It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many here homeschool your children or know others that do?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: DigginFoTroof
He's busy with friends and even a young lady friend he goes out with on "dates" on Fridays (monitored by both sets of parents)

Sounds good... I'm sure sure you won't screw up that relationship he has with that "young lady", by being way to invasive and over protective.

What the hell are you talking about???

Of COURSE I'm going to screw it up!

Jeez!

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

a reply to: DigginFoTroof
He's busy with friends and even a young lady friend he goes out with on "dates" on Fridays (monitored by both sets of parents)

Sounds good... I'm sure sure you won't screw up that relationship he has with that "young lady", by being way to invasive and over protective.

What the hell are you talking about???

who knows dude... Probably just got to self righteous and over emotional, then ended up posting in the wrong thread.

Its all good.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I am sure some hose-schooled kids turn out really well. However, I have a hunch that many come out blind ignorant of the world and with no social skills, which maybe what the parents want.

I speak from a UK perspective where there has been concerns voiced over home-schooled girls from some (ahem) cultural groups who turn out with no education and get married at 16. Keep 'em ignorant and dependent on men. Ignorance means that they will not know what abuse is, or even what to do about it. It's a crying shame when a person born in the UK cannot speak English.

(post by Meritia removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 06:43 AM
link   
All my older kids attended public school, how ever my youngest step son attends a virtual charter school here at home.

The school is done completely over the internet, but is considered a public school by the state because the kids in it are actually taught by teachers, and follows all the state laws for public schools (such as the minimum mandatory attendence, etc).

He's in 10th grade now, but we started him with this at the beginning of his 5th year.

Each day he has actual live classes he has to attend using his computer and communication software that allows him and the teacher to speak to each other. He also has "off line" assignments that he has to complete and turn in.

The school itself offers social gathering events for the students in different areas of the state.

My sons social life does not suffer as he's a Boy Scout, belongs to a fencing club, and has friends that he socializes outside of school.

We started him on this because of the bullying that he suffered through and that the schools did not seem to want to stop. Once started on this home schooling, his grades shot up, he became much more self confident, and the best bonus of all: He's here at home safe and sound.

He's not having to deal with riding a bus for an hour and a half to get to and from school. He's not having to deal with idiots that think getting suspending for fighting is "cool" because it's more like a day off from school than being punished for bad behavior. He's also not missing any school due to things like bad weather, as if we still have power and the internet, he still has school.

If he misses a class, each one is recorded and available later in the day, so he never misses anything.

There has never been any down side that his mother and I can find.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Hi, My son doesn't do homeschool but I did home-school my last half of my senior year of highschool. That one year was so lonely, I just stayed at home and did my work 5 hours a day (only 20 hours a week were required, sadly ECOT no longer exists to my knowledge)

I learned more than I felt I was going to learn in school, but most importantly it provided me a flexible schedule so as to not be late and upset and embarrassed every morning (turns out I had IBS, found out years later)

What I didn't like about this, my HS I had spent 3.5 years at- would not put me in the yearbook like they did for a friend who did the same thing a year prior, and would not let me walk with the friends I made. My only option was to drive 3 hours to columbus or something to walk with a bunch of people I didn't know, and sorry, but didn't care about in the least. So I have no senior year book, and my parents never got the satisfaction of seeing their first child at a graduation ceremony. No one threw me a graduation party either because I guess they figured, if they couldn't come see me walk why did I need to be celebrated. And here I am about 10 years later, thinking I'll probably never hear of when my public schools reunion is.

Thats a bummer for me but oh well.

I did like homeschool though it was what I needed to graduate.

Even with all the troubles I had at school and with being bullied, If I would have known they wouldn't let me walk with people I already spent my whole life with I would have suffered through public and even repeated the year if I had to.

Now that's a very special circumstance, so I would say if I were to homeschool my child, I'd have to constantly take him out to get him properly socialized. No one wants to have no friends, not even one they can go out and hang with. Luckily I had a handful from school who would come hang out with me when I was done, or pick me up after they got out of classes.

I'm just glad there are different options out there for kids who learn or function better in different environments.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: NerdGoddess

I have a feeling that a lot older homeschooled kids long for things like Prom, and a normal graduation and stuff like that.

I think that your circumstances are quite unique and they probably should have made an exception.

The problem is where do exceptions stop? You didn't really graduate from that school, you graduated from a different program. It would be similar if I went to one school but wanted to graduate at another. I think they did it that way to close the door from abuses taking place.

And just FYI i've been out of school for a looooooong time, and I think i've cracked open the senior yearbook once! It's sitting in the basement.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: NerdGoddess

I have a feeling that a lot older homeschooled kids long for things like Prom, and a normal graduation and stuff like that.

I think that your circumstances are quite unique and they probably should have made an exception.

The problem is where do exceptions stop? You didn't really graduate from that school, you graduated from a different program. It would be similar if I went to one school but wanted to graduate at another. I think they did it that way to close the door from abuses taking place.

And just FYI i've been out of school for a looooooong time, and I think i've cracked open the senior yearbook once! It's sitting in the basement.

That's true, I understand, and I suppose it doesn't really bother me as much as it did at the time it's been about 10 years now but I was a very salty girl that day lol.

-Alee

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   

I've known some ppl who were home schooled. The only issue I have with it is that kids don't get the socialization that they do in public school. They aren't used to peer pressure and when they hit public school, they go kinda wild. Several of them got pregnant at an early age. I'm not trying to paint all home schooled ppl like this, just the ones I've met.

These are valid points, however there are some great solutions to this, including groups where there's a network of parents and kids, and they get those times to socialize as well.

Personally, I'd recommend a mix of both, to make up for this deficiency, at different times, and this can be gauged by the child, as there's no rule here, it depends on the kid.

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   
As an FYI, there has never been MORE material available and resources, for homeschooling than now. Often even the same (or better) resources than what teachers are using.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join