It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People who don't follow politics but vote anyway - thoughts about them

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 01:14 AM
link   
So I know some people (close friends or family) that whenever I try to talk to them about anything political they say that they don't follow politics or watch/read the news and I can say I've never seen them do so. I know they will agree with me on topics just so they don't have to discuss anything. During the last election they agreed that the country was heading in a horrible direction under Obama and everything had gotten worse under him and that they agreed with almost everything in Trump's campaign (from mild support to full support of policies). But when it came time to vote, most of these people voted for Hillary.

What I don't understand is why these people vote if they have such hatred for politics. They don't even care to follow supreme court nominations or even understand why they are important. I would think that they say they don't follow it b/c they don't want to have a conversation, but that isn't the case. They are just to selfish and lazy to try to figure out what is happening, who is lying and what candidate would be best for them.

I know that these people come from a family that were solid democrats from the 50's to 80's (their parents) so maybe it is just continuing tradition. I just have to say that I hold these people in the highest contempt when they vote yet don't understand the reasons for doing so, especially when they are voting against the interests of large/majority parts of their family - it seems like they do it out of malice and as passive aggressive actions.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 01:26 AM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

You cannot understand low IQ because you are not low IQ.
There are times we all need to understand what people believe and/or have learned, is not to the positive.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 01:28 AM
link   

In my district, it appears that some people only vote because they get a little "I Voted!" sticker to wear on their shirt, and a Tootsie Roll treat.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Actually, there are times I wish I could be more like them.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I was wondering if they lie about their politics so they don't have to discuss anything, they say they support Trump's policies while they actively hate them, but they put on a front of conservative support (it is a conservative area).

These same people denied any political bias in any News organisation (except Fox - that was "totally right wing propaganda") up until the 2016 election where they said there was a SLIGHT bias towards liberal politics. I wondered how people who considered themselves smart to be this blind or if they were being out right manipulative and deceitful.

These same people are the type to install huge "green energy" systems (geothermal, solar, energy efficient, upgrades to hybrid cars w/ battery packs) all b/c of huge gov rebates, incentives & tax credits. Yet they say they support Trump but voted for Hillary?

What would you guys think if you heard and saw these things and they voted the way they did?

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Did You Ever ask them Why they Vote ? Seems like a Reasonable Question , no ?

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 01:55 AM
link   

I think people that dont make politics part of their life is the people you want to vote. Too many have made politics such a large part of their lives that they are crying in the streets.

To me politics needs to stay out of as much of my life as possible. I don't want politics while I'm watching sports or movies or even TV. I don't want to talk politics while at a bar and i don't want others to waste my time trying to convince me why i should care what they think about politics .

So yes this is the perfect person to vote

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 03:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme

You cannot understand low IQ because you are not low IQ.
There are times we all need to understand what people believe and/or have learned, is not to the positive.

I voted but not because I got straight A's and gold stars.

Its not always low IQ, what an arrogant broad brush to paint with. Especially on a conspiracy site where many think and bring evidence that its all controlled and manipulated and your vote dont mean jack squat, especially in national elections. Throw in the BS rhetoric they use to get elected Change, Im with Her, MAGA. Its literally the charlatan shepherd spouting out platitudes, semi true accusations and even less true reasons to vote for them, all while the sheep mill around and baa baa. They pray to the populations baser instincts, there primal needs to be part of a clan and whip them into a self righteous fervor that makes the most their most faithful followers, eschew family, friends and personal responsibilities because some azzhat clown says people they dont even know are deplorable or unintelligent. When you know these politicians arent our most intelligent nor are they our best leaders because if they were they wouldnt be so divisive and would better at unifying us. Lets face it most of the points on either side that everybody is pointing out as critical to the future will get bargained, bartered and used to negotiate individual reps pork belly project behind the scenes in congress by your representative likely at the drop of a hat. Nope not voting is alot of things but being unintelligent isnt one of them.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Given the deceitful and manipulative nature of modern journalism -- and political coverage in particular -- in combination with the groupthink and herd mentalities inherent to partisanship, the actual value of "following politics" is rather dubious.

If anything, being knowledgeable about politics these days is about as relevant as being knowledgeable about the worlds of Harry Potter or The Lord of the Rings, because "politics" as portrayed in the media is, in its most fundamental essence, a grand fiction, a shared delusion cultivated and maintained as a tool of mass control.

But there's nothing new about that...

"The man who never looks into a newspaper is better informed than he who reads them, inasmuch as he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors."

-- Thomas Jefferson, to John Norvell, June 14, 1807

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 03:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: loam

They do seem happier dont they, lol I know I was happier when I didnt get a sticker... live and learn

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 03:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Majic
Given the deceitful and manipulative nature of modern journalism -- and political coverage in particular -- in combination with the groupthink and herd mentalities inherent to partisanship, the actual value of "following politics" is rather dubious.

If anything, being knowledgeable about politics these days is about as relevant as being knowledgeable about the worlds of Harry Potter or The Lord of the Rings, because "politics" as portrayed in the media is, in its most fundamental essence, a grand fiction, a shared delusion cultivated and maintained as a tool of mass control.

But there's nothing new about that...

"The man who never looks into a newspaper is better informed than he who reads them, inasmuch as he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors."

-- Thomas Jefferson, to John Norvell, June 14, 1807

What a eloquent post, must be early in the morning but hit me in the "feels". You use your fingers to type like Mozart composing a symphony on his piano. Bravo...

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 06:50 AM
link   
They might be better off

Because they will be voting, how’s my job, how’s my pay check, how safe is my neighborhood

If it’s good they vote for the status qua

They are not sitting there saying this is the best economy ever, it’s helping everyone the only reason to vote for a change is, the Orange man is bad.....

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Not wanting to discuss politics with you isn't necessarily the same as being uninterested in politics. Your friends and family may be uninterested, but they may also just not want to engage with you when you keep asking them about it. Which would explain what you're saying - that they sort of smile and nod and change the subject.

I for one don't want to bring the divisive nature of the current political climate to my grandmother's Thanksgiving table, and when that one person wants to know who everyone voted for (there's always one), I would imagine that we'll all smile and politely change the subject. We aren't uneducated or uninterested, but who I voted for isn't actually anyone else's business and many of us don't want to argue about it at a time when we should be enjoying time with friends and family.

Also, people vote for all kinds of different reasons. Many people are single issue voters. They couldn't care less what happens with healthcare because they have good insurance and enough money to not be concerned, but they feel very strongly about gun control one way or another, for example. We also live in a country where you're allowed to vote just to get the sticker, so I say cast your vote and let the rest be what it'll be. That's all you can really do.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

In my district, it appears that some people only vote because they get a little "I Voted!" sticker to wear on their shirt, and a Tootsie Roll treat.

We don't get a candy treat. Bummer.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   

I have always thought that in order to be able to vote you should have to pass a basic civics exam. It kills me that people that are stupid or clueless to politics or that pay no money in taxes get to vote.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof
So I know some people (close friends or family) that whenever I try to talk to them about anything political they say that they don't follow politics or watch/read the news and I can say I've never seen them do so. I know they will agree with me on topics just so they don't have to discuss anything. During the last election they agreed that the country was heading in a horrible direction under Obama and everything had gotten worse under him and that they agreed with almost everything in Trump's campaign (from mild support to full support of policies). But when it came time to vote, most of these people voted for Hillary.

What I don't understand is why these people vote if they have such hatred for politics. They don't even care to follow supreme court nominations or even understand why they are important. I would think that they say they don't follow it b/c they don't want to have a conversation, but that isn't the case. They are just to selfish and lazy to try to figure out what is happening, who is lying and what candidate would be best for them.

I know that these people come from a family that were solid democrats from the 50's to 80's (their parents) so maybe it is just continuing tradition. I just have to say that I hold these people in the highest contempt when they vote yet don't understand the reasons for doing so, especially when they are voting against the interests of large/majority parts of their family - it seems like they do it out of malice and as passive aggressive actions.

I've long supported making voting hard to do and tests... mainly because it is too important of a process to allow people who are too lazy or disinterested to educate themselves participate in.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: norhoc

I have always thought that in order to be able to vote you should have to pass a basic civics exam. It kills me that people that are stupid or clueless to politics or that pay no money in taxes get to vote.

Yup. I believe everyone should have to pass the civics test given to new immigrants when they become American citizens. The fact you have people who can't even name the three branches of government voting does not bode well for our system.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam

I hear ya. Ignorance must be bliss considering how much I follow politics. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to be ignorant to what the world is really like.

new topics

top topics

join