It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freaks and Geeks Tv show

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 03:39 AM
link   
I started watching this show today. "Freaks and Geeks" so far it is awesome and loving it very much

But wanted to ask, how close to real US culture it is, from back into 70s/80s and so?

I can't believe James Franco was on that show lmao, so cool

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I must still check it out (never heard of it), but that dude in the center back row looks just like a teenage John Travolta.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

Thats Seth rogan...
The striped shirt kid is sweets from bones..
And the green jacket girl is Velma from scooby doo and lots of other stuff.
I wanna say James Franco is in there too but I don't really remember..

The show was very good and was canceled to soon.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: BoneSay

Awesome show and yes, it's very real life. Based upon the creators life in Michigan, where it's set. Season two they were all supposed to go to Detroit where a race riot happened at the time. Set two years before I went into high school and there's so much in there I can relate to. I really was sort of a cross between Seth Rogan's smart ass(he corrects Lindsay when she says the song is called Teenage Wasteland LOL) and Jason Segal's bumbling drummer character. Love that first scene where he's all bummed that John Bonham has died and his speech about the drums is quite cool. Also love the Rush references in the show because, well, Rush.

Stupid network exec went to private school and didn't get the show so he cancelled it and cost us a very good show. If you are really curious then pick up the one season on dvd as there's commentaries for each episode that explain it all.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 10:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheSpanishArcher

Awesome show and yes, it's very real life. Based upon the creators life in Michigan, where it's set. Season two they were all supposed to go to Detroit where a race riot happened at the time. Set two years before I went into high school and there's so much in there I can relate to. I really was sort of a cross between Seth Rogan's smart ass(he corrects Lindsay when she says the song is called Teenage Wasteland LOL) and Jason Segal's bumbling drummer character. Love that first scene where he's all bummed that John Bonham has died and his speech about the drums is quite cool. Also love the Rush references in the show because, well, Rush.

Stupid network exec went to private school and didn't get the show so he cancelled it and cost us a very good show. If you are really curious then pick up the one season on dvd as there's commentaries for each episode that explain it all.

Thanks i will look for the Dvd. Found the show very cool and honest, i always had this feeling school was like that back then but felt like maybe it was just like when you look back and remember things being better than they actually were
Not sure if i explain well this

I had seen another movie about high school named "Dazed and Confused" and it was cool but i kind of felt it a bit forced, this show is more natural i think

I do have heard from other people about their high school years and it always is more or less like this so i'm happy to know it is close to reality, because i always wondered and wanted to know for sure

Netflix has revived other shows but i guess this is not something they would pick up, they already made a kind of similar show but it wasn't this good.

There's always someone that doesn't have a clue and hates stuff they can't get that ruins things for the rest of us :/
edit on 4-11-2018 by BoneSay because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 10:40 PM
link   

This one, I dare say, will never be revived as it was done around 2000 so the actors are way too old and I doubt the creator would want to get involved after so long and without him it's moot.

The ending episode is so cool. I so wish that second season had happened because I'd love to know what happened that summer. Plus, what the Deadhead girl says to Lindsay in the cafeteria is priceless for music fans such as myself.

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 04:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheSpanishArcher

This one, I dare say, will never be revived as it was done around 2000 so the actors are way too old and I doubt the creator would want to get involved after so long and without him it's moot.

The ending episode is so cool. I so wish that second season had happened because I'd love to know what happened that summer. Plus, what the Deadhead girl says to Lindsay in the cafeteria is priceless for music fans such as myself.

i was thinking of like a reboot? But yeah probably would just mess it up and no need, i have not seen all episodes yet but i will soon this week. Girl in the army jacket i can identify for sure lol

Drummer guy is smart and knows the real deal, he has a big soul and stuff, eyes on the future i think

The kids are funny, i am short sighted but don't identify much with that so far. More with the James Franco character and all the family issues

edit on 5-11-2018 by BoneSay because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 04:36 PM
link   

One of the best shows ever!

Judd Apatow was the writer/producer. He did stand up comedy so has an eye for the specific. He nailed it on this show! For me it a condensed version of several different people but the setting/era is pretty much how I remember it.

I had a Steven Martin, "Best fishes," poster up in my room! All the wood grain is spot on. The parents worrying about "hanging out with bad influences" and the whole "your body is a temple/special present" was pretty much what I remember of my version of "The Talk." It was very funny since I grew with a hippy mother and would go to nude beaches and stuff. I actually knew what sex was and had seen naked women (not no NatGeo pics!) so it was very surreal having The Talk.

I like the characters and wish they could have had another season to follow them! The "Rush" drumming had me cracking up because that is kind of what I did except played guitar (crank up the stereo to drown out the crappy playing I was doing. I guess now a days they would say, "fake it, till you make it" but it did make me work out my fingers). Then when the Jason Segel character hears Gene Krupa it was even more funny as Neal Peart had a conversion to jazz in real life!

I think all the kids went on to be known in other shows but it is this one that I like the most!

Glad you have exquisite taste! Glad you are enjoying the too short lived show!

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Yes, Apatow was what you said but Paul Feig really was the main guy. Creator and co-producer and he's the guy who lived in Michigan at that time and it's loosely based on his life(probably very loosely but it's been a while since I listened to the commentaries) as some of the instances, like Sam's friend Neil looking for his father's car when he thinks something is up was based upon someone else's experience who worked on the show. It's a amalgam of stories not unlike most shows unless you want to talk about the Goldberg's which is totally based upon the creators life(and he has the video from BITD to prove it).

Yeah, I'm nitpicking, I get it, but just wanted to set that straight, I also thought Apatow was the main guy then I heard the commentaries.

Since it's the Titans vs. Cowgirls tonight I do think I'm a gonna throw this in tonight. Been a while.

BTW, one of the greatest lines was "I've never hated Alice Cooper as much as I do right now". Classic, after that song the counselor sings them.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

Since this stuff sits around, it is alright to correct a statement for clarity's sake. Seeing how Apatow grew up in NJ and the show is very mid-west I totally believe you (I haven't watched/listened to the commentary. Might be a good thing to catch up on over the Holidays!)

Freaks and Geeks is an American teen comedy-drama television series created by Paul Feig and executive-produced by Judd Apatow that aired on NBC during the 1999–2000 television season.

Wikipedia.

I should of just looked it up. Writing from off the top of my head. Oh well.

I also like when James Franco's character tries selling a sob story and Lindsay starts laughing with a gob of spit. That always make me laugh!

'Twas AC's 18.

"I'm a boy and I'm a man..."

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

"Or a woman".

Alice plays that clip on his radio show every weekend and I still love it every time I hear it.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 01:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

Since this stuff sits around, it is alright to correct a statement for clarity's sake. Seeing how Apatow grew up in NJ and the show is very mid-west I totally believe you (I haven't watched/listened to the commentary. Might be a good thing to catch up on over the Holidays!)

Freaks and Geeks is an American teen comedy-drama television series created by Paul Feig and executive-produced by Judd Apatow that aired on NBC during the 1999–2000 television season.

Wikipedia.

I should of just looked it up. Writing from off the top of my head. Oh well.

I also like when James Franco's character tries selling a sob story and Lindsay starts laughing with a gob of spit. That always make me laugh!

'Twas AC's 18.

"I'm a boy and I'm a man..."

The sob story is one of the best things i have ever seen lmfao, i will never forget the second time he says it on the principal's office lmfao

Like the best laugh scene of the show, never expected that but it was kind of how he really felt right? Just kind of like taking advantage of it to use people around

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Went back and watched it all, commentaries and deleted scenes. Very fascinating the commentaries are. One is done by NBC execs who were totally behind the show but it still got cancelled. Great insight into what they were trying to achieve with this series.

Thanks OP for getting me to watch this again. Love this show to death.

top topics

join