It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

And now, for something COMPLETELY different...FISH SAUCE!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   
The first time you smell it, it stinks! It smells awful, but you don't know what it is. Smells like a hering which was left in your couch on the front porch for a week. It's really bad.

Then, one time, you'll have this dish at an Asian restaurant where there's this ingredient you just can't put your finger on...and it's not a fish dish! A dish like let's say Phad Thai. Gee, you wonder, what is that flavor? Well, it's "fish sauce". It's one of those strange Asian foods which doesn't taste exactly like it smells. (Durian is another). Phad Thai is like the entrance food to Thai cooking, everybody know's it and that's what they order to be safe. In Asia (and Thailand) very few people have ever even heard of "Phad Thai", ..... or "orange chicken", or "Chop Suey", "Kung Pao Chicken", or any of those dishes. They're all of western culture descent.

Their dishes are things like "Noodles with roasted coconut milk, chicken, peanut sauce and nuoc mam. In China, they call it "yulu".

If you ever smelled it, you'd never eat it. If you ever ate it, you'd wonder what it was until you found it. Then you'd buy some and smell it and still turn your nose up to it...UNTIL you added it to one of your own dishes. Then you'd never be able to get enough of this fishy concoction.

The stuff is a secret ingredient is many Asian dishes, and no one knows it. If they did, they probably wouldn't eat many of them (especially SE Asian cuisine).

Personally, I LOVE the stuff, but then again; I've watched it being made...and it's 50,000 times more stinky then, but the resultant elixir, "fish sauce", is fantastic in things like green curry and Xao.

For some YMMV.

posted on Nov, 3 2018 @ 08:24 PM
link   
As a vegan, and Asian food lover, fish sauce has been my nemesis for awhile. Damn you hidden sauce!!

posted on Nov, 3 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Fish sauce has had a place in our refrigerator alongside the soy for a long time now.

Vietnamese-Style Chicken Meatballs

This is one of our new favorite recipes that uses fish sauce. We end up using ground turkey most of the time because it has both white and dark meat for more flavor, but otherwise, this is the most awesome recipe.

We also make Thai style spring rolls and use fish sauce in the filling.
edit on 3-11-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2018 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Fish sauce is good, and you can easily make it yourself.. it just takes a long time to ferment.

The one I like is a nice oyster sauce, though I'm not really sure how that is made besides the sugar part.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I don't like the fish sauce, I also do not like Worcestershire sauce. I like a good fish broth, I just made a big pot of kala Mojaka.

I am not a fan of anything rotted. I know that real soy sauce is aged, but I just use a little of that occasionally and only like kikkomens or other ones made using the old process. Hydrolyzed soy soy sauces are not on my shopping list.

I ate that rotted herring back when I was young, my father used to buy it in one gallon tubs and I would eat it but very much disliked it.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Psst don´t tell the Thai but I´ve germanized their sataya peanutsauce into local dishes.

For years I´ve been searching for that special peanut sauce that I always got at my favorite chinese restaurant here. Until they closed shop. Well, turns out it wasn´t an "original Chinese" recipt from the beginning but Thai! Ha-ha!

When I found it was like holding a grail. Ectstatic music emerging, warm bright rays emanating from around the bowl of sauce dispersing clouds, promising a satisfied belly and tongue.

I dislike fishsauce (fish in general) but this is where I make an exception. It goes very well with sticky basmati rice and well, basically everything else if you like peanuts. If you make it thinner you can marinade meat in it (in sataya peanut sauce, not fish-sauce..)

très savoureux!
edit on 4-11-2018 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 04:20 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

You refrigerate your soy and fish sauce?

I don't. Never have.

Is that wrong?

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I keep this in my pantry.
Along with this other magic ingredient called spicy chili crisps. crispy flakes of chili and onion in a smokey scented oil that just adds this mmmmmmmness to a dish.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 07:48 AM
link   

I refrigerate soy sauce because the bottle says to refrigerate after opening but I do not do refrigerate the fish sauce.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

I keep this in my pantry.
Along with this other magic ingredient called spicy chili crisps. crispy flakes of chili and onion in a smokey scented oil that just adds this mmmmmmmness to a dish.

I learned a new word! ..."Mmmmmmmness"

I like it, very fitting!

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

I've never really refrigerated either. Never had any problems.

Never had any funkyness in my soy.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 07:58 AM
link   

That stuff makes you salivate as soon as you open the jar.
The official word for mmmmmmmmness is umami. One son in the restaurant business. LOL
jet.com...:ggl:jd_cons_gen_grocery_a3:grocery_pantry_spices_se asonings_a3:na
LA_786070974_46630714688_pla-303545359578_c:na:na:na:2PLA15&code=PLA15&pid=kenshoo_int&c=786070974&is_retargeting=true&clickid=70b9629 c-fbf8-4736-9fde-5e0069881d66&kclid=70b9629c-fbf8-4736-9fde-5e0069881d66&gclid=CjwKCAjwsfreBRB9EiwAikSUHQa3pW-HjLKtxP03s_0EAPgzUqpNAEfpPSRfmmW-nCSuFM- 7tQtSGxoCKHcQAvD_BwE

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 08:01 AM
link   

One would think all that sodium would do the trick. I wouldnt think you would have any issues... I just go by the label because I have people in my house who are too picky LOL and will start throwing stuff away.

In my italian household when I was growing up we kept the Parmesan cheese in the cupboard not the fridge but now I keep it in the fridge.
edit on 1142018 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 08:02 AM
link   

OHhhh! I've used that stuff a lot!

I guess I never knew what it was called. Most times I pick it up at the Chinese market and it's all in Vietnamese or Chinese.

I like the super-flaming-hot kind. When we were over in Asia we just called it "chili sauce" or the other variety, "garlic chili sauce".

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Yeah I get it at the asian market. A wonderful junk store filled with curiosities and yummyness. There are some things that are just yuck but even that is an adventure.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

The official word for mmmmmmmmness is umami.

Ahhh, I like your word a LOT better!!

"Umami" is the most over-used word in history! Can't stand that word! Makes me want to PHART every time I hear it, and ask the person who said it if they've got some "umami" goin' on now!

ETA - I don't know why, but every time I hear that word I feel like (in addition to pharting) screaming out..."HOUSEWIVES OF TOLEDO!!!"

edit on 11/4/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Ever try any of their different kinds of tuna?

I love the Asian market! We've got a big one here called "H-Mart". They've got so much stuff in that place it's astonishing!
Stuff I never even knew existed. I'm sure about 80% of the stuff is just awful for you, healthwise, but some of it is just over the top, good!

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: ketsuko

You refrigerate your soy and fish sauce?

I don't. Never have.

Is that wrong?

Dunno, but I could have sworn I saw refrigerate after opening on a bottle once so it just started happening. I'm probably wrong, but it doesn't seem to hurt it at all. Besides, we have a cabinet so full on vinegars and oils there wouldn't be room for it and it would get lost.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I read somewhere that the Romans had a fermented fish sauce; 'Liquamen' or something.
apparently one of their foundation ingredients.

Worcestershire Sauce supposedly came from India, but I saw an internet rumor that it's actually Liquamen, or something like it, and its been made in the British Isles all these years, under the radar as it were.

try adding some smoked bonita flakes to your soup sometimes. mmmmmmmmm.
I found some at a local Asian grocery.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

They had two. I had always heard of garum which was considered to be more peasanty, and yours prompted me to look it up. Lo and hehold there were two: garum and liquamen. Apparently, they were pretty similar and sometimes considered synonymous.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join