It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

humanium metal - a noble idea thats ripe for abuse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   
source

obligitory summary :

this is a swedish initiative to melt down " illegal firearms " and offer the resultant metal back to the market as " hamanium metal " branded ingots [ each ingot has a serial number and authetication cert ] intended to be used for various manufactured goods - the ingots will be sold at a premium price - above the market value of comparable spec steels - with part of the levy pumped back into anti war / anti crime charity endeavours

ok - as my title indicates - this is an oped peice - that has got me very suspicious - the above is the factual summary

before i goes any further - i am 100% supportive of the " swords to ploughshares " logic behind the initative

its just that i is a cynical besturd - and see that its " downstream implimentation " - ie the sale and distribution of " humanium metal " ingots - is just screaming " scam it "

the first thing i thought when reading this - was quality control // uniformity

now to be fair - the website does state that each batch will have certificates of mechanical properties and composition

different firearms - are made from widley varying alloys - and it gets worse inside an individual weapon [ carbon , chromium , nickel , vanadium , etc etc etc - have huge variations - in the different componets of an complex autoumatic weapon

but this is just a minor concern - and the " look out " for anyone who has ideas of making a product line from " humanium metal " - the spec of your core stock = random

but the real eyeopener = price - please sit down

$2700 USD / ingot - from the pics of ingots in peoples hands - i estimate 1kg - no more than 2 kg at a stretch

i told you to sit down

WTF ???????????? - i cannot actually find a steel alloy that comes close to this price

i stumbled upon this via another link - that made the claim " humanium metal = most valuable in world "

FFS - its just steel at the end of the day - random steel at that

its not even close to most valuable metal either

most over priced maybee

now this is where the scam potential starts - selling random steel alloys at 2700 / kg - even with the charity blow back smacks of scam

but the potential for abuse = astronomical

for all but the mmost exotic steel alloys - you are looking at prices far less than 2700 / ton

counterfeilt " humanium metal ingots " - has got to be one of the easiest scams going - with a HUGE mark-up

ATS - your opinions ?

edit on 2-11-2018 by ignorant_ape because: copy paste prapgraphs came out in wrong order

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   
and the obvios hilarity - of someone crafting " humanium metal " knives or firarms cannot be allowed to go un stated

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   
And this new metal is backed by a Gold standard or..?

Last time I checked Sweden made Black Metal and you cant get better than that.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Yeah I think it’s very suspect for many reasons and that’s before I discovered the insane price. As far as the composition of the metal they’re most likely picking an almost guaranteed steel part to melt down to sell at a premium I’m guessing barrels as the most likely easy to sort. Too bad it’s so expensive I’d love to be the guy who trolls them by starting a company making humanium gun parts call it the Phoenix line and charge a nice premium.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Unfortunately since existence people have killed each other, an awful lot
They don't even need a good reason, a silly reason is good enough

Swords to plough shears is a nice idea but in reality it's not going to happen

Anyway I am on the lookout for Adam Antium for my claws

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

I'll buy a piece and make a knife....

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

Yup I agree men are inherently evil. I guess now they’ll be hitting each other over the head with Ingots.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown

originally posted by: Raggedyman

Yup I agree men are inherently evil. I guess now they’ll be hitting each other over the head with Ingots.

I was planning on chucking one straight at yer family jewels but yeah I guess the head could be cool too.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   

It also doesn't say how much it costs to produce each ingot. I wonder how much of that exorbitant price is just pure profit. The guns they're melting down i'm assuming were free so the only cost to them is in the actual smelting process.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

Aren’t they one in the same thing ?

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   
As presented this appears to be a stupid idea with zero benefit to anyone. It is nothing more than a boring political stunt.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Pretty laughable to bring to market an unreliable, inconsistent and unrefined product for a premium price. I'm sure the world is filled with enough idiots to fund this company.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I think I prefer unobtainium, cheaper, quite easy to machine, has a nice lustre, no known examples have ever rusted, its weight is comparable to stainless steel, but is next to impossible to get anyone to sell their stocks.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Sounds like a scam. Tulip Mania ring to it as well, I'm sure some of these ignots will be displayed in art exhibits and sold at sane prices.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Scam? Who would buy steal at a premium price, when you can get it at a normal price just as easy? No that's not the scam.

The scam is how they plan to cook the books to make it look like their silly government program is cost neutral to the swedish tax payer.

"No dont worry that we are spending $xyz to administer the confiscation of firearms and melt them down ... it's all cost natural because we plan to sell the resultant ingots at way above market value... sure people will buy it, we'll even give it a catchy name like ... like ... hamanium metal ... yea with a name like that who wouldnt buy it... trust us"

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Swords to Ploughshares, Wasn't that something Lenin or Stalin thought of?

Criminals wouldn't turn in their guns, Just the good guys would (some anyway).

I also would like to buy an ignot just to turn into a lower receiver for an AR-15 and have it engraved with a troll face or Pepe the frog... Muhahahaha!

top topics

join