It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Logic is missing from the USA.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Mathematics is a pure form of logic. It cannot define the world as a whole, but Math needs to have real answers.

If we take the equation x + y = z
Everything is undefined and you can fill in an infinite amount of answers. Once two place holders are defined than logic is forced to intervene.

So many of the recent arguments I've seen across multiple topics refuse to define their arguments, or try to define them in such a way as to defy logic (non-binary being a great example).

Philosophy is fun. But it doesn't excuse the lack of logic from individuals in their arguments to better the world.

I would like the world to be better. I think most people would.
Who can give a logical answer as to how to make it happen?

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 12:15 AM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

Facts, logic and reasoning have given way to emotion, ego and profit.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

To the detriment of society.
I work in higher education. I do what I can to challenge the students in their thoughts. But I'm staff.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Logic is missing from the existence of humanity. LOL

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 12:58 AM
link   
There is no room for logic in the modern world
Once on my email at work circa 2000-2010

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Put an end to the age of the ideologue. The ideologue ensures that everyone is fervently fixated on arguing over x being better than y or y being better than x instead of the pragmatic approach of focusing on the fact that we need both x and y to solve for z.

That is a good place to start at least.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 01:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme

If better or worse is plotted on a line, each positive act, however small, makes the world better from its previous position.

Logic.

Have a nice day.

See? The world improved.

edit on 2-11-2018 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 01:29 AM
link   

There is no such thing as a logical human being. People are ultimately susceptible to their emotions.

But that doesn't mean we have to be irrational ALL THE TIME.

edit on 2-11-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 01:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: [post=23918332]

Convince a whole bunch of people to stop having babies. That would be brilliant. Thanks.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 01:39 AM
link   
In the movie Master and Commander Jack Aubrey says to Dr Maturin, what weevils do you choose from the weevils on the plate

Maths states there are two weevils, life often gives us a choice, both are wrong
Life and choice are not mathematical

“I see it all perfectly; there are two possible situations — one can either do this or that. My honest opinion and my friendly advice is this: do it or do not do it — you will regret both.”
― Soren Kierkegaard, Either/Or: A Fragment of Life

So the logical answer is it can't and doesn't happen, wont ever happen

No one is archetypal or altruistic, everyone is flawed so all decisions must be flawed
Choose the lesser of the weevils as explained

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Also, if people had a better understanding of causality - political causality in this instance. It would be helpful if the people understood that when they dig in their heels and embrace radicalism within their own faction then they are de facto supporters of the opposite perceived extreme on the other end of the spectrum regardless of whether or not they purport to be against what the other side says or believes. An Obama supporter is a Trump supporter and a Trump supporter is Bernie supporter (or who or whatever comes next) and so on and so forth. An extreme can only exist with its equal and opposite extreme - they support and feed off of each other.

And when this takes hold in a civilization history is abundantly clear that a course will not be corrected until fatal cataclysm is achieved. So I would advise you put down your best laid plans, draw your loved ones near and hold tight for dear life.

Perhaps that is too pessimistic on my part, but in this technological era of analytics and mass scale manipulation at the highest levels it is awfully hard to envision a scenario where the mad dog machiavellians don't get precisely what they want - which is the chaos they thrive in and can effectively exploit to attain total control. It is irrelevant which extreme is left standing when the smoke clears. It will be ultimately against you whether you fought for or against it.

Okay, I'm veering off into philosophical land again - but what do you expect? I'm not a math guy.
edit on 2-11-2018 by sooth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 01:51 AM
link   
a reply to: sooth

Given the one plus one equals two nature of the topic I would say that is not only a good place to start but a very good place to start.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 01:56 AM
link   
a reply to: sooth

And after your good place to start, or a very good place to start, we can turn to this realization to help us move on.
Please sooth, do go on.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Notice how this post is in rant, and not in news.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 02:11 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

So emotional egotistical X are being profitable. Makes sense

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 02:41 AM
link   

There's nothing wrong with the World. It is perfect just the way it is. Whatever it is you do not like about the World, you only criticize and hate in others what you do not like about your own character. Love is the answer. Start by looking in the mirror. Once you get past yourself you we see brilliance in other people.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Its not the world that needs to be better. The world =The globe =The planet itself.

It's the people who occupy the world thats the issue. The majority of these people have attitudes that defy logic.

Now i know thats what you meant and i hope you can see my point here and know that im not nic picking at your statement personally rather just using it to highlight the point, but there is the starting point--- people need to actually think about what they say, say what they mean and present said speech in a manner thats more easily decipherable, instead of saying what they think others want them to say and be compassionate in the manner in what they say is being presented.
This simple act easier said than done it would seem would be a major first step to making our existence in this world a lot happier, happier people smile they're more flexible, their more accomadating, their more likely to help a fellow humanity who's in a rut.
Happier people are less likely to fight, more likely to turn the other cheek, etc etc.

So my logic is that simple communication would be a great place to start, you've only got to look at some of the responses on threads to see some people can be real nasty right of the bat if not likeing others ideas.

But logic suggests to me that although we can define the changes you seek, implementing and encouraging others to make the inacted changes a first priority is logically untenable.

So maybe a reward system ie- like in china with their points system for social status etc, now people scoff at this but in reality if tweaked a bit it could seriously encourage tbe type of change that would breed better human beings in turn making life more tolerable/happier.

Your question requires very indepth answers, hard to condense for post purposes.

Hope you find some good suggestions here from responding posters and actually try to make living in this world a more humane experience.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Interesting point but not sure it covers all angles.

The media and TPTB are certainly pushing an x=y outcome on all subjects. Yo have to be x or y. Analytical thought is not allowed. Having a well thought out opinion covering multiple outcomes is no longer allowed.

So yes, I agree logic is lacking but in the opposite way to what you say perhaps.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Americans embrace politics and entertainments which you know is not the path that leads to a logical thinker.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 07:57 AM
link   
While the World flails in confusion, there are those who have been given a gift. Search and you will find. Ben said by God and every Apostle and Sage through history.

www.youtube.com... Some see clearly, and for some it is veiled..
....as Nicholson said "You can't handle the truth"

top topics

<<   2 >>

join