It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

wanna harass your friends? see how they've voted in the past? there's an app for that!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 08:55 PM
link   

It’s easy enough to say you’re going to the polls, but nobody is really tracking whether you cast your ballot — until now. Two new political apps, VoteWithMe and OutVote, will help you see if your friends voted and what their party affiliations are. Both apps were designed to help you encourage your friends and family to vote in the upcoming midterm election, as first reported by The New York Times.

www.theverge.com...

this will not be abused. AT ALL.

i know it's all in a public record, but still - how stupid can they be? oh wait - people from Obama administration started it, and by default it displays the democrats only. how nice of them - you gotta toggle the setting to see reasonable people/potential harassment targets.

this is a perfect example of the technology used in a wrong way. sure, it's simplifying things that were possible already - but it's simplifying all the wrong things.

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 09:01 PM
link   
This throws voter confidentiality out the window. I can’t see how this could be legal .

a reply to: jedi_hamster

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Because nothing bad could ever come of something like this, amirite?

Who the hell thought this was a good idea??
edit on 11/5/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Vote shaming, can't see how that will end badly....

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Who to remain friends with?
There's an Ap for that!
Lord help us, we're up #creek without a paddle.

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Athetos
I can’t see how this could be legal .

Voter roles and party affiliation are public records.

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 09:08 PM
link   
my mistake, I just assumed it was handled the same way as in Canada. We have secret ballot. It just makes so much sense I thought everyone would use it.

a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
www.elections.ca...
Voting in Canada is by secret ballot. The security of the ballot is paramount, and the system makes it impossible to discover for which candidate a specific voter has voted. Furthermore, a ballot cast with a mark that could potentially allow the voter to be identified has to be rejected. This is to ensure that no electors are intimidated or bribed into voting in a particular way. Intimidation and bribery, as well as any attempt to reveal how an elector has voted or is going to vote, is an offence under the Canada Elections Act.

The privacy of electors is also very important to Elections Canada, and it is enforced in all aspects of electoral administration. For example, to enforce the right to privacy, the use of personal information obtained for electoral purposes is strictly regulated. The law imposes controls on who can obtain this information and how it can be used, and it sets out penalties for non-compliance.
edit on 5-11-2018 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 09:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Athetos
my mistake, I just assumed it was handled the same way as in Canada. We have secret ballot. It just makes so much sense I thought everyone would use it.

a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
www.elections.ca...
Voting in Canada is by secret ballot. The security of the ballot is paramount, and the system makes it impossible to discover for which candidate a specific voter has voted. Furthermore, a ballot cast with a mark that could potentially allow the voter to be identified has to be rejected. This is to ensure that no electors are intimidated or bribed into voting in a particular way. Intimidation and bribery, as well as any attempt to reveal how an elector has voted or is going to vote, is an offence under the Canada Elections Act.

The privacy of electors is also very important to Elections Canada, and it is enforced in all aspects of electoral administration. For example, to enforce the right to privacy, the use of personal information obtained for electoral purposes is strictly regulated. The law imposes controls on who can obtain this information and how it can be used, and it sets out penalties for non-compliance.

Well , finally one way that Canada is superior to the United States

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Oh, it's coming.
www.imdb.com...

This show hits the nail on the head within the current cultural climate and its prophecies of the future.

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

didn't watch it yet, too many things in backlog, but when a tv-based satire predicts the social climate, you know things aren't going well.
edit on 5/11/2018 by jedi_hamster because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Yeah, instant look-up of all of your contacts so you can pressure them to vote (and vote Democrat). Great idea.

The makers of the apps are hoping that social pressure to vote will increase turnout.

It also encourages you to message those who didn’t vote in the last midterm election and those who live in areas that are more contentious, along with information about who’s on the ballot and who is predicted to win.

Although that’s all information that was available before, the easy access to syncing all your contacts exposes these affiliations more directly.

VoteWithMe was made by a nonprofit called the New Data Project that was started by people in the Obama administration.

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Yes. My twin brother got in his mailbox the other day a big card that listed all of his neighbors and him and which elections they voted in the past yen years. Then it compared them, percentage wise. Gave each a grade. He said "I don't think I like everyone knowing my voting habits- is that even legal?"

Whatever organization sent it, they were obviously trying to encourage voting, but they tried to do it by pitting you against your neighbors. Shameful, and more evidence of the divide and conquer mindset of our "leaders."

edit on 5-11-2018 by KansasGirl because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-11-2018 by KansasGirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: jedi_hamster

It’s easy enough to say you’re going to the polls, but nobody is really tracking whether you cast your ballot — until now. Two new political apps, VoteWithMe and OutVote, will help you see if your friends voted and what their party affiliations are. Both apps were designed to help you encourage your friends and family to vote in the upcoming midterm election, as first reported by The New York Times.

www.theverge.com...

this will not be abused. AT ALL.

i know it's all in a public record, but still - how stupid can they be? oh wait - people from Obama administration started it, and by default it displays the democrats only. how nice of them - you gotta toggle the setting to see reasonable people/potential harassment targets.

this is a perfect example of the technology used in a wrong way. sure, it's simplifying things that were possible already - but it's simplifying all the wrong things.

Not surprised. The democrats need to bully people more effectively. If they actually vote in their self interest, instead of what the crowd tells them to do, they are in real trouble.

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 10:06 PM
link   
In a word...

DESPERATION!!!!

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 10:15 PM
link   
How the F is it ever legal in ANY state in any way, shape or form to disseminate the way someone has voted. I would say that even stating that someone has or hasn't voted should be a felony, let alone HOW they voted. This type of thing should be shut down and the developers jailed for treason.

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 10:45 PM
link   
They don't need an app for this. All Dems can publicly talk about who they vote for without fear of any blow back. Now, Republican and especially Trump voters are like Gay black people in the deep south during the 50's. Afraid to speak up for fear of repercussion and shaming. So, basically if your loud and boisterous about who you voted for, you're a dem. If you refuse to talk politics in public, it's a bigly chance you voted red.

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 11:03 PM
link   
a reply to: rollanotherone

it may bite them in the ass though.

"oh, a friend voted republican and i didn't know, i thought he's leaning to the left side". it works both ways, only - as you've noticed - the left is louder and more aggressive, so using such apps comes with a price, considering all the data being collected.
edit on 5/11/2018 by jedi_hamster because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: jedi_hamster
a reply to: rollanotherone

it may bite them in the ass though.

"oh, a friend voted republican and i didn't know, i thought he's leaning to the left side". it works both ways, only - as you've noticed - the left is louder and more aggressive, so using such apps comes with a price, considering all the data being collected.

I guess it'll encourage more Republican voters to "come out of the closet" and (fingers crossed) speak more freely about the decision to vote Republican. I know at my job, only about 5 people know I vote Republican. That's 5 out of about 650 people. Mind you, I have to attend meetings and gatherings where 25% of the conversation is about how evil Trump and his admin are and to "vote the 4aaholes out"

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 04:03 AM
link   
FFS - people really do need to learn to read

the app does NOT tell people how you voted [ ie - candidate ] - just which elections you voted in

while i believe that voting is your civil duty - itss also a right to be an ass hole and abstain from the process

local " peer pressure " is NOT the way to increase voter turnout

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 04:32 AM
link   
I received the following text yesterday:

“Public records will show whether you vote in this election or not. You and your neighbors can look up who voted. Be sure to vote: VoteInTennessee.com”

My answer was, “ Don't try to intimidate me.“ I felt that my privacy was violated to receive this from an unknown number on my privet cell phone.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join