It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Judge allows North Dakota Republicans to block Native Americans from voting

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 10:37 AM
link   
After Heidi Heitkamp narrow win in 2012 mainly due to Native American voters, Republicans in North Dakota's legislature decided to disenfranchise those Native Americans. They passed a law which requires all voters to present an ID that lists their current residential address. This law obviously targets Native Americans, many of whom live on reservations without street addresses. Before this law, voters could vote with a PO Box which is how most Native Americans receive their mail.

This law makes it impossible for most Native Americans to vote at all since they can't just obtain a street address.

The judge that upheald the law even noted that even though the law will certainly prevent Native Americans from voting he cited the Purcell principle which warns lower courts not to alter voting laws close to an election.

Despite these roadblocks, Hovland refused to block the law’s application to these unlucky voters and their tribe, Spirit Lake. Hovland conceded that their claims gave him “great cause for concern.” But he cited the Supreme Court’s Purcell principle, which warns lower courts not to alter voting laws shortly before an election due to the risk of voter confusion. In a jab at the 8th Circuit, Hovland noted that the problems highlighted in this lawsuit “were clearly predictable and certain to occur.” Yet because early voting has already begun—and the election is five days away—Hovland concluded that a new injunction “will create as much confusion as it will alleviate.”

This is clear voter suppression on the part of North Dakota Republicans and should be denounced by Republicans and Democrats alike. The right to vote is the most basic right of living within a democracy and to take it away to hold onto power is despicable.

LINK

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   
If you can't win fair, just suppress others

Pathetic. I was very much for an ID for voting until I researched it. It is absolutely voter suppression.

+4 more 
posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Funny really like the Dims say blacks can't get an ID. Nothing like the plantation racist Dim are at it again.

+17 more 
posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Nonsense. They can go pick up a ballot and mail it in or, maybe just DRIVE to the actual polling station and vote like most of the country.

Oh, and how can mail be delivered without an address? Maybe make some improvements on the reservation. Like a $25 street sign and a $25 mailbox like EVERYONE who lives on a street in the US.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets
Nonsense. They can go pick up a ballot and mail it in or, maybe just DRIVE to the actual polling station and vote like most of the country.

Oh, and how can mail be delivered without an address? Maybe make some improvements on the reservation. Like a $25 street sign and a $25 mailbox like EVERYONE who lives on a street in the US.

Are you stupid? It's not a matter of driving to the voting place or mailing in a ballot. If they do not have a street address, they cannot vote at all.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
Funny really like the Dims say blacks can't get an ID. Nothing like the plantation racist Dim are at it again.

Alright smart guy. How do you get an address if the house you live in doesn't have an address?

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: mikell

The racial undertones around here lately are disgusting. Get better talking points other than thinly veiled racist ones. It's like you guys are a hivemind, picking up and using all these buzzwords and phrases all at the same time. I think I'm going to start calling you guys Borg because it's like you all share the same mind.

+15 more 
posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Without an address you could vote in jurisdictions you don’t belong. An entire reservation that I persuade to vote Republican could come to your home town. Paid for by me with about 20 school buses I could destroy any small jurisdictions.

+4 more 
posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlackJackal

Alright smart guy. How do you get an address if the house you live in doesn't have an address?

Call the frigging electric company they are the ones who assign addresses. Even if the lots empty they assign them.

I am very smart by the way!!

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: BlackJackal

Then get a street and a mailbox. They knew about this a long long time. From my experience, if something is a known problem and nothing is done to fix the problem but complain about it then they would be stupid and also anyone else complaining about it.

Fix the problem before it is a problem. They did it to themselves.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Oh, and how can mail be delivered without an address? .

A PO box... did you even bother reading the OP?

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Ours allows tribal members to use the Nations' address for this and any other address verification need.

Its family, I don't know what ND tribes are doing to their people by just sealing them off from the world yet still expect them to get along with it.

ND tribes need to pull their people out of the darkness and into the modern world, or else you might as well live in a zoo.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

A P.O. does not establish where someone lives. That is the fundamental problem. I can get a P.O. anywhere. If you can't see that being an issue when voting then I do not know what to tell you. It opens another crack for voter fraud.

link   

link   

Call the frigging electric company they are the ones who assign addresses. Even if the lots empty they assign them.

Do they have electric in a Teepee?

link   

You do realize that Indian Reservations are not the property of the United States and therefore do not follow the laws of the United States, right? You are smart so I assume you just made a mistake with your previous comment.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

A P.O. does not establish where someone lives. That is the fundamental problem. I can get a P.O. anywhere. If you can't see that being an issue when voting then I do not know what to tell you. It opens another crack for voter fraud.

Well, then how should they vote? How should they be allowed to exercise their basic right?

Also, it has been this way for decades without any voter fraud issues. Why change now?

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Stupid is right in his name, I guess we should have known better than to expect logic out of that one.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 10:56 AM
link   

I've seen a lot of news on this lately.

They are going to fight this but in the meantime they are printing their own ID's

abcnews.go.com...

+6 more 
posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 10:57 AM
link   

You do realize that Indian Reservations are not the property of the United States and therefore do not follow the laws of the United States, right? You are smart so I assume you just made a mistake with your previous comment.

If they aren't part of the U.S. and don't follow our laws, then why allow them to vote at all?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join