It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

wanna harass your friends? see how they've voted in the past? there's an app for that!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 04:38 AM
link   
a reply to: jedi_hamster
I'm confused, is it public record how people vote in the US?
Here in the UK there is no formal record of how I vote, the paper ballot slip is stored for a few years with the millions of others but the individuals vote is not recorded on a database or anything.
Seems like creepy 1984 # to me if your vote is public record in the US.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 05:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
FFS - people really do need to learn to read

the app does NOT tell people how you voted [ ie - candidate ] - just which elections you voted in

while i believe that voting is your civil duty - itss also a right to be an ass hole and abstain from the process

local " peer pressure " is NOT the way to increase voter turnout

YOU need to learn to read, mate. those apps tell people what your party affiliation is - because that info is public record. and that basically equals to whom you're voting for.

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
Here in the UK there is no formal record of how I vote, the paper ballot slip is stored for a few years with the millions of others but the individuals vote is not recorded on a database or anything.

amazingly, it is. i'm from europe as well.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 05:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: jedi_hamster
amazingly, it is. i'm from europe as well.
Gosh, I can't imagine our vote being public record, the secrecy of voting is a fundamental part of UK government. I'm open about it myself but I would have a problem with government recording individual's votes for sure.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Athetos
my mistake, I just assumed it was handled the same way as in Canada. We have secret ballot. It just makes so much sense I thought everyone would use it.

a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
www.elections.ca...
Voting in Canada is by secret ballot. The security of the ballot is paramount, and the system makes it impossible to discover for which candidate a specific voter has voted. Furthermore, a ballot cast with a mark that could potentially allow the voter to be identified has to be rejected. This is to ensure that no electors are intimidated or bribed into voting in a particular way. Intimidation and bribery, as well as any attempt to reveal how an elector has voted or is going to vote, is an offence under the Canada Elections Act.

The privacy of electors is also very important to Elections Canada, and it is enforced in all aspects of electoral administration. For example, to enforce the right to privacy, the use of personal information obtained for electoral purposes is strictly regulated. The law imposes controls on who can obtain this information and how it can be used, and it sets out penalties for non-compliance.

I can second this. I voted 2 weeks ago in civic elections. My voter card was taken and put into a box before I even got a ballot. At no point was any of my personal information stored or associated with my ballot card which I put into a different box at the end. The votes were done on paper with pencil. There's zero way anyone can find out who i voted for without me saying.

Every time i've voted whether it's local, provincial or federal it's been like that.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: dug88
That's how it works in the UK as well...I take my own pen though...tinfoil hat thinking about erasers n all that.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

Your party affiliation is public record. Supposedly your vote is not but I guess it could be assumed most vote along party lines. They can track whether you vote or not, I think but not who you actually voted for. Of course with electronic voting I could see how someone might be able to track your actual vote but it isn't a matter of public record.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Khaleesi
Ah got ya

It's still paper ballots in the UK, no identifying markers or anything, I hope we don't go down the electronic voting path but whatever happens in the US eventually finds it's way to the UK.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   

There are privacy downsides to using the apps. OutVote harvests personal data, including email addresses, physical addresses, and company names,

and you can’t control whether your contacts use the app and harvest your information as a result.

VoteWithMe previously collected personal data, but after The New York Times inquired, it ended the practice.

That caught my eye.

<< 1   >>

join