It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone know the "official" Roman Catholic opinion of Revelations?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 10:21 PM
link   
The book of Revelations. I read somewhere about a year ago that the RC had changed their "official" position concerning this book most dire.

They agreed that it was no longer to be considered a work of prophecy, but rather just another parable, this time concerning the state of mankind rather than the end of the world, as was first believed.

I can; however, find no reference to this statement in any of the official catholic sites, nor on the internet anywhere.

Does anyone have a link, perchance, for a similar article?

Thanks.

the Fiend :.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I do not believe that the Roman Catholic Church ever “publicly” made that statement.
I was actually taught this way of thinking in my Catholic school, however I believe that this maybe the opinion of only some members of the church. There are still many sects of the Roman Catholic Church that firmly believe that revelations is a true account of the end of days. The Catholic Church believes without a doubt that there will be such a day, they however may disagree on what that will be or when it will come.

As far as I can tell the Churches official stance is that Revelations is a true account.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Here is an explanation of thebook of Revelation......

Quote//The significance of the Apocalypse

and the interest in It

The Apocalypse ("apocalupsis" in Greek, means revelation) of St. John the Theologian is the only prophetic book of the New Testament. It foretells the impending fate of mankind, the end of the world, and the beginning of eternal life, and it is, therefore, naturally placed at the end of the Holy Scripture.

The Apocalypse is a book of mystery, and its comprehension is difficult.

www.fatheralexander.org...

Hope that helps..

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 01:18 PM
link   
The Catholic church has no position on the accuracy of the dreams
in the book of Revelation. If you ever want to know what the
Catholic Church officially believes ... check the Catechism. I know of
two places online also have 'official' answers - EWTN.com and
Catholic Answers.

These are some articles from Catholic Answers about the book
of Revelation and the Apocolypse. It's all 'opinion', but opinion
based heavily on what the Catholic Church says ...

1. The Time Is Near (This Rock: September 2002)
URL: www.catholic.com...
Revelation is arguably the most misinterpreted book in the Bible. Here are five oft-heard fallacies and why they're wrong.

2. Reviews (This Rock: March 2004)

3. The Apocalyptic Mass (This Rock: 0009)
Scott Hahn saw things he had never seen in the book of Revelation after his first mass. He found many things that are mentioned in Revelation that are represented in the mass.

4. The Beast in Revelation (This Rock: December 1998)
Who is the beast in the book of Revelation?

5. Revelation: Public and Private (This Rock: November 2000)
How do public and private revelation differ, and is there a difference between them regarding obligation of belief?

6. THE WOMAN OF REVELATION 12 (This Rock: May 1997)
There is a lot of debate about what the symbol of the woman in Revelation 12 represents. Different aspects of the symbol point to different possible meanings for it.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I dunno...I heard somewhere that the book of Revelations was not in the original Bible, so maybe that's why the Church might have changed their position on it.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Much of the book of Revelation is found in the Old Testament.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   
In one of those links you will see that the rcc teaches that most of revelation is gone by (if not all?).
It is the only way they can paint the picture to keep themselves out of it.

new topics

top topics

join