It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google throttling Candace Owens’s Blexit, search comparisons show

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Google throttling Candace Owens’s Blexit, search comparisons show

Searching “Blexit” on Google will get you criticism, controversy, explainers, tweets and videos – but not the actual page for the African-American movement critical of Democrats, not on the front page anyway. Is this by design?
“Blexit” is the brainchild of activist Candace Owens, who is arguing that African-Americans are being taken for granted by Democrats and that they can achieve more by supporting President Donald Trump.

If you search for it on Google, however, the actual website of the movement – Blexit.com – does not show up on the first page of results at all. Moreover, the top search results are news stories bashing Blexit and focusing on Owens’ apology to rapper Kanye West over the claim he had designed their logo and merchandise.

The article continues...

The search oddity was first spotted by a Reddit user on the popular pro-Trump subreddit The_Donald, who accused Google of seeking to influence the upcoming midterm election by misdirecting the searches for Blexit.

He tested the hypothesis by using other search engines: Bing, DuckDuckGo, and Yahoo. All of them showed “Blexit” right at the top of the search results:

Here's the original Reddit posting: www.reddit.com...

See also: ELECTION MEDDLING: GOOGLE ALGORITHM BURIES ‘BLEXIT’

Spare me the source criticism.

You can test this yourself.

No doubt the left will make all sorts of excuses why this is ok.

edit on 2-11-2018 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Actually, I just tested Bing and that search engine has her website as the first hit.

Yahoo and duckduckgo did not.

Interesting.

edit on 2-11-2018 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Just searched with my Homebrew webcrawler.

Blexit.com was the first result because my algorithm isn't handicapped, and searches for commercial web domains of any search term. Is Google having some issues because of their employee walkout? My dollar store search engine can do it. Seems like something a Google data center could handle. Really makes them look like incompetent jackasses than anything else. Just like their team that handles file system permissions for Google translate on Android.
Whoever has that job, is so smart. Your phone can have plenty of storage space for the offline translation files, and what do you know??? The translate app thinks it doesn't! So smart.

Good job Alphabet company. Can't wait to see the blue whale of the internet get eaten by the shark that is Bing. Can you believe it? I actually use Bing just as much as Google these days! I can feel the market share sliding.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 03:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: loam
Actually, I just tested Bing and that search engine has her website as the first hit.

Interesting.

You just fell for Russian trolls. Good job.

Google posts relevant news first then website.
Go search for a movie or actor or type Tylenol pm or

type in Google 8n the Google search and see if Google.com comes up in the first few results. You'll see news first or other relevant stock market results
edit on 2-11-2018 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 04:24 AM
link   
a reply to: loam

It was front page for me, but 2nd to last. Blexit Minnesota showed up before the main Blexit page.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 04:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

Interesting.

type in Google 8n the Google search and see if Google.com comes up in the first few results. You'll see news first or other relevant stock market results

Then why is BlexitMN.org the number 1 result for me, at the top?

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 05:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

originally posted by: odzeandennz

Interesting.

Then why is BlexitMN.org the number 1 result for me, at the top?

You realize that search engines use a plethora of variables when pulling up searches...

From isp, to cookies, to browsing tendencies and social media...

I type blexit I get different results than you, including her website....

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 05:48 AM
link   

its on page one un UK - use google

infact 2 of page one entries are blexit pages - one the main mpage - and a oped by " jonathan banks " further - ms owens twitter feed is on page one - as is the blexit wikipedia primer

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Number one website for me under the news stories.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 07:01 AM
link   

The blexit.com site came up as number 3 in search results on google for me... After a Wikipedia page about them and their twitter account.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 07:23 AM
link   
It's kind of funny how the side that supported the ISPs' right to throttle access to certain websites as upholding the tenets of capitalism cry whenever they think websites have even a slight bias against them.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Lmao! Reddit’s The_Donald, ground zero for conservative/Trump propaganda. Get out of here with your compete trash!

Ironic your other source is RT! LMAO!!!
edit on 2-11-2018 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

I think most conservatives where against Trump's FCC killing net neutrality.... I also think Trump was persuaded by the swamp in the US Senate. All the same... most conservatives didn't like McCain etc.

Ajit Pai is still an idiot.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: imitator

There were plenty of people on here saying that ending Net Neutrality would be a good thing.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 07:49 AM
link   

I think on a personal level you are correct they weren't happy with it.

Talking with most though I didn't get that impression. Granted it was early in Trumps presidency so the defense mechenisms were in full swing, and I understand that and keep that in the context.

Here's the thread I made though

It's about 17 pages.

While I'd be the last person to use ATS as the end all be all for painting a political picture representing the whole country, talk radio at the time was in full swing to justify it.

I wouldn't be hard pressed to say at the time people defended it to save face, whether or not they agreed or fully agreed with it.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

That's because they where all listening to infowars on net neutrality....

Alex Jones really screwed the pooch on that one.

I don't know how Ajit Pai got past Alex Jones soyboy sensor? haha

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

There were plenty of people on here saying that ending Net Neutrality would be a good thing.

I've only seen bad things happen.

Verizon throttled a California Fire Department because of their heavy data usage during wild fires.

Which at face value isn't alarming seeing as it's likely algorithms making decisions like that. So the Fire Department called Verizon, explained what was going on, and Verizon's response was throw money at us and we'll uncap you.

Technically that is legal, and I understand a private company doesn't have to bend over to the government and lose money.

That said, they could have easily barely lowered speeds for the masses seeing as a crisis was happening, made a commercial out of it for good PR, and written off any money lost on taxes.

To me it showed a glaring example monopolies make companies lazy, essentially taking away any motivation capitalism and competition are supposed to encourage.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Alex Jones is a small fish.

Hannity and Limbaugh were both in defense of it as well.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 08:25 AM
link   

This doesn't match the definition of throttling.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: hombero

This doesn't match the definition of throttling.

To be fair, throttling is just a layman's term to dicking individuals over and propping up favorites.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join