It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China shows off J-10B with WS-10 thrust vectoring engine at Zhuhai Airshow

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 09:01 AM
link   

The Chinese have designed and just showed off in the Zhuhai air show a J-10B outfitted with a modified WS-10 engine. The modifications make it thrust vectoring. The video above is the J-10 doing various acrobatics for the airshow underway now. The TVC was demonstrated in all three axis.

Clearly, the Chinese are comfortable enough with their development of TV to show it off.

The question becomes will they be rolling this out as an upgrade to their J-10s or will this be their equivalent of the X-31? It is a little unclear.

Based on the bauplan of the J-20, I doubt getting thrust vectoring would help terribly much. OTOH, I have to wonder about the J/FC-31 and the Su-27/33 derivatives. The former could use a bit more umph to get the PLAAF to finally buy it as well as increase its appeal for international sales. The latter could use it, but given I think they are on the way out, I'd doubt it would be worthwhile. YMMV.

There are numerous links on the subject:

alert5.com...
www.flightglobal.com...
alert5.com...
www.janes.com...
defense-update.com...
edit on 6-11-2018 by anzha because: added another link.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   
What do they mean on all three axis? I can see pitch and yaw, but I don't see how it can be used in the roll axis. What am I missing?

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   

new topics

join