It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida Governor race is cotton pickin important

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Oh, you grew up in Florida! Well then, you must obviously be the authority on all things southern. Case closed.

a reply to: kaylaluv

We caught tigers by the toe, when I was a kid.

But I'm not surprised you racist leftists would say your version.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

no
but i can speak of what i personally saw in the south

the point was just cause it was acceptable to some in some areas of the south it was not acceptable in all places

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Ohhhhh, I get it now. This thread’s in the mud pit. Hence all the nastiness.

I’m out. Carry on.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Don't forget about "Ring Around the Rosie" and it's roots in the Plague.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Suddenly I'm hungry for some friedass chiggun.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: Boadicea
en.m.wikipedia.org...

Lots of versions, including the “n-word” version.

So, in other words, an age-old rhyme of dubious origins was rewritten by racists for their own self-serving hateful purposes...

I'm shocked!

But I still have no reason to think it was just a southern thing. Northerners were at least as racist as southerners.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Seems minor. Only a few years back I would be in town, at the a store for instance, and people often mentioned the N-word president. I would have thought it was out of line but for many it wasn't.

At least those people are happier now, president wise.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: stosh64
That's good to read mate

The endless threads on ATS about pseudo racism make it seem like y'all have some big problem over there though.
...the ink is black, the page is white, together we learn to read and write, I remember that from primary school, we were taught to be just humans in my world.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

we were taught to be just humans in my world

In my world too mate.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   

A familiar pattern applied by Democrats to Presidents and VOTERS:

In all the time I’ve been President, almost two years, never once did Senator Bill Nelson call me to ask for help for the Great State of Florida. I never see him until election time....

twitter.com...

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

We caught tigers by the toe, when I was a kid.

I grew up in Southern California. My grandmother, who grew up in Texas, taught it to us using the "n" word. She also called native Americans "injuns".

She often told us "None of your cotton pickin business", or "get your cotton picken hand out of the cookie jar".
edit on 4-11-2018 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 11:01 AM
link   

According to Hatebase, this is only average offensive:

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

I know
It means more than 1 thing

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

I know
It means more than 1 thing

And because it refers to more than one thing, it is making an assumption to assume it refers to the most racist thing, but because the man who said it was of the wrong political affiliation, that is the assumption that the press will make. Change the letter after the name and it suddenly becomes a quaint, old-timey southenr phrase again because we all know that Democrats only have the best intentions at heart and are never racist, right?

And that is the problem with all this.
edit on 4-11-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Great... I picked cotton a few times when I was little. I had to. My Grandaddy was a sharecropper and needed help. I wasn't even big enough to pull a full bag. Dad would strap me to an empty bag, and when I was having trouble pulling it, he would take it from me and give me another empty one.

Now I guess the racists think I'm racist for picking cotton... add it to the list.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Masterjaden

You have to just not be from the south to think that's racist. It's a poor thing not a racist thing, it's a hard work thing not a racist thing. My mom, papaw and mamaw and aunt all picked cotton when my mom was little. They aren't black. It was hard work and hurt to do it,so cotton picking, means damned or tough or hard.

All this everything is racist is getting ridiculous.

Jaden

Are you kidding me??? I grew up in Florida, and inserting "cotton-pickin'" into anything would have gotten your ass kicked.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Gotta ask...is it OK to tell cotton picker jokes?

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
Great... I picked cotton a few times when I was little. I had to. My Grandaddy was a sharecropper and needed help. I wasn't even big enough to pull a full bag. Dad would strap me to an empty bag, and when I was having trouble pulling it, he would take it from me and give me another empty one.

Now I guess the racists think I'm racist for picking cotton... add it to the list.

TheRedneck

Like anything, it probably depended on what you farmed and how. When the harvest has to come in, it has to come in. In Kansas and other middle states, you bring in the wheat, and everyone drops everything to help.

We all have tales of working the wheat harvest. It's not as difficult or back breaking as cotton in the same way. It's just a two week marathon of working every minute of every day from dawn til well past dark because that wheat won't wait and if you try to make it wait, you lose money on the crop.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
a reply to: notsure1

i remember that too

i also remember sitting indian style on the floor

im sure thy dont call it that anymore

what about porch monkey?
there is another one

it means one thing and also means something else. since it means something else it is never to be uttered by a white person ever.

I think they call sitting Indian-style sitting cross-legged now.

Also, you forgot one, one of the lesser used southern phrases -- yard rats. My best friend's self-identified, loud & proud redneck mama used to used that one often to describe the kids all out playing (when it wasn't too hot out) I let that slip once in conversation regarding my kids here in MI with my neighbors (in their 60's, btw) and got the stink-eye & a mild scolding for uttering something so racist.

So not only time changes phrases' meanings, region does, too.

Cotton-pickin', though. That one's still considered offensive.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

They call it all kinds of things - Criss-cross applesauce is the most common one around here although when he's at tae kwon do, they call it sitting like a black belt.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join