It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida Governor race is cotton pickin important

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

A lot of white people have picked cotton.

This overloaded PC crap has gotten out of control.

edit:

Look like we live with the nonsense.
edit on 11/4/2018 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

A lot of people are niggardly too.

Start throwing that # around and see how well it goes

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Nyiah

They call it all kinds of things - Criss-cross applesauce is the most common one around here although when he's at tae kwon do, they call it sitting like a black belt.

When I lived in South Korea, since the school I went to was one for international students, the default way to say it was cross-legged. We had actual Indian classmates from India who were extremely confused at the American terminology, lol. I mean, they got the idea that it was influenced by either the Lotus sitting position, or how some Native tribes sat, but it confused them anyway. Outsider's perspective on the choice, I guess.

Some of the Eastern European students called it "Turkish style", though. Everyone planet-wide has their way to describe sitting cross-legged.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Point being, I'm really getting sick and tired of being told that everything I grew up with, everything I know, everything i am is racist. People need to get a freakin' grip. Not everything connected with the South is racist. The worst racism I ever saw was in New England.

I'm ready for another round, the War of Southern Aggression this time. Last time we danced, Lee was too much of a gentleman and lost because the Yankees were bloodthirsty. We won't make that mistake this time. MOABs are made in Alabama.

This racism thing is becoming a major button for me.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

Point being, I'm really getting sick and tired of being told that everything I grew up with, everything I know, everything i am is racist. People need to get a freakin' grip. Not everything connected with the South is racist. The worst racism I ever saw was in New England.

I'm ready for another round, the War of Southern Aggression this time. Last time we danced, Lee was too much of a gentleman and lost because the Yankees were bloodthirsty. We won't make that mistake this time. MOABs are made in Alabama.

This racism thing is becoming a major button for me.

TheRedneck

It would be more simple & straightforward to just secede and skip the pissy bloodbath.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

Just because people are ignorant of etymology ... the word predates the slang. It's a Middle English word of probably Scandinavian origin meaning miser or miserly.
edit on 4-11-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Oh, I understand.

I am tired of being told I can't say this or that because people in group x or y will feel bad about it.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 12:08 PM
link   

a reply to: TinySickTears

If I were black I would probably use a form of the word daily.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Just because people are ignorant of etymology ... the word predates the slang. It's a Middle English word of probably Scandinavian origin meaning miser or miserly.

You'd have a slam dunk if it wasn't for the fact that nobody is going to accept the F word as an acceptable alternative for "strike". And few people even accept that bitch is a proper term for a female canine, either. Both of those words' etymology predate the modern slang, but are considered offensive, so it's not etymological ignorance, it's the evolution of language.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

You'd have a slam dunk if it wasn't for the fact that nobody is going to accept the F word as an acceptable alternative for "strike". And few people even accept that bitch is a proper term for a female canine, either. Both of those words' etymology predate the modern slang, but are considered offensive, so it's not etymological ignorance, it's the evolution of language.

Been to a dog show recently? You'll find bitch all over there and in its proper context too. It's a bit hard to talk about dogs and breeding without using the term.

I wouldn't call it the "evolution" of language as much as what words we use and don't use regularly. I believe they still use the term fag quite regularly in the UK when they talk about cigarettes.

But how will the precious children react when reading about Ebenezer Scrooge, for example? If I recall correctly, Dickens used niggardly at least one in the novella. Are we going to sanitize it the same way we attempted to sanitize Huck Finn or are we simply going to ban it rather than learn about words and etymology? You know, because words evolve and stuff and it's easier to remain ignorant than learn about this stuff.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   

A faggot is a flaming torch, like Indiana Jones used in the movies, too... and at one time, it was slang for a cigarette. Not to mention, even the dreaded N-word is no more than a southern slang version of "Negro." It means someone with dark skin... at least it did to us. The Yankees were the ones who bastardized it and then declared us racist for their bastardization. The only ones around here in my time who used it the way the Yankees do was the KKK.

It's similar to the way we say "Californey" instead of "California" or "okry" instead of "okra." "Acapella" becomes "acapeller." It's the lazy Southern tongue.

Real racism is action, not words. Real racism is beating someone in the street because they're not like you. Real racism is trying to make sure people not like you can't use the same restaurants or bathrooms. You know, like ANTIFA and Maxine Waters...

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
The US is getting ridiculous with the 'everything is racist' thing, y'all seem like a backwards divided nation and need to grow up.

Id move if there was a sane place to go. Im about sick of my nation at this point.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Which is ridiculous. That's a word that's been in use since the 1500s, before the whole American slavery issue. It's even found in Shakespeare. Has nothing to do with "the n-word," predates it, has absolutely no racial connotations.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   

But "niggard/niggardly" (niggardly gets the most use) is NOT a slang term, modern or otherwise, and never had been. It has no meaning other than its dictionary definition.
edit on 4-11-2018 by riiver because: Autocorrect strikes again

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   

So, you’re okay with removing statues that glorified people who fought to retain slaves, because sometimes, we need to forget bad history. Good to know.

ISIS is doing the same thing as well. Anything THEY DEEM unworthy is destroyed. Its no surprise the American Left takes its lead from terrorists.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I assumed you were thinking in a broader context, not about niggardly specifically here.

But to my point, yes, what is considered a word's definition or definitions is certainly a language's evolution. Once upon a time in Egypt, the C word (which is filtered on here) used to be a respected term for women, and simply referred to our genitals and a goddess in India. Look at how it's definition evolved, it's highly offensive today.

Quick edit: One more to consider -- pussy. How do you view it in conversation? A term for a feline? An insult toward weakness? A lowbrow slang nickname for genitalia? It used to be a term of endearment, but it evolved to be a vulgar insult.

Language is very fluid, it is not a static communication construct.
edit on 11/4/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Language is very fluid, it is not a static communication construct.

That's not a good thing.

We depend on language, and if that language is fluid, so becomes our perceived meanings. While it may simply be an unstoppable force of nature that we will linguistically evolve, what we have seen happening lately is that the evolved meanings and connotations replace the original meanings, not supplement them. As a result, our communication becomes garbled in a swirling mass of this "evolution."

Kids have always had their slang... in my time, it was "cool" to use words that our parents didn't understand. It was a rebellious youth thing; we still knew that "cool" was a low temperature, but it also meant "good" to us. Today, it seems that evolution doesn't work so well. As soon as a slang term replaces the meaning of a word, the old meaning is seemingly destroyed.

People simply cannot keep up with that.

I blame our education system primarily, but I also blame the people. We need to be able to stand up to this linguistic tyranny. It has been said that "all that is required for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing" and that is true. By doing nothing, we have allowed ourselves to be separated by region, by age, by culture... all because our language is constantly evolving in parallel paths and the meanings of our words are thus weaponized.

"Evolving" words are the bullets... "racism" is the gun held to our heads.

TheRedneck

edit on 11/4/2018 by TheRedneck because: where'd that emoticon come from?

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I guess we should all walk on eggshells while the PC crowd learns to manage their own mental and emotional shortcomings.

But we should not have to fear speaking our mind because someone fears what thoughts arise in theirs.
edit on 4-11-2018 by Propagandalf because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Someone should start a thread on what terms, in 2018 America, are now "racist" and "unacceptable in polite conversation." The list grows so fast it's hard to keep up; maybe if we put them all in one place we can simply check every time we open our mouths to make sure we don't engage in any accidental racism.

/sarc

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 01:53 PM
link   
This is a powerful tweet from the president today. I didn't know Gillum had run Tallahassee so poorly. Why is he even considered a viable candidate?

mobile.twitter.com...

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join