It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida Governor race is cotton pickin important

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 08:17 AM
link   
hahahahahahahah

yeah i know. its not racist. it is a common phrase. when we were kids blah blah

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue used the racist phrase while campaigning for Ron DeSantis, whose opponent could be Florida’s first black governor.

“Public policy matters. Leadership matters,” Perdue can be heard saying. “And that is why this election is so cotton-pickin’ important to the state of Florida. I hope you all don’t mess it up.”

Merrian-Webster’s defines “cotton-picking” as another way of saying “damned,” but the phrase evokes race and is tied to cotton plantations in southern states where African slaves were forced to work.

David Bossie, a former campaign manager for Donald Trump, was temporarily suspended from his role as a Fox News contributor after using the phrase in June. On air, Bossie told Joel Payne, a black Democratic strategist, that he was “out of his cotton-picking mind.”

theyre going to monkey up this cotton pickin election.

just thought it was funny

+10 more 
posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

You have to just not be from the south to think that's racist. It's a poor thing not a racist thing, it's a hard work thing not a racist thing. My mom, papaw and mamaw and aunt all picked cotton when my mom was little. They aren't black. It was hard work and hurt to do it,so cotton picking, means damned or tough or hard.

All this everything is racist is getting ridiculous.

Jaden
edit on 4-11-2018 by Masterjaden because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 08:24 AM
link   
People of all colors still pick cotton.

They are literally trying to make everything racist. What a joke.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 08:28 AM
link   
The US is getting ridiculous with the 'everything is racist' thing, y'all seem like a backwards divided nation and need to grow up.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Masterjaden

i grew up in FLorida

not a term we threw around...

there is a reason for that

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle!

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I’m old enough to remember when kids used to say, “eeny, meeny, miney, moe - catch a n**ger by the toe. If he hollers, make him pay, fifty dollars every day.”

Probably a Southern thang. I don’t think too many people say that any more.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
The US is getting ridiculous with the 'everything is racist' thing, y'all seem like a backwards divided nation and need to grow up.

hey i think dude should be allowed to say it.
i also think its funny

its funny cause there is ole merriam webster type meaning like what the above mentioned.
its a poor thing

then there is the meaning down here in reality

a word or phrase can mean more than 1 thing

in todays climate if youre on TV campaigning for a guy running against possibly the first black governor then you probably shouldnt use the term.

thats the reality of it

and its hilarious that he did

just like the dont monkey it up phrase

there is a meaning
and then the other meaning

this is a fact

words and phrases mean more than 1 thing. and out of all the words and all the phrases thats the best he had.

couldnt say very important
had to say cotton pickin

just like the monkey it up

couldnt say mess it up
had to say monkey it up

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 08:34 AM
link   

You sure do read a lot of Huffingtonpost, most of your threads are linked to them.

I am not surprised the Huff is pushing racism, its all the progressives have.

We know, anyone who supports Trump is...

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

i do remember

whats the good word? thunderbid
who drinks the most? colored folks

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

yes i do

and your beloved fox news took a reaction to the term

David Bossie, a former campaign manager for Donald Trump, was temporarily suspended from his role as a Fox News contributor after using the phrase in June. On air, Bossie told Joel Payne, a black Democratic strategist, that he was “out of his cotton-picking mind.”

+4 more 
posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
I’m old enough to remember when kids used to say, “eeny, meeny, miney, moe - catch a n**ger by the toe. If he hollers, make him pay, fifty dollars every day.”

No we said, "Eeny, meeny, miny, moe, catch a tiger by his toe. If he hollers, make him pay fifty dollars every day." Now because of people like you, no one can say it anymore as a fun way to pick someone out.

Thanks for nothing. Did you ever stop and think that maybe you're part of the problem when you don't let those things change and keep reminding us where they all come from?

It's about as much fun as learning that London Bridge came from the Black Death. Sometimes, things should be allowed to change.
edit on 4-11-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   

hahahahahahahah...

just thought it was funny

And you just had to stir the pot... Because its funny... hahahahaha.

But it's not. At all. In any way. Pretty damn sad this is how you find kicks and giggles. There's a name for folks who derive pleasure from the pain of others... And a diagnosis.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   
It just seems crazy to me with the race relations thing in the US.
In Britain we gave up the race divide back in the 80's, our gangs are mixed race and white supremacists have only the internet to chat with each other because society scorns them now.
You should start by calling people just 'American' instead of the stupid 'African American' thing, my mate is black and she is as British as me, not African British, just British.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

What????

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
a reply to: stosh64

yes i do

and your beloved fox news took a reaction to the term

I cut the cord a over year ago, no regrets. Only news I watch is local.
But thanks for packing me in your little box.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Man, people are really getting triggered in this thread. Not sure why...

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

No we said, "Eeny, meeny, miny, moe, catch a tiger by his toe. If he hollers, make him pay fifty dollars every day." Now because of people like you, no one can say it anymore as a fun way to pick someone out.

Thanks for nothing. Did you ever stop and think that maybe you're part of the problem when you don't let those things change and keep reminding us where they all come from?

It's about as much fun as learning that London Bridge came from the Black Death. Sometimes, things should be allowed to change.

So, you’re okay with removing statues that glorified people who fought to retain slaves, because sometimes, we need to forget bad history. Good to know.

link   

a reply to: ketsuko

What????

I told you what rhyme we used to say as kids. If you guys used to say the "n" word when you did it, that's on you.

But we never did, however, because someone somewhere used the "n" word when they said "Eeny, meeny," they whole thing is now considered racist to use.

And you go around bringing this up, so I said. Thanks for nothing. That's a part of our childhood that had no racial connotation whatsoever spoiled because we never said anything racial at all that you and people like you have ruined for us. Sort of like sitting Indian style is. No one can do that anymore because it's "insensitive" so no one does it. Everyone has their own cutesy name for what used to be universal.

It's like spending your childhood playing London Bridge is falling down and later on learning you were singing a rhyme and playing a game about people dying of the Black Death.
edit on 4-11-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

link   

Man, people are really getting triggered in this thread. Not sure why...

Why not quote the people you deem to be 'triggered' then? We can discuss their specific points then.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join