It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Judge allows North Dakota Republicans to block Native Americans from voting

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Mahogany

says his tribe has been preparing for this shift ever since the law was first passed years ago

um, should have gotten to such an "important" matter sooner.

years brah...?

and as far as what the OP stated: There is no voter supression, since they have options to vote. If they had no options then what the OP said would be true.

It is not. Go figure.
edit on 11 6 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: BlackJackal

They don't have residential addresses so yes, this will prevent them from voting altogether.

YES THEY DO!!!!!! This has already been addressed about 5 times in 9 pages of this ridiculous thread........

I dunno if its reading comprehension on your part, or youre just really have an agenda to push here, but its pretty clear this is bullsnip.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: Propagandalf

Yea I pointed that out a page or two ago, nobody paid it much notice. Out of the entire group that MIGHT have been impacted, about half have already solved the problem thanks to folks willing to step up and fix the issue rather than flap their gums about it.

Not according to the people who actually live there:

On Tuesday, a group of Native Americans returned to court with a new lawsuit demonstrating that the residential address rule did not merely burden their right to vote; it denied them access to the ballot altogether. Their suit explained how tribal voters simply could not obtain a residential address: The state’s mapping systems conflict with each other, as do the state’s different residency databases, meaning many voters cannot secure an official address in time for the election.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

They don't have residential addresses so yes, this will prevent them from voting altogether.

YES THEY DO!!!!!! This has already been addressed about 5 times in 9 pages of this ridiculous thread........

I dunno if its reading comprehension on your part, or youre just really have an agenda to push here, but its pretty clear this is bullsnip.

I suppose you know better than the actual people living there that filed the suit, right? Also, what about homeless people? What about them?

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlackJackal

I suppose you know better than the actual people living there that filed the suit, right? Also, what about homeless people? What about them?

Ive lived on the rez.......the simple fact of the matter is EVERY ONE has an address, the problem is a lot of them just didnt KNOW it.......you cant get utilities, electric, water, sewer, ANY of it without an address........

This is common sense......I know I know, its hard to grasp........

What about homeless people? Know a lot of them that are voting? Not to mention they can list the local shelter as their address.......again, this is NOT hard......
edit on 11/6/2018 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mahogany

originally posted by: Vector99
Read my post on the 3rd page, they can very easily acquire a street address for free along with supporting documentation to allow them to vote.

Thanks, I read your link. From it:

Those IDs used to be accepted at polling places — including in this year's primary election — but will not be valid for the general election. And that decision became final less than a month before Election Day, after years of confusing court battles and alterations to the requirements.

Tens of thousands of North Dakotans, including Native and non-Native residents, do not have residential addresses on their IDs and will now find it harder to vote.

They will have the option of proving their residency with "supplemental documentation," like utility bills, but according to court records, about 18,000 North Dakotans don't have those documents, either.

So some, who have scrambled for new IDs only weeks before the election MAY get to vote while THOUSANDS of others won't.

I have a feeling that when we read articles, we take totally different things from them.

The article I posted is dated October 3rd, over a month ago. A spokesman also stated they were aware of the change. If they waited till the last minute that is their own fault.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   
BlackJackal, thank you for the thread. I got some new information from it.

All the scrubs making excuses and justifications for something that they would cry to no end about if it were reversed... have fun marinating in your hypocrisy.

This will not stand, and such extremism and hatred of others, political games and crime cannot last for long. I cherish the day most of you will have to retreat back into the woodwork.

Enjoy the few years you can show everyone who you really are... there is no going back from here. Even when things go back to civil and normal, we will all know who you really are. And you're all in the same place... same few online forums.

Buon giorno.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   
hahaha while reading all the comments i'm sure USA do'nt need russian trolls to influence the election !
just in holland on the news that in 12 states problems with the voting machines...
its all clear …… now waiting for who will be blamed for manipulating the elections investigation will ofcourse take another 2,5 years soooooo sick

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman

says his tribe has been preparing for this shift ever since the law was first passed years ago

um, should have gotten to such an "important" matter sooner.

years brah...?

and as far as what the OP stated: There is no voter supression, since they have options to vote. If they had no options then what the OP said would be true.

It is not. Go figure.

So if a single person is prevented from voting due to this law you would consider it suppression right? Explain to me how a homeless person is supposed to vote?

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

the simple fact of the matter is EVERY ONE has an address, the problem is a lot of them just didnt KNOW it

Exactly. Never lived on one, but my ex was from one and still has family there (in ND, no less). They have addresses. As one of the other articles posted in this thread points out (yet is conveniently ignored by a certain few members) they have addresses, they just don't know them. And they KNOW they have an address, but that they don't know what it is.

If we're going to keep talking about "according to people that actually live there" I don't know why some people want to ignore people who actually live there but aren't parroting the talking points.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Ive lived on the rez.......the simple fact of the matter is EVERY ONE has an address, the problem is a lot of them just didnt KNOW it.......you cant get utilities, electric, water, sewer, ANY of it without an address........

What about homeless people? Know a lot of them that are voting? Not to mention they can list the local shelter as their address.......again, this is NOT hard......

Arrogance is thy name. You have lived on a reservation therefore you know what all reservations are like.

I'm so sorry I ever doubted you. You obviously have all the answers.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Register to vote at a valid address. One person? are you some sort of purist?

What you stated is not accurate. They can vote, they could have avoided ANY issues for even one person years ago, and they dont actually have to miss voting this time around. Not one person.

Everyone has options.

Also, if ManbehindtheMask lived on the reservation, kind of shut up and listen to him.

edit on 11 6 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

One person? are you some sort of purist?

No, just the owner of a very lightweight set of goalposts that can be moved quickly and easily on a whim.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Arrogance is thy name. You have lived on a reservation therefore you know what all reservations are like.

I'm so sorry I ever doubted you. You obviously have all the answers.

LOL I literally answered your question and this is all you have...... Go figured.....

/end thread

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   

To be fair if he doesnt want to take my claims seriously, he can ask anyone thats lived on the rez or spent any time there.

Most of them yes use P.O Boxes but everyone has a physical address....not unlike many really really small out of the way towns all over the country.....

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: headorheart
If you can't win fair, just suppress others

Pathetic. I was very much for an ID for voting until I researched it. It is absolutely voter suppression.

What did you research, NAACP.com? Showing an ID is a way to keep illegals from voting. It's far from voter suppression.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   

To be fair if he doesnt want to take my claims seriously, he can ask anyone thats lived on the rez or spent any time there.

Most of them yes use P.O Boxes but everyone has a physical address....not unlike many really really small out of the way towns all over the country.....

The point is, unless you have lived on a reservation in North Dakota, then you are not in any position to make claims about them having addresses. According to the people that live there, the process to obtain an address is far from easy or standardized.

Tuesday, a group of Native Americans returned to court with a new lawsuit demonstrating that the residential address rule did not merely burden their right to vote; it denied them access to the ballot altogether. Their suit explained how tribal voters simply could not obtain a residential address: The state’s mapping systems conflict with each other, as do the state’s different residency databases, meaning many voters cannot secure an official address in time for the election.

But you have lived on a reservation, so you know better, right?

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   

a reply to: Vasa Croe

You are a lost cause.

How do you not see the real issue? The issue isn't that they have options to vote, the issue is that North Dakota targeted a specific group of people for voter suppression (BTW, suppression doesn't mean all, it means some). Their reasons for doing so are non-existent (There is NO documented voter fraud at all) and yet you still believe this is a necessary law. If they are able to prevent even a small percentage away from the polls, their plan is a success.

You are viewing the world only through the glasses of partisan rhetoric.

Answer me one question and I will leave you alone on this topic. Why was this law needed? Please back it up with facts.

Please, allow me to ask you to read my post with the NBCNews link and you might see how lax and open-to-fraud the original system has been: www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'm certain that you won't accept that as factual reasons why, but when you label others as 'lost causes' and you claim that others 'do not see the real issue,' you really reduce your own validity in your claims of what the real issue is.

See, with voting, there are two pretty big issues in this particular scenario: (1) That those allowed in the Constitution are able to vote, and (2) that the guidelines for voting are followed for every individual ballot cast, everywhere in the nation.

Hopefully we agree that number one is a given, so there's no need to argue the merits of that.

Unfortunately, I don't think that you are as concerned with the second issue as I and others are, which can be boiled down to a five-word phrase: The integrity of the vote.

Without ensuring the best way possible that our voting process authenticates the citizenship and age of the voter, we have an unnecessary possibility of voter fraud and lost integrity of the vote. North Dakota, prior to these changes, didn't even require people to register, which is a simple way to authenticate both age and citizenship. Requiring IDs with a street address is just another appropriate way to ensure that the district/precinct is the appropriate one in which the individual should be voting.

What are you so afraid of, having changes that close up this swiss-cheese style of voting that has been the norm in North Dakota?

Like others have noted with facts, no one is disenfranchised in this particular election, and to claim that is absolute bullsh*t of the worst kind. Please stop the willful ignorance at this point.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Actually he’s right it’s been in effect since the primaries. He was calling me names so I just decided to screw with him for a little bit .

Thing is they had plenty of time to get their addresses. They didn’t do it though I guess relying on the lawsuit instead . Look up Indian reservations in North Dakota on Google maps. There are streets everywhere .
edit on 6-11-2018 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Get off the rez and get an address.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join