It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Schrödinger's Bacterium" Could Be a Quantum Biology Milestone

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

I don't even know how to access or send private messages here it turns out--this place is a multi-chambered labyrinth obviously designed to filter out casual appetites and *STALKERS* I beg your dang pardon--(it was my recent archaeological dig into the junjun junkyard on a lark--and all these groovy memories flooded in and incited discovery--so sue me! Also reached out to Granny, no reply to date--Larry is RIP 3 yrs :-( Eve is too...7 yrs :-( Pru has left the grid years ago, gone incognito however I know the creds (quite exotic), can fill you in--) But yep, I'm just your garden variety every-20-year-stalker-chick...sort of like Haley's Comet, just a diff loop cycle.

I'm headed over to your BTUs and ABCs ...

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

To be honest, many biological processes are QM in nature.

Peacock feathers for one. Anything shiny like that, bugs, fish, birds, Richard Simmons (teehee), are reflecting light per Feynman QED book.

I was a pondering that light, not water, is necessary for life but then they found all that stuff below the surface. My thinking was, “deep sea creatures bioluminesce so maybe...” but was reminded of the ocean vents when told creatures live in minerals deep below the surface.

That brought me back to your original observation about QM and life. Then I smiled.

What the hell is life??!!

Moving definition, new discoveries both on earth and in space, water everywhere, organic material everywhere, energy to initiate reactions everywhere, now, add in quantum entanglement... so where is it?!?!??

www.google.com...
edit on 14-12-2018 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: stoopid autocorrectives

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Bose Einstein Condensates were thought up in 1924. It was not until 1995 that a gaseous BEC was created. Superfluidity has been demonstrated in various materials. Quantum entanglement is being widely studied for various reasons including super conductivity. Then OP happened where biology and light were shown to be in a superposition state.

Here is the latest news in QE with light, and this time, matter:

The optical cavity consists of two mirrors with a reflectivity of more than 99.99% facing each other such that they can reflect a light pulse back and forth around 10 000 times. The light pulse thus interacts very strongly with the trapped atom.

“We trap a single 87-Rb atom in the resonator, which can then phase-shift an impinging light pulse,” explains study lead author Bastian Hacker. “If the atom is in an equal superposition of spin up and spin down states, the light pulse is brought into a superposition state as well.”

The technique is deterministic, he says, because the light pulse becomes entangled with the atom in every single trial.

“Cat states have been postulated to exist for decades now and the recipe to create them with an optical resonator, as in our study, was first put forward in a paper in 2005. To see this finally work is most exciting and it is one of the countless triumphs of quantum mechanics,” he tells Physics World.

physicsworld.com, Jan. 19, 2019 - Light-matter entanglement creates Schrödinger-cat states.

Yet again, QM states are demonstrated between light and matter. Let's go entangle gravity such that it politely ignores us and we can go sailing around the globe without the use of a jet engine! Go have New Zealand lamb in New Zealand with a bottle of Chilean red wine from Chili and cheese from Cheddar and still make it home in time to catch Jimmy Kimmel! All without jet lag!!

edit on 18-1-2019 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: adjectives are useful!

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

I appreciate you, sir.

The more we know, the more ... er wispy? it all becomes.

Hmmm ... what if A C Clarke got it half-right? What if there's no actual technology at all? Maybe we've been horses dreaming of carts all along (or something... I tripped on the metaphor and didn't feel like putting it back on the shelf).

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join