It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Single Exposure to the American Flag Shifts Support Toward Republicanism

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   
This is actually an old study which has been recently mentioned and I thought it was definitely a good time to inform everyone about it before the mid-terms. The premise is that exposure to the image of the US flag can shock the commie right out of some people temporarily and the treatment can last up to 8 months!

All joking aside, I actually find this quite interesting as I had not seen this before.

A Single Exposure to the American Flag Shifts Support Toward Republicanism up to 8 Months Later

Seeing an American flag can shift voters towards Republicanism

journals.sagepub.com...

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

www.researchgate.net...

labconscious.huji.ac.il...

We report that a brief exposure to the American flag led to a shift toward Republican beliefs, attitudes, and voting behavior among both Republican and Democratic participants, despite their overwhelming belief that exposure to the flag would not influence their behavior.

Get your Vitamin P (Patriotism) right here!

edit on 3-11-2018 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

The flag is the symbol of our nation.

So appreciating the flag might be "nationalism" and as well all are aware, pride in ones country is racist and Nazi according to the insane left.

edit on 3-11-2018 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2018 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Unless they could find a way to prevent their sample from experiencing multiple "exposures" over that period, their conclusions are not genuinely based on "only one exposure" indivduals. That's the flaw in the experiment.

posted on Nov, 3 2018 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Makes sense to me, the flag is a symbol of everything we have done right, a symbol of the untapped potential still to come, and a memorial of all the men and women that have given up their lives in pursuit of that perfect future.

Least that what it means to me, and no I dont think we havent done things wrong or badly because we have and will again, but if your focus is on everything wrong how can you find enjoyment in your life today.

posted on Nov, 3 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
Makes sense to me, the flag is a symbol of everything we have done right, a symbol of the untapped potential still to come, and a memorial of all the men and women that have given up their lives in pursuit of that perfect future.

Least that what it means to me, and no I dont think we havent done things wrong or badly because we have and will again, but if your focus is on everything wrong how can you find enjoyment in your life today.
Well said 🤩

posted on Nov, 3 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   

This explains exactly what you are saying.

edit on 3-11-2018 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

The premise is that exposure to the image of the US flag can shock the commie right out of some people temporarily and the treatment can last up to 8 months!

:

Given that you guys fly your flag everywhere, yards, roofs, windows,, schools, government buildings, military buildings, libraries and then there's bumper stickers, caps, shirts, patches, jumpers etc. Surely every American sees an American flag multiple times in an 8 month period,, wouldn't that make everyone Republican all the time?

I smell $hite....

posted on Nov, 3 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   
OR

It is a perfect example of brainwashing. Do not people of other nations ''kneejerk'' to the symbol of their nations?
Did not the troops of the Roman Empire rally to their flag as well?
How about the Crusaders, Didn't they find strength in their flags as they marched to battle?

posted on Nov, 3 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   

That was kinda beautiful, friend. It's also exactly how I feel. I'm thankful and proud EVERY time I see the Old Girl. Long may she fly.

link   

My question is, are there that many people, let alone 'commies', that are so weak-minded in their political beliefs that the image of the flag would make them flip?

Seems rather odd

Nonetheless, luv that flag!!!

link   
And another study on the NIH website says that exposure to the flag merely entrenches people more than they already were.

It's fun when we can see how one can find a study to support practically any position.

posted on Nov, 3 2018 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro

originally posted by: infolurker

The premise is that exposure to the image of the US flag can shock the commie right out of some people temporarily and the treatment can last up to 8 months!

:

Given that you guys fly your flag everywhere, yards, roofs, windows,, schools, government buildings, military buildings, libraries and then there's bumper stickers, caps, shirts, patches, jumpers etc. Surely every American sees an American flag multiple times in an 8 month period,, wouldn't that make everyone Republican all the time?

I smell $hite....

I suggest you check your shoes, Hoss. It ain't coming from over here.

posted on Nov, 3 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro

Remember the coat lapel flags after 9-11? Everyone had to wear one in their lapels or on their blouses to prove you were a patriotic American. Yeah, more political correctness from the right. Prove you are American by sporting this button on your clothes.

posted on Nov, 3 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Thankfully kids are forced to stand and pledge allegiance to it when they're young and impressionable and don't know any better. That's not brainwashing or indoctrination, it's patriotism!

posted on Nov, 3 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   

S+F.

Mostly because "shock the 'commie' right out of them" is a GREAT line. Pithy and to the point. Made me smile.

posted on Nov, 3 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   
This certainly explains why certain people hate the flag so much.

posted on Nov, 3 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro

I think it has something to do with purposefully exposing yourself to it for the purpose of seeing if it will effect you. Seeing it "accidentally" for a second or seeing it in the neighbors yard every day isnt the same as being in a "laboratory"/experimental setting where "science" is being "done" and being exposed to it by scientists.

posted on Nov, 3 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I'm curious where does that still happen?

I am going to be 46 in a few weeks and that was thrown out in the area I grew up in when I was still in elementary school...

posted on Nov, 3 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   

The irony being that only in the US can someone profit from the sale of US flags to those folks who wish to purchase same for ritual burnings.

Old Glory triggers folks into action, of that there is no doubt.

You don't even have to be an American either - lots of youtube videos of folks from a particular religious slant / political stance burning the US flag.

God.Bless.America

Anyone remember when HomerNC did the upside down US flag thread? That was pretty awesome at the time.

posted on Nov, 3 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Save America and vote Republican?

Slim pickens coz it's either coke or pepsi.

And the new generation is about as trustful as Michael Jackson passing out Jesus juice.

I feel nothing when I see the flag anymore.

I'm effing disgusted with my country.

It's government, and it's people.

But that's just me.

<<   2  3 >>

join