It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Court: Man Can Sue Over Surprise Pregnancy But Not For Theft

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 01:35 AM
link   
A Chicago doctor won a partial victory when a court agreed that he could sue a former lover emotional distress. However, the court also ruled that he could not sue her for theft when she used semen obtained through oral sex to get pregnant. In the brief, Dr. Sharon Irons, maintains that the semen was a "gift" and they had no agreement requiring its return.

story.news.yahoo.com
CHICAGO - A man who says his former lover deceived him by getting pregnant using semen obtained through oral sex can sue for emotional distress — but not theft, an appeals court has ruled.

Dr. Richard O. Phillips accuses Dr. Sharon Irons of a "calculated, profound personal betrayal" six years ago, but she says they had the baby through sexual intercourse.

The Illinois Appeals Court said Wednesday that Phillips can press a claim for emotional distress after alleging Irons had used his sperm to have a baby, but agreed that however the baby was conceived, Irons didn't steal the sperm.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The child is 6 years old and the mother had better hope that word of this never reaches the young one. Can you imagine the harassment that child would receive if it did? The part of the case I have a hard time with is that Irons hit him with a paternity suit and child support two years after she had the baby with the secretive sperm. She kept the genetic material, why is he being held responsible?

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 07:06 PM
link   
This is a very interesting issue. Too big for me to get involved with right now, but
for covering it.

...He says she 'stole' his sperm - she says the child was conceived normally - so there is more to the story Fred -

" Irons, who practices internal medicine in suburban Olympia Fields, said in a telephone interview Thursday that Phillips knew she was still married during their affair, and also knew she was pregnant with his child.

"He was very supportive and very happy about it," she said. "He said, `You need to hurry up and get your divorce.'"

He promised to marry her and asked her to quit her job, she said, but several days before her last day at work, Phillips informed her that he "couldn't go through with it."

....Sounds to me like this guy just wants to weasel out of child support payments - and he's getting creative with his defense.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I tell you what, if he gets so creative with his case and win, how many other man can get away and sue their lovers for other reasons as to get over the Paternity rights.

I only can say that in this time an age this world is still a male dominated one.

And any way how did she got pregnant If he claims that she took the sperm in her mouth?

Ah.......She most had spit it in a turkey injector and then injected herself with it.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   
ya know this was the way I thought babies WERE made when I was about 10 or so. Seemed a lot of guys did that to girls in the videos my dad had stashed away

I wonder is she can get him to pay child support to?

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 09:46 PM
link   
In New Mexico, a man is financially responsible for any child his wife gives birth to, regardless of paternity.

How long can sperm live when exposed to the enzymes in saliva or at room temperature?

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jehosephat

I wonder is she can get him to pay child support to?

She did for the last 4 years in fact as I aluded to in the intial post

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Ah.......She most had spit it in a turkey injector and then injected herself with it.

You know Marg, I refrained from making ANY comment about the insemination method............ Just let me say this as I cannot resist.

See if I come over to her house for Thanksgiving

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
How long can sperm live when exposed to the enzymes in saliva or at room temperature?

I doubt very long, considering the malignant particles and pollution in the air, then again the best sperm survive, so I would guess around couple of hours, if you looking for a baby to come out.

Surf

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Oh FredT, I was trying to make a funny joke about it, I could not let that one go, I tell you I don't believe that she took the semen in her mouth I believe she conceived that child the normal God given way, by sex.

So he is just trying to get away from responsibility.

top topics

join