It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida Governor race is cotton pickin important

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

But it's not. At all. In any way. Pretty damn sad this is how you find kicks and giggles. There's a name for folks who derive pleasure from the pain of others... And a diagnosis.

but it is funny
its funny that this dude chose those words

and the reactions to are and will be funny as well

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: TinySickTears
It just seems crazy to me with the race relations thing in the US.
In Britain we gave up the race divide back in the 80's, our gangs are mixed race and white supremacists have only the internet to chat with each other because society scorns them now.
You should start by calling people just 'American' instead of the stupid 'African American' thing, my mate is black and she is as British as me, not African British, just British.

this country is weird man

i mean we are only like a million years removed from slavery so people are still sensative

this is an affirmative action country dude.
you cant say # here

its funny cause it should not be a big deal but it is a big deal because even though that phrase kind of officially means a thing it also means another thing.

ever heard the word niggardly?

means stingy or not generous

but go ahead and say that # around here and see what you get

cryin and fighting

link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
I’m old enough to remember when kids used to say, “eeny, meeny, miney, moe - catch a n**ger by the toe. If he hollers, make him pay, fifty dollars every day.”

Probably a Southern thang. I don’t think too many people say that any more.

Im old enough to remember playing smear the queer with the football.

Even though there was never a gay guy playing it is now unacceptable .

But queer eye for the straight guy is ok lol
edit on 4-11-2018 by notsure1 because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Ooookay... I said in my post it was probably a southern thang, meaning people not in the Deep South probably didn’t say it that way. Never said it was racist when using another word instead. My daughter used it as a kid saying tiger. Never had a problem with that.

Chill out, sister.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 08:52 AM
link   

I’m old enough to remember when kids used to say, “eeny, meeny, miney, moe - catch a n**ger by the toe. If he hollers, make him pay, fifty dollars every day.”

Quote the assumption. I never heard that one from my southern roots. We said "catch a tiger by the toe; if he hollered let him go."

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

But it's not. At all. In any way. Pretty damn sad this is how you find kicks and giggles. There's a name for folks who derive pleasure from the pain of others... And a diagnosis.

but it is funny
its funny that this dude chose those words

and the reactions to are and will be funny as well

Why?

He's an older guy. My dad used to say it all the time, still does. He spent part of his childhood in Florida.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

i remember that too

i also remember sitting indian style on the floor

im sure thy dont call it that anymore

what about porch monkey?
there is another one

it means one thing and also means something else. since it means something else it is never to be uttered by a white person ever.

unless youre Randal.

the you can take it back

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Quote the assumption. I never heard that one from my southern roots. We said "catch a tiger by the toe; if he hollered let him go."

I had never heard hers either and I grew up in OKLAHOMA. .

link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Well, of course, because as we all know, them southerners are racist.

link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Why?

He's an older guy. My dad used to say it all the time, still does. He spent part of his childhood in Florida.

cause its 2018 and we live in a testy climate

thats why

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Ah, so you are laughing at someone else's misfortune.

He spoke the way people his age would speak. And as others have pointed out, cotton picking is something everyone would do. It's a condition of poverty as much as condition of race. Poverty in the deep south is hardly confined to black folks.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 08:59 AM
link   

no
laughing cause he is too stupid to realize that people are going to take that term a certain way in 2018

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 09:00 AM
link   

He spoke the way people his age would speak. And as others have pointed out, cotton picking is something everyone would do. It's a condition of poverty as much as condition of race. Poverty in the deep south is hardly confined to black folks.

Yep. he probably calls kids "whipper snappers"

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

and as i have pointed out words and terms mean more than 1 thing

link   

no
laughing cause he is too stupid to realize that people are going to take that term a certain way in 2018

Are people taking it the wrong way or is the MSM trying to make people take it the wrong way?

link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
It just seems crazy to me with the race relations thing in the US.
In Britain we gave up the race divide back in the 80's, our gangs are mixed race and white supremacists have only the internet to chat with each other because society scorns them now.
You should start by calling people just 'American' instead of the stupid 'African American' thing, my mate is black and she is as British as me, not African British, just British.

this country is weird man

i mean we are only like a million years removed from slavery so people are still sensative

this is an affirmative action country dude.
you cant say # here

its funny cause it should not be a big deal but it is a big deal because even though that phrase kind of officially means a thing it also means another thing.

ever heard the word niggardly?

means stingy or not generous

but go ahead and say that # around here and see what you get

cryin and fighting

I guess it is probably a case of catching up with the rest of the world seeing as black people were still officially treated like # in the US up until the 60's. I always find that hard to imagine when I read about it.
Different buses and toilets, seems crazy to me.
I remember people being racist in 70's Britain but we've moved on from then, most folk are colour blind these days.

EDIT
I'm sure I learned of the 'cotton pickin' phrase from Tom & Jerry cartoons when I was a kid, I just assumed it was like a pretend swear word meaning difficult or bad or whatever.
edit on 4-11-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

no

Are people taking it the wrong way or is the MSM trying to make people take it the wrong way?

dont know

i am taking it in the way that people will take it the wrong way

and its funny for that very reason

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

en.m.wikipedia.org...

Lots of versions, including the “n-word” version.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Ha..I could go on an epic tourettes episode right now that would make TST proud. Better not though.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

most folk are colour blind these days.

Don't let the media fool you. They are the only ones pushing racism in America, and it is all for a political outcome.

Everyone I know is color blind, people I know are judged on their character. And there are good people of all colors as well as assholes of all colors.

People need to ignore the propaganda spewed by the media.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join