It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The South African Sugar Tax.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Recently I was wondering, do we have a new sugar tax or not?

It appears we do since April 2018, and this is how it works:

The details in the Rates and Monetary Amounts and Amendments of Revenue Laws Act explains that the tax is fixed at 2.1 cents per gram of the sugar content that exceeds four grams per 100ml‚ which means the first teaspoon of sugar in 100ml is levy free.

www.timeslive.co.za...

OK.
So how does it work?

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 05:26 AM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman
That’s why we’ve got ‘Coke Life’ (added stevia and less sugar).
Even Fanta has added sweetners, Vitamin Water use to be delicious, but now there’s no other vatiant than ‘low kilojoule’.

I don’t think we’ll ever really know how it works 🤷🏼‍♂️
All that’s important is that government is getting more money.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Notification from the South African Revenue service:

www.sars.gov.za...

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 05:32 AM
link   

I believe you mostly get 330ml cans of soda... a can of Coke would have 35g of sugar... 13g would not be taxed so you would be paying 46.2 cents tax per can...
edit on 2-11-2018 by SwissMarked because: 🤔

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 05:32 AM
link   
The aim is to bring "obesity" down by 20 percent?

Really?

Many African women (and some men) don't want the Western figure.
edit on 2-11-2018 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 05:42 AM
link   
And then you get proud African people who say,
We don't want your Western figure.
We like being curvy,
And we gonna get those curves,
Whether your sugar tax or not!

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Don't drink sugary garbage.

Problem solved.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Assuming the "silly Africans" don't know how much sugar is in Cola.

But maybe some people like looking like that?

Not only Africans, but some other men like that too.

I mean we have evidence from the stone-age in Europe.

edit on 2-11-2018 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 06:15 AM
link   
In many of those countries -and not long ago in Europe-, being thick and curvey was a sign of wealth.

For example Egypt. Men there don´t like skinny women. If your wife is thick, it´s a sign you can care for her and also a sign of wealth. Same goes for men. If they have a belly.

Same vice versa with tanned skin. If you had tanned skin this ment you had to work outside, thuss being from the poorer layers of society.

Somewhere along history that changed, so being tanned and skinny now means being wealthy and healthy.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I'm still waiting for the birth tax in the US. And make it really sting. Make it like 100 grand on top of all the other expenses. That will make the food nazi taxes completely unnecessary. People who don't exist can't consume too much sugar. And people who can afford an exorbitant birth tax will pay it so they can have their brats and they will pay for all the social services they'll need when they grow up.
edit on 2-11-2018 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Don't drink soda or sugary drinks/foods. Easiest way to get around not paying the tax.

Anyways, sugar is poison. Stay away from it.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Ya know, for me a soda is a treat. One I have occasionally. Maybe once a month or so, maybe longer. Not guzzling can after can all day long. Those who do know the health detriments and must fully take responsibility for their behavior.

It don't make them good or bad, it makes them susceptible to a host of health maladies.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   
What does the SA government do with the revenue?

Here is a quick read: Big Sugar Blackballed Eggs with Pseudoscience

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 10:33 AM
link   
ohh the old sin tax ... grate way to get more tax money over a problem that cant be fixed with taxes

shugar tax have made the problem worse in america ... now everything is made with a blend of hfcs and aspartame mmm tast like cancer
edit on 2-11-2018 by markovian because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: BeefNoMeat
What does the SA government do with the revenue?

Here is a quick read: Big Sugar Blackballed Eggs with Pseudoscience

Is there a thread re. the link provided?
If not, make one

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Giving money to our government in any capacity feels like a moral sin.
We’re basically funding a masacre via tax

We just make individuals rich, while the poor suffers
Much like the argument that Americans are all complacent of innocents getting murdered.

I know th US government’s funding, as well as the South African government’s funding comes from different sources, but our taxes are some of the highest in the world, and yet mismanagement of funds run rampant.

I’m complacent in assiting them.
I want my taxes to go to a better cause!

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: GreenGunther

I would think somewhere in the bowels of ATS there’s some discussion about Florida’s sugar industry, possibly a thread on Big Sugar’s anti-egg/natural fats campaign.

If this place is completely insufferable after the mid-terms I won’t bother, but if after Tuesday I find some time to get on the desktop, I’ll search and see what ATS has on it (blackballing eggs*) and take time to put together a thread. Whether your comment was genuine, I still appreciate the impetus.

*Being a kid of the ‘80s/‘90s, I remember the “Got Milk” commercials and always wondered why milk was good and eggs were bad. It made little-to-any sense. It makes sense now 25 years later...

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: BeefNoMeat
a reply to: GreenGunther

I would think somewhere in the bowels of ATS there’s some discussion about Florida’s sugar industry, possibly a thread on Big Sugar’s anti-egg/natural fats campaign.

If this place is completely insufferable after the mid-terms I won’t bother, but if after Tuesday I find some time to get on the desktop, I’ll search and see what ATS has on it (blackballing eggs*) and take time to put together a thread. Whether your comment was genuine, I still appreciate the impetus.

*Being a kid of the ‘80s/‘90s, I remember the “Got Milk” commercials and always wondered why milk was good and eggs were bad. It made little-to-any sense. It makes sense now 25 years later...

My comment was genuine.
I’m from the same generation, early 90’s kid.
My brother and sister are 10 years older than me so I grew up with a 80’s kid vibe.
I always thought the egg thing was nonsense, even as a kid.

I’ve always loved red meat, fat etc. my body sometimes craves steak...
I’m a skinny guy.

posted on Nov, 3 2018 @ 03:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
Ya know, for me a soda is a treat. One I have occasionally. Maybe once a month or so, maybe longer. Not guzzling can after can all day long. Those who do know the health detriments and must fully take responsibility for their behavior.

It don't make them good or bad, it makes them susceptible to a host of health maladies.

Legalize voluntary euthanasia and it won't matter.

posted on Nov, 3 2018 @ 06:51 AM
link   

But the government stole all our tax money, it us obvious they need new funding became their children cannot suffer. They even sneaked in "Carbon Tax"

top topics

join