It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazon Free Shipping to all during the holidays

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   
www.washingtonpost.com...

Amazon is clever, very clever. Free shipping to everyone during the holiday. I'm sure glad I canceled my prime a while ago.
Speaking of which, a very odd thing when I canceled my prime, I got my orders faster! Not sure how that happened.
I just noticed a Uhaul rental truck speeding in my neighborhood. It was someone delivering Amazon orders. I'm sure this holiday season it's going
to be nuts for them! They are hiring delivery people nonstop.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

This is clever. I just recently had such a horrible customer service experience with them. Free shipping is tempting though.

They incorrectly billed me, then would not fix it. I had proof it was there error. I talked to four different people. Not one person apologized they just kept informing me they were unauthorized to refund or provide a gift card. When I asked to be transferred to someone with authority, I just got the run around.

They literally told me I should cancel my prime membership and file a dispute with my bank if I was unhappy. I did both those things. I got my $150 back

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   

So, basically, EVERY Amazon Prime member is screwed, as all the non-prime members now get the free shipping similar to the Prime members who've paid for the subscription?

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: jhn7537

So, basically, EVERY Amazon Prime member is screwed, as all the non-prime members now get the free shipping similar to the Prime members who've paid for the subscription?

That's exactly what I was thinking. Amazon hopes that non-prime members will love the shipping so much that they will sign up after the holidays. I'm sure Amazon took into account that some Prime members might cancel.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Assuming someone rented a Uhaul to deliver packages? This might work if they rent a one way flat rate. The profit margin would be low up front but long term maybe not with maintenance costs.

Uhaul, believe it or not does not make money off the truck rentals. They either lose or break even. The costs associated with maintenance is very high since they can break down in the middle of nowhere.

What they do make money on are boxes. Profit is like 2000% or something stupid. Also, storage but not as much as the boxes.

At one point Uhaul went bankrupt which is crazy because they were at that time really the only rental truck game in the market. One of the family members of Uhaul was also murdered in a family power grab. It was covered on Unsolved Mysteries. Family of idiots is what they are. They probably would not wise up to this Amazon delivery thing.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   

No, rumour has it they're going to send every prime member a turkey each and every week leading up to Turkey Day, aka pagan holiday on which you stuff your face with roast buzzard.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

That's exactly what I was thinking. Amazon hopes that non-prime members will love the shipping so much that they will sign up after the holidays. I'm sure Amazon took into account that some Prime members might cancel.

Back before everybody had prime, I got my orders in two days and only bought things with "free" shipping. Last year I noticed that changed- my orders would sit around for 7 days and then ship...2nd day delivery. They were trying really hard to get me to buy prime.

I rarely order from them anymore- you can get the same product from the same person for about the same price on eBay- and it shows up in an Amazon box... A lot sooner than an Amazon order would.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets
Assuming someone rented a Uhaul to deliver packages? This might work if they rent a one way flat rate. The profit margin would be low up front but long term maybe not with maintenance costs.

My guess was that their normal truck broke down or something like that. That would be crazy if they were using it full time. They were definately delivering Amazon packages, I saw them do it/delivering the packages, and they were hauling!

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   

If Uhaul had any brain power they would go into this business of renting trucks to Amazon deliverers. Profit margin would be small but it's still profit. Amazon wants nothing to do with that pocket change.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 10:29 AM
link   

If Uhaul had any brain power they would go into this business of renting trucks to Amazon deliverers. Profit margin would be small but it's still profit. Amazon wants nothing to do with that pocket change.

I read about the delivery fleet businesses under Amazon, pocket change is right. It is just not worth it. You would need an enormous fleet & good drivers just to make a little bit, and I imagine insurance would be very high.
If Amazon hasn't figured out a way to make money from it, we probably won't either!

You are right about Uhaul. They could have some vehicles that aren't being used that could loop into different delivery service, but who are we to help them run their business better

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Nice deal!

Is it free shipping, or free TWO DAY shipping?

Don't get me wrong, I love free shipping, but two day versus a week....well...keeping my Prime

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
Nice deal!

Is it free shipping, or free TWO DAY shipping?

Don't get me wrong, I love free shipping, but two day versus a week....well...keeping my Prime

It doesn't say, so my guess is that there isn't a promised time.
Seriously though, since I canceled prime my shipping is faster!

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: eNaR

No, rumour has it they're going to send every prime member a turkey each and every week leading up to Turkey Day, aka pagan holiday on which you stuff your face with roast buzzard.

I like turkey (not the country), so I'm okay with this trade-off

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Technically, the Amazon Prime account we have is my husband's. We do all ordering through mine, which isn't Prime.

Neither one of us really cares about the free holiday shipping gimmick, and he's far from pissed off. He got the membership for Prime Video, not for free shipping. Hence why when we order something, it's through my account. They both take about the same time to get something to us, so it's not a big deal, Prime doesn't REALLY deliver s# 2 days after you order it (more like 2 days after it completes processing)

Anyone who's ever compared shipping times isn't going to be fooled by the gimmick, and I think Amazon knows that. They're in no danger of losing subscribers.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 10:49 AM
link   
OH! And to clarify, they're just removing the minimum order total to qualify for free shipping, not making it 2-day shipping across the board.

Another reason why they're not worried right there.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

My guess was that their normal truck broke down or something like that. That would be crazy if they were using it full time. They were definately delivering Amazon packages, I saw them do it/delivering the packages, and they were hauling!

No, they're not renting Uhauls to fill in for broken down ones, that's Amazon Logistics. They contract out, akin to an Uber or Lyft type of delivery service. You or I could literally sign up to do the deliveries, all we need is a vehicle, our own or rented, that can haul everything.
I've had one thing come this way so far, and it was a good experience, but I've read some total horror stories about packages taking much longer to get to you (packages will be returned to the nearest distribution point if the route goes over the contract time) or disappearing all together.

It has the potential to be a job boom, but it's really iffy right now until they clean it up better.
edit on 11/6/2018 by Nyiah because: Clarification.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:02 AM
link   
The Prime TV and music is enough for me to subscribe, the free shipping is just a bonus.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:12 PM
link   

As a Prime member, it seems unfair.
Think we deserve a proportional refund.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   
amazon has been getting a lot of flak lately for not taking care of it's employee's and it's turned a lot of people off including people like me who will not order from them unless I have no other option

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

As a Prime member, it seems unfair.
Think we deserve a proportional refund.

Why? It's just removing the minimum purchase amount to qualify for free shipping, not upgrading to free 2-day.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join