It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Judge allows North Dakota Republicans to block Native Americans from voting

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Just to pick an interesting bit from the story....

Hovland found that the new law would prevent about 5,000 Native American voters from casting a ballot. Although tribal governments have scrambled to hand out new IDs for free, voters like Terry Yellow Fat have no recourse. The state wrongly insists that Yellow Fat lives in a liquor store, and must use the store’s address to vote—but if he does so, he will break the law, because it is not actually his “fixed permanent dwelling.” It’s hard to see how a narrow order protecting people like Yellow Fat would’ve created any confusion.

So...the state insists that's his permanent address, he disagrees with the state...so he can't vote. If the state insists that's his permanent address then who is going to charge him for breaking this law if he uses that address?

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: rollanotherone

What's amazing to me is that we have the exact same requirements here in WI - if your ID does not have a current address or PO you bring a utility bill - what kind of hoop is it to jump through to bring a copy of a bill? Who doesn't have electricity in this day and age?
edit on 6-11-2018 by thegeneraldisarray because: no spell gud

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

I understand being concerned about voter fraud. The problem is it is a manufactured problem. Not a single study has ever found the existence of voter fraud in any capacity close to extent to influence any election ever.

Trump claimed without proof that "3 million illegal immigrants" voted in the last election without any proof. Republican's have long touted that there is wide spread voter fraud but have never given any proof. They are not stupid when they do this, they are attempting to put fear into their followers so they can get away with laws like this one.

People like you are scared of something that isn't happening and hasn't happened and therefore you are OK when someone who isn't you is targeted for voter suppression. The Republicans are quite aware that the demographics of this country are changing and that their base is eroding. In order to hold onto power they are passing these types of laws that obviously target specific members of the population.

The truth of the matter is that you are blind. This is an obvious attempt at voter suppression simply because the problem that is supposed to be addressed doesn't exist. The hope by the Republicans is that at least some percentage of Native American's that previously voted will not go through the trouble of complying with the new law so that they will be able to suppress a portion of the vote. Unless, you can show where people with PO boxes have been committing voter fraud this law is completely unnecessary at best and voter suppression at worst. I'm sorry that you can't connect the logic dots.

I could care less if you are not intelligent enough to see that point. However, mark my words in as little as 5 to 10 years this will be viewed as a very dark time in American History and you are on the wrong side.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlackJackal
a reply to: SlapMonkey

I understand being concerned about voter fraud. The problem is it is a manufactured problem. Not a single study has ever found the existence of voter fraud in any capacity close to extent to influence any election ever.

Sounds a lot like the liberals incessant whining about the boogeyman called "voter suppression." A fantasy which only seems to be found when an extremely liberal activist judge is involved and the party needs a bone thrown to them.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets
Nonsense. They can go pick up a ballot and mail it in or, maybe just DRIVE to the actual polling station and vote like most of the country.

Oh, and how can mail be delivered without an address? Maybe make some improvements on the reservation. Like a $25 street sign and a $25 mailbox like EVERYONE who lives on a street in the US.

Are you stupid? It's not a matter of driving to the voting place or mailing in a ballot. If they do not have a street address, they cannot vote at all.

How do they get mail? How do the police know where to go when they call? Does the Fire Department overlook them because they're Native Americans? This just sounds like more pandering by the democrats to another group of people they couldn't care less about.

"Hey guys look, the Republicans hate you because you don't have an address and you're Native American!"

Yeah, get outta here with that BS.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: mikell

The racial undertones around here lately are disgusting. Get better talking points other than thinly veiled racist ones. It's like you guys are a hivemind, picking up and using all these buzzwords and phrases all at the same time. I think I'm going to start calling you guys Borg because it's like you all share the same mind.

How about ^^^^that^^^^ for irony.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikell

originally posted by: mikell
Funny really like the Dims say blacks can't get an ID. Nothing like the plantation racist Dim are at it again.

Alright smart guy. How do you get an address if the house you live in doesn't have an address?

Call the frigging electric company they are the ones who assign addresses. Even if the lots empty they assign them.

I am very smart by the way!!

You do realize that Indian Reservations are not the property of the United States and therefore do not follow the laws of the United States, right? You are smart so I assume you just made a mistake with your previous comment.

Then they shouldn't even have a vote, nor care which way the votes turn out. You just blew your own thread up. DERP

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: CosmicAwakening
I think everyone should be able to vote, but the problem arises when you follow a different set of laws. When indians and amish have their own laws and lands, when is it acceptable to vote outside of it? Can I create a breakaway society, and then demand to vote outside of it? How does it work as far as US law and Indian/amish law?

The Indians live on reservations due to us taking away their land. I don't think it was by choice. Remember the Trail of Tears?

Who is "us"? I didn't take anything from the natives.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Remember the Trail of Tears?

You mean I-80 from Berkeley, CA to Market Street in San Fransisco?

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: mikell

The racial undertones around here lately are disgusting. Get better talking points other than thinly veiled racist ones. It's like you guys are a hivemind, picking up and using all these buzzwords and phrases all at the same time. I think I'm going to start calling you guys Borg because it's like you all share the same mind.

How about ^^^^that^^^^ for irony.

Careful. 3N has a white knight who will make you go through 3N's post history to prove your statement. You can't make this snip up.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
a reply to: BlackJackal

They don't have residential addresses so yes, this will prevent them from voting altogether.

YES THEY DO!!!!!! This has already been addressed about 5 times in 9 pages of this ridiculous thread........

I dunno if its reading comprehension on your part, or youre just really have an agenda to push here, but its pretty clear this is bullsnip.

He even admits he gets paid for "researching" and spreading this "info"

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 04:48 PM
link   
They should move to Texas, anyone can vote there.

New Video Just posted

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: BlackJackal

If reservations are sovereign nations separate from the U.S. is that a possible factor?

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Why should Native Americans be allowed to vote? We own America, having stole the land from them. They have no rights.

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   
K a few things to consider about native reservations. I live 2 miles from the biggest one in the country, married to a beautiful native woman, with 2 beautiful baby girls. Natives do not live in teepee's. Its offenisve, racist, and outdated to say otherwise. They live in houses and traliors like all folks do. They have regular jobs and try to make ends meat like all folks do. Some get govermnet hand outs just like some other american folks do. They bleed red, and are regular human beings with love, hate, sadness, pain, and stress bound to the human condition like all folks are. Now unfortunately reservations are not owned by the native tribes that occupy them. Some were created on or near the tribes orginal homeland while others created on opposite ends of the country displacing natives for land and resources. Think about it! Did you know when a homicide happens on a reservation the FBI is sent in to investigate. Do you wonder why? Because it is federal jurisdiction. More federal in regards to domain then any state is per say. Also each reservation is unique with different treatys and agreements with the fed gov. Initialy reservations were created to set aside land for a tribe giving a tribe sovereignty of its people, then not havin to be ruled by the state gov. the land was confined in. A sovereign state within a sovereign state. At least that is the postive take on it. Many agree it is more like concentration camps and it is said that US reservation policy is what inspired Hitler. They are US citizens. And if you are a human being in a country, guess what, you are subject to that countries laws. Like when foriegn nationals visit the US they cannot do whatever they want. Or likewise when Americanas travel abroad "midnight express." I know my post is not entirely relevant but lets clear some fear and ignorance for some understanding.

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   
And the electric company still gives out the addresses so if they live in a trailer they have an address.

Need to turn the power off at PO Box 33. Probably not

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join