It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Armed With Assault Rifles, Black Panthers March For Stacey Abrams

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 09:21 AM
link   

And don't forget it was "conservative" fear of armed groups of the original Black Panthers in Oakland that prompted Ronald Reagan to sign California's Mulford Act, effectively ending the public carrying of loaded firearms in California, with limited exceptions, e.g., with "may issue" permits.

"Black Panther Party Comes To Wilmington, North Carolina"
www.youtube.com...

edit on 5-11-2018 by Erno86 because: link work

edit on 5-11-2018 by Erno86 because: ditto

edit on 5-11-2018 by Erno86 because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-11-2018 by Erno86 because: added a few words

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   
As an ardent 2nd Amendment supporter, and fellow CCL holder, I wonder if Georgia has a brandishing law? If so, then this man with the rifle is brandishing that firearm since he has is hand on the pistol grip. If he merely had it slung properly, it would not cross the line into brandishing.

In my state, that pose would be considered brandishing a firearm in public and be grounds for arrest and possible confiscation and revocation of his firearms license.

If Georgia has not such status, then I see no issue with his actions as long as he is following the proper rules regarding politicking near a polling station tomorrow.

Anyone here know more about Georgia firearms laws in this respect?

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   
In Texas, you can't have a firearm at a place of voting.

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: CADpro

They're not at a place of voting, they're on the sidewalk in front of the Family Dollar.

edit on 5-11-2018 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

They're not at a place of voting, they're on the sidewalk in front of the Family Dollar.

Which is public property, right? I still wonder if brandishing a firearm in public is illegal there.

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa
Which is public property, right?

Totally.

I still wonder if brandishing a firearm in public is illegal there.

Not sure on how Georgia handles this and if it's an issue.

edit on 5-11-2018 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

These people are morons. If they attempt to deploy to the polls as they have in the past, they should be jailed and prosecuted.

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Which is public property, right? I still wonder if brandishing a firearm in public is illegal there.

As long as they have a permit, open carry is legal in Georgia.

LINK

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Apparently, there is no law in Georgia against brandishing. The closest I could find is GA Code § 16-11-102 (2017):

A person is guilty of a misdemeanor when he intentionally and without legal justification points or aims a gun or pistol at another, whether the gun or pistol is loaded or unloaded.

There are laws against threatening another person, but that would be a steep legal hill to climb IMO.

Looks like as long as they are not pointing it, it's legal.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Thanks folks....I was seeing conflicting positions in my search. I wanted to get real data, and not rely upon opinion or MSM half-truths.

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Similar statements have been made concerning white people practicing open carry.

all I want is some consistency, what they are doing is either a good thing or a bad thing, it cant be bad for one group and ok for another.

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   

No problem... it can seem like a different world down here sometimes.

There was this one time when I was living away from home for work. My paychecks were being sent home, which was fine because every weekend I would drive home and pick them up. Then my car broke down one Friday. I didn't have enough money to fix it without going home to get my check, and I couldn't get home without getting it fixed. So I did something I had never done before: I pawned my guns.

I called a a taxi, told them I would be transporting weapons and why, and they sent a car to my house. I loaded the trunk down with artillery and they dropped me off in the middle of downtown Birmingham at a pawn store. I unloaded the trunk (that was a couple gun belts full, weapons slung across both shoulders, and my hands full... I rattled when I walked!) and went inside. They were not in a negotiating mood that day, so I left... they didn't offer me enough to get the car fixed. I walked through downtown Birmingham that way, carrying enough (unloaded) weaponry to start a small war, to another pawn shop that would give me enough for them. I swear I made these guys in the photo look like wimps. I'm 6'-2", was slim but built tough, have a natural swagger in my walk, long hair, full beard, and all of it topped off with a black Stetson.

Every cop car in the area seemed to be circling, and they would slow every time they came near me. I knew they were watching me, so I just kept my eyes forward and went about my business. No one questioned me. I got my money, caught a cab home, called the repair shop, told them to go ahead, got my car the next day, drove home, got my check, cashed it, and Monday morning called work to say I would be a little late because when that pawn shop opened I was there for my guns.

From what I've heard, doing what I did anywhere outside the South would be an automatic "throw him under the jail and then demolish it on top of him" moment. Not here. Guns are just there. No big deal; just keep your eyes open.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   
OK, just dont shoot anyone, especially Abrams' party when they come to collect those guns from you.

This happened 45+ years ago and it was fine.

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Exactly.

If it's bad for every group, we can adjust. Unhappily, perhaps, but meh.

If it's good for every group, that means we're being judged by our actions, rather than our looks.

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I think its great for dollar stores everywhere. People armed in their parking lot should help with business.

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   

What constitutes brandishing?

Those gentlemen in the picture aren't, by my definition of the word, brandishing. I suspect that brandishing is in the eye of the beholder.

I think it's silly. I think it's self-defeating. If this group were some good ol' rednecks (sorry, TheRedneck, you know I don't mean you...) standing there with their **sigh** "assault rifles" **sigh**, and shouting such things as "white power", "power to the people." what would the reactions in this thread be like...

I wonder.

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

i'm not up to speed on the laws regarding open carry.
but, i don't think it's against the law to open carry in their state.
i don't think it's against the law to stand in line at the polls with a holstered gun.

but if the person who carries the firearm, intimidates, menace, or makes threatening statements, to people trying to vote, walk down the street or exiting any building, then that's when the right to bear arms is no longer valid.

in the photo the original poster provided, i don't see a polling place so they have every right to stand there wave their signs and hold their guns. they should be careful not to point the muzzle at anyone or anything while doing so. that is not protected by the 2nd either.

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I consider "brandishing" as showing a weapon in an aggressive manner with intent to intimidate or threaten. While some people might see what they are doing as brandishing, I do not. It is not an intent to threaten to look scary... not everyone looks like a victim, and most of us never got to fill out that form before birth to determine what we look like. I know I didn't... I'd have picked a MUCH different look! Something similar to Chris Reeves or Sean Connery, perhaps... that way I wouldn't scare little children.

Besides, it's close to Halloween. I know one year I didn't want to spend $$$ on a costume, so I threw on a gun belt and slung a rifle over my shoulder, donned trench coat and added a bandana, and went as a Wild West gunfighter! Had the best costume around.

TheRedneck

P.S.: Those you describe are NOT rednecks... they're just haters trying to be rednecks... and failing...

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

What constitutes brandishing?

Those gentlemen in the picture aren't, by my definition of the word, brandishing. I suspect that brandishing is in the eye of the beholder.

I think it's silly. I think it's self-defeating. If this group were some good ol' rednecks (sorry, TheRedneck, you know I don't mean you...) standing there with their **sigh** "assault rifles" **sigh**, and shouting such things as "white power", "power to the people." what would the reactions in this thread be like...

I wonder.

The great thing about the constitution is you have the right to be stupid regardless of race. In fact its not illegal to hate people either. All i will say is its bad optics for her campaign. But again its fine if the KKK decides to support Trump as well. Everyone has a right to vote

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: subfab

I *think* (and I could be wrong here) that open carry is still prohibited around polling places... must be concealed there. That may be a Federal thing, and I really have no issue with it. I don't want anyone trying to vote to be intimidated at all, and it's one day at specific locations only for a specific and reasonable purpose. Concealed carry is still OK, though, as I understand it.

Never really cared, to be honest. I see no reason to walk up to the polls with a Mini-14 on my back. *shrug*

TheRedneck

new topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join