It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7 most powerful and dangerous pistols of all time

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
A Walther PP22 is my handgun of choice.
Cute little guy. Fits right in my pocket.
I aim for the nuts if I have to use it.

Rounds-Hollow points in all
Glock 30, Gen 3, 45-ACP 45 cal, 10+1 rounds, dbl.stack

Taurus Millenium or PT 709-9mm, 7+1 rounds

Smith and Wesson, 357 Magnum, 6 rounds

*Slim frames are great for everyday....small frame, low profile when concealed... I can toss the slim 9 in my pocket just like a cassette tape or a little bigger size....the 9mm in a pinch, in my pocket...

On every weekend, and out of town times, the 45 ACP is my concealed choice.

Most powerful is my 45 ..then the 357mag....back and forth

2 are semi-automatics, the S.W., a revolver
edit on 2-11-2018 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2018 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: gimcrackery

I believe that the fact of the matter is, that some of these weapons are dangerous to the user, whether that user is legitimately the owner or in legal possession of the firearm, or illegally in possession of, or enacting an illegal use of said firearm.

If you watched the video fully, you will note that even the least of the guns featured has been known to break the odd wrist, especially when fired by less experienced users. The most powerful of the guns featured, could even take experienced people by some significant surprise. The danger posed by these things therefore, is not limited to when they are in the hands of someone who is operating them illegally, which is sort of the point of the video.

Of course, a more sensibly chambered pistol is no threat to anyone, as long as the user is at least paying attention to what they are doing, or experienced in their use. But the weapons featured in that video, have a health and safety risk attached to them whether they are in the hands of criminals or legitimate users.

posted on Nov, 3 2018 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
If you watched the video fully, you will note that even the least of the guns featured has been known to break the odd wrist, especially when fired by less experienced users.

I have the 'least' one on the list and I let some jacknugget cop use it once at the range, he held it so close to his face, because he wanted to show off and hit the target at 25 yards, that the slide came back and sliced his forehead open.

It was glorious.

posted on Nov, 3 2018 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I wouldn't want a gun that could break my wrist. And like someone else mentioned by the time you overcome the recoil of the larger pistol a 9mm has fired 5 well placed shots.

I guess these big pistols are cool just for the sake of building them. You couldn't give me the pistol that it takes 2 people to carry. Its pretty much useless.

posted on Nov, 3 2018 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: BomSquad

WWI was started with a .380 and a desire for a sandwich.

posted on Nov, 3 2018 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Indeed. It says something about the ingenuity and the idiocy of the human condition, and the power of the weapons in that video, that the least of them is more than capable of taking a police officer, someone who carries a firearm for their work, by surprise in that fashion, injuring them no less!

Honestly... in that instance, the weapon was no where near as potentially dangerous as the person holding it

posted on Nov, 3 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   
The most dangerous pistol I remember was a Rossi .38 special. My friend that owned it was target shooting and the cylinder blew to pieces with factory loads. As to the big guns being slow, most are only good for hunting so that’s not a issue to me. Defense use a gun you can shoot accurately that’s reliable is more important than power as long as it’s sufficiently powerful to do the job

posted on Nov, 3 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I have fired some of the weapons shown in the video and it's over dramatized. If you want a close in self defense gun with tremendous power use a short barrel shotgun with slugs. My best,

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   
the joke with a 50 bmg pistol is only about 1/4 of the powder burns in the barrel.

this is why it can still be shot. and why it has a massive fireball if fired in the dark.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Luna's Howl and Not Forgotten, now those are some deadly handcannons.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

I agree, no shooting kitties
As for calibre, it's basically inches, so 95 calibre is .95 of one inch..pretty damn big, more about dick measuring than even remotely practical.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Duh! Calibre is just inch? Thanks, now I get it! 9mm was clear to me but 22, 38, 357 and 50 cal were a mystery. Now I know how wide a 44 magnum is.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   

NP

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: toms54

I'm not sure if any of those "earschplittenloudenboomer" pistols has a practical use. Even the smallest would be hard to conceal.

I just saw a video yesterday on Fox news. It was about new rifles the military is developing. They all have a larger, more powerful cartridge designed to defeat improved body armor they keep coming up with. Now I'm wondering if they will go with a heavier handgun also.

If you ever go hunt deer in a brushy area, a high powered revolver is a great way to do it. It gives you both hands free to split the brush and you carry it openly on your hip read to use.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   
the " most dangerous sidearm " was reputedly one of the japanese WWII era semi-auto pistols .

not because of cartidge power or round specs

it was dangerous - because - it just discharged at the slightest provocation

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Well, if you have a rogue elephant in your back yard, maybe the noise would scare him away??

I can't even imagine owning one for any other reason than a conversation starter in my gun cabinet...since here in Washington anything less could earn me jail time...if some miscreant were to hurt someone with it--or themselves, if they twist it just right.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Forgot one on the list.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trucker1
I wouldn't want a gun that could break my wrist. And like someone else mentioned by the time you overcome the recoil of the larger pistol a 9mm has fired 5 well placed shots.

I guess these big pistols are cool just for the sake of building them. You couldn't give me the pistol that it takes 2 people to carry. Its pretty much useless.

The difference is the impact not how many rounds you need to hit them with. For example the 500 magnum can shoot through a half inch of steel. There is no body armor that can protect you from this round. So you cant shoot as fast but what you hit will not be getting up.

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

Wrongity wrong....

Standard 3a would actually most likely stop 500 magnum. And 50 bmg doesn't do a half inch of steel so.... Yeah.

The difference between bmg and 500 is just so massively huge that anyone who thinks a 500 mag is going to outperform bmg is either high or doesn't know what they're talking about.

Granted, I'm not volunteering to wear 3a soft armor and let someone shoot me with one, because that's how ruptured spleens and other badness happen.

It would hurt you sure, likely really badly, but it'd be from behind armor backface deformation not an actual penetration.

These handguns are plenty powerful enough in their own right without having to make silly false claims like those though.

Hint: armor penetration isn't actually about total joules of impact energy whether we're talking steel or 20+ layers of your favorite ballistic fabric.

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I'd be much more worried about the proficiency of the shooter than I would the firearm.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join