists their current residential address. This law obviously targets Native Americans, many of whom live on reservations without street addresses. Before this law, voters could vote with a PO Box which is how most Native Americans receive their mail.

This law makes it impossible for most Native Americans to vote at all since they can't just obtain a street address.

The judge that upheald the law even noted that even though the law will certainly prevent Native Americans from voting he cited the Purcell principle which warns lower courts not to alter voting laws close to an election.

Despite these roadblocks, Hovland refused to block the law’s application to these unlucky voters and their tribe, Spirit Lake. Hovland conceded that their claims gave him “great cause for concern.” But he cited the Supreme Court’s Purcell principle, which warns lower courts not to alter voting laws shortly before an election due to the risk of voter confusion. In a jab at the 8th Circuit, Hovland noted that the problems highlighted in this lawsuit “were clearly predictable and certain to occur.” Yet because early voting has already begun—and the election is five days away—Hovland concluded that a new injunction “will create as much confusion as it will alleviate.”

This is clear voter suppression on the part of North Dakota Republicans and should be denounced by Republicans and Democrats alike. The right to vote is the most basic right of living within a democracy and to take it away to hold onto power is despicable.

LINK

Well...as pointed out in a link from your source they can still vote...it isnt hard.

The law does allow voters to provide “supplemental documentation” to prove their identity, such as a utility bill or bank statement. 

So...go scream at someone else you idiot. Your claim is BS as all they have to do is supply some other form of documentation according to the actual law.

Source from OP source

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   

So you don't have any evidence that I repeat the talking points of others. I thought so, you're blowing hot air.

I never said that. I said I'm not going to go through your idiotic posts to prove what I already know. You're as guilty as everyone else you accuse. You're not as "enlightened" as you like to portray.
Plus, I dont need to prove anything to you. I know from reading your posts daily. You're as guilty as the rest.

Good day oh holy one.

Feeble attempts at backtracking is a cop-out. You said it, now quote him and prove it.

Sorry but no. I dont owe you jack squat. I know what I know. Tell you what, you can do it though. Maybe learn something about your internet buddy.

No, the onus is on you to back up your claim.

The original exchange was this:

a reply to: mikell

The racial undertones around here lately are disgusting. Get better talking points other than thinly veiled racist ones. It's like you guys are a hivemind, picking up and using all these buzzwords and phrases all at the same time. I think I'm going to start calling you guys Borg because it's like you all share the same mind.

Pot. Meet kettle.

Name 3 members here who say what I say. I don't trust Democrats or Republicans. Stop projecting. Unless of course you can provide examples of me repeating the talking points of others, otherwise you're blowing hot air.

Now go find the 3N's thinly veiled racist talking points and buzzword overuse. Here's a direct link to his posts. Find one instance within the last week of him warranting "pot meet kettle".

You're going to come back and act like an internet tough guy and say I can go do it myself, and you can do that all you want, but you know you nor I are going to find a damn thing to back your claim. And that's why you're going to whine and pout and continue to tell everyone to look themselves -- because you know those posts aren't there to begin with.

You seem triggered. Do you need a safe space? Again. I dont need to prove what I already know.

Besides, you've got my "Pot, meet kettle" post completely wrong. Did I accuse The Holy One of being racist, or of being hive minded Borg? You wouldn't know because you never bothered to ask. Did you.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Federal Judge allows North Dakota Republicans to block Native Americans from voting

To me the question is, should residents of land NOT subordinate to state law and and state lawmaking be allowed to to vote for lawmakers representing those states at all?

(No. No they should not.)

link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

After Heidi Heitkamp narrow win in 2012 mainly due to Native American voters, Republicans in North Dakota's legislature decided to disenfranchise those Native Americans. They passed a law which requires all voters to present an ID that lists their current residential address. This law obviously targets Native Americans, many of whom live on reservations without street addresses. Before this law, voters could vote with a PO Box which is how most Native Americans receive their mail.

This law makes it impossible for most Native Americans to vote at all since they can't just obtain a street address.

The judge that upheald the law even noted that even though the law will certainly prevent Native Americans from voting he cited the Purcell principle which warns lower courts not to alter voting laws close to an election.

Despite these roadblocks, Hovland refused to block the law’s application to these unlucky voters and their tribe, Spirit Lake. Hovland conceded that their claims gave him “great cause for concern.” But he cited the Supreme Court’s Purcell principle, which warns lower courts not to alter voting laws shortly before an election due to the risk of voter confusion. In a jab at the 8th Circuit, Hovland noted that the problems highlighted in this lawsuit “were clearly predictable and certain to occur.” Yet because early voting has already begun—and the election is five days away—Hovland concluded that a new injunction “will create as much confusion as it will alleviate.”

This is clear voter suppression on the part of North Dakota Republicans and should be denounced by Republicans and Democrats alike. The right to vote is the most basic right of living within a democracy and to take it away to hold onto power is despicable.

LINK

Well...as pointed out in a link from your source they can still vote...it isnt hard.

The law does allow voters to provide “supplemental documentation” to prove their identity, such as a utility bill or bank statement. 

So...go scream at someone else you idiot. Your claim is BS as all they have to do is supply some other form of documentation according to the actual law.

Source from OP source

Now now. Dont be a nazi. Let the SG spew the hate. Better here than in the street where they might actually have to confront real people.

link   

What are you talking about? You do realize not all of North Dakota lives on reservations, right? That's where the issue lies. Most people living on the reservations only have PO Box numbers for their address. So if PO Boxes no longer count as viable addresses then North Dakota is disenfranchising the Native American population from voting.

Even then, this is a law that is just going in to effect for this election. So these people would have been able to vote in previous elections.

Are you being intentionally obtuse?

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   
This is the biggest BS OP I have seen from BJ. Even calling others idiots when BJ is the idiot who doesnt even do any research on anything posted.

Here....I'll make it easy for an idiot and put the quite admnd direct link to the law:

➣ Supplemental Documentation

If an individual’s valid form of identification does not include the North Dakota residential address or date of birth, or the North Dakota residential address is not current, the individual may supplement the identification with a current utility bill; a current bank statement; a check or a document issued by a federal, state, local, or tribal government (including those issued by BIA for a tribe located in North Dakota, any other tribal agency or entity, or any other document that sets forth the tribal member’s name, date of birth, and current North Dakota residential address); or a paycheck.

Source

Now please post your apology to those you continue to call idiots, or STFU and quit posting your uninformed and completely ignorant threads.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

LINK

Source from OP source

Whats up Casa Fro!

The point is that this is an intentional attempt at voter suppresion. The hope from republicans is to make it not worth the hassle of jumping through these extra hoops in order to vote at all. They have manufactured this idea that people are voting illegally when every single time the subject is studied they find little evidence of voter fraud.

In 2012 a study was conducted and between the years of 2000 and 2012, they were able to find only 10 credible cases of voter fraud. 10! How in the hell can that be used as the basis for possible disenfranchising thousands of people? The answer is it can't.

History will not be kind to the Republicans of this age. You are on the wrong side.

LINK

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Then feel free to pull some of his posts off the list and clarify and prove your position here, oh wise sage.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   

The Purcell principal prevents changes in voter laws shortly before the election . It is shortly before the election don’t you think ?

Your source

but he cited the Supreme Court’s Purcell principle, which warns lower courts not to alter voting laws shortly before an election due to the risk of voter confusion. In a jab at the 8th Circuit, Hovland noted that the problems highlighted in this lawsuit “were clearly predictable and certain to occur.” Yet because early voting has already begun—and the election is five days away—Hovland concluded that a new injunction “will create as much confusion as it will alleviate.”

Point number one .... You are confused .

Point number two ..... Only people that don’t know what’s going on are confused .

If they voted early their ballots will be counted. If they didn’t vote early they’re allowed to vote on election day .
edit on 6-11-2018 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

What are you talking about? You do realize not all of North Dakota lives on reservations, right? That's where the issue lies. Most people living on the reservations only have PO Box numbers for their address. So if PO Boxes no longer count as viable addresses then North Dakota is disenfranchising the Native American population from voting.

Even then, this is a law that is just going in to effect for this election. So these people would have been able to vote in previous elections.

Are you being intentionally obtuse?

Please go to the ND government website I linked to and point out where they cant vote. The law does nothing to block them at all. This is typical Democrat BS RRRRHHHHEEEEEEEE!

I believe many here are being intentionally obtuse or maybe just plain lazy and ignorant and dont research before they knee jerk.

(post by BlackJackal removed for a manners violation)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join