It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the news or Trump responsible for the division in our country?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Most Americans correctly say the news media is the big divider.

morningconsult.com...

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   
The news is responsible for the division in America. The Democratic liberals are the ones that feed the news agencies their crap. The Republicans do a little riling up but are not even ten percent as bad as the Democrats.

I still consider myself mostly Democrat but will never vote for another Democratic Presidential candidate. I hate the primaries, I have to choose either Democrat or Republican and I never vote straight ticket. The last two years are the only years I ever voted in the Republican primary ticket. All other years I voted for choosing the Democratic candidates. I now tend to vote more Republican since Hillary chased me away from the Democrats, that would have been forgiven if I haven't been seeing an unhinged Democratic party yet.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I now tend to vote more Republican since Hillary chased me away from the Democrats

Man does that ring true!

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Post removed by ATS staff
edit on 5/11/18 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Hello there fellow Wisconsinite!

There has been division in the country for a long, long time. We have two major political parties. Politicians use rhetoric to appeal to their audience, thereby creating division. For instance, some people on the left think that all Republicans are Nazis, whereas on the right, we sometimes make fun of people for needing safe spaces etc. Point is, people don't always agree. This can be a good thing. Agreeing on everything is overrated and would be like something out of the Stepford Wives.

It is not Trump's fault. It is our political culture that is at fault. Meaning, it is our fault. Everyone has the right to an opinion, but many of these opinions are not based in fact and are therefore irrelevant. It is our fault because people choose to be politically illiterate. Thus, it is up to the voter to do their own nonpartisan research and come to an educated opinion. However, many are not. That is the real problem. The news takes advantage of this and the cycle continues.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   

The country was divided before Trump.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Post removed by ATS staff
edit on 5/11/18 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   
People have been unhappy with our direction for a long time, they rolled the dice on another guy to see what he could do to change things.

There really are a number of good policy changes happening but the Left covers their eyes and ears and screams "Bad Orange Man, Bad!!"

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

originally posted by: Vroomfondel

Obama is responsible and his minions are still at it.

That's exactly right!

Obama set racial and political relations back 100 years or more in just 8 short years.

Unbelievable anyone could suggest this is a relatively new phenomenon unique to the Trump era!

Correction: The Obama's set racial and political relations back 100 years or more in just 8 short years.

Honestly I feel like all Michelle did was give speeches across the country about being black and proud and undermining the whites.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

I have not seen any Right leaning politio call for "Revenge" or payback

Yet, its everyday with the Trump.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   
The news is using Trump as a tool to divide the country. This should be obvious.

This has been happening long before Trump though.

This is how the two party system works. It's just gotten insane lately because the criminals running things are losing power.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   

It is the news. And it's quite simple actually.

Donald Trump is not against the news or journalism. Donald Trump is against fabricated stories and missleading journalism that is attempting to divide the nation.

If the news would stop sensationalising everything Trump does with the attempt to divide the nation most democrats would peacefully disagree with the president and vote accordingly.

In the past we have disagreed and decided the ballot box was the best way to settle our disagreements. Now the MSM thinks it's there job to divide their base from anything to do with Trump. They even try to create division when much of their base disagrees with the division.

Most of the left are for sensible immigration and would care less if we build a wall. They may be against a wall but they wouldn't be willing to divide the nation over it. But the MSM thinks that we absolutely need to be divided on this and every other topic.

Every president ever elected inacts policy that the other side would deem unecessary or inappropriate, but that is how our system works. The media is trying to make it sound like the left is somehow enlightened and sent by God while anything Trump does stands in the way of some NWO globalist Utopia and therefore he must be...(insert derogatory term here).

What's wrong with Nationalism? There is plenty wrong with elitism but nothing wrong with nationalism. Trump is a nationalist who believes that it's the leaders of a nations responsibility to make sure they negotiate first and foremost on behalf of their voter base, the citizens who elected them. The left media and politicians are a bunch of elitists who think they have the only solutions. They believe they know what's best and somehow we will all be thankful when they subvert the laws and national sovereignty to push a Elitist, Globalist, Facisists, NWO.
edit on 1-11-2018 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Of those two choices it has to be the news; they have been at it a lot longer than Trump and will still be at it long after he leaves.

Why anyone worriers abou an individual man while ignoring the much larger systemic issues is baffling to me.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Isurrender73
What's wrong with Nationalism? There is plenty wrong with elitism but nothing wrong with nationalism.

Well, I don't know about that. I think it's a mistake to be gung-ho about things that you didn't personally accomplish, and become a huge booster for things that you're involved with due to no fault or action of your own. Like being white, or black. Or being born in a particular country. Why take pride in that? Actually, the only people who should be nationalistic are immigrants who made a conscious decision to move to their country of choice and work hard to fit in. I always feel like nationalism is about two steps away from Fascism, and one of those steps is finding a charismatic leader.

And if nationalism is good for you, then what about that guy in Afghanistan who loves his country and thinks the best way to make it a paradise on Earth is to kill all Americans? You gotta say it's okay for that guy, too. May the "best" country win? Only if you believe in a Mandate of Heaven.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   
What you expect the responses to be on this right wing high-five of a website? Of course they are going to say it's the media's fault and the Obamas tried to support black people a bit too much (never mind the couple hundred years of black subjugation... that's all cool and didn't create any need to support the black population).

Bottom line is Trump says crazy divisive stuff (and lies like breathing). Media reports it.
Then media is somehow to blame.

The dude ran on a campaign of division and anger. He got his wish.
I wish we the people had been smarter.
Reality TV drama ftw.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I think there are multiple factors and many moving parts as to why there is so much division in this country. I dont believe it started under Trump, but I believe the process of the election from 2015 to 2016 is where it multiplied. I started noticing it around 2007-2008. Maybe thats only where I began to pay attention to it, but I remember seeing a lot of anger against Obama, I started see lots of purely garbage news sites popping up out of nowhere and suddenly gaining a following. I saw a change in tone of people I know, but it was still relatively calm. Things seemed to simmer under the surface until this Clinton vs Trump explosion in 2015-2016.

Whatever happened during this last election sent people on both sides into a fervor. The people I know in my life on both sides became angrier, most of the anger I noticed came from people on the right, and it came largely because of social media related stories (usually garbage memes, misconstrued or flat out false reporting from sites like Gateway Pundit, etc). The more that stuff got shared, the angrier people got it seemed. There are plenty of crazies on the left that are very angry too, I happen to not know many of them though. I do think Trump's rhetoric was a factor in people becoming angrier too, but I dont believe its nearly as big of a factor as the media on both sides. I'm sure a lot of people here when they blame media for the rise in anger are going to blame the MSM, blame CNN, MSNBC only, and I dont think thats the case at all. I think they do tend to be negative on Trump a lot, a lot of it deserved I believe, but some of it is also pretty over the top which also stokes some flames. A lot of people here would have you believe that the MSM and "liberal media" is a failing industry, and nobody is watching them, so how they're driving millions and millions of people into rage is beyond me.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Trump helped focus groups from other thing on to him. No one remembers 99%ers, BLM etc under Obama? MeToo movement and ANTIFA both started in 2007 too. Nothing we see to day is new, some is just repackaged.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: booyakasha
The news is using Trump as a tool to divide the country. This should be obvious.

This has been happening long before Trump though.

This is how the two party system works. It's just gotten insane lately because the criminals running things are losing power.

Probably one the statements in this thread closest to the truth!

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
www.vox.com...

Poll: GOP voters blame news for division in America; Democrats blame Trump

In my state (Wisconsin) the November races are neck to neck, seriously like 50/50

I will say one positive thing about this division is that more people are voting, and going to be voting than maybe we've ever seen before!

I am neither Dem or Rep, but I do fault the news some. I recently saw this ad on the news:

OK, after reading that, it sounds horrible doesn't it?
It's true, but very very misleading. I always wonder about people that take news as fact. I know for both sides there is a lot of misleading going on.
www.politifact.com...

Ah , so how does President Trump Fit Into your Equation here ? I am Guessing He has Absolutely Nothing to Do with it ............

edit on 1-11-2018 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: scojak

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

originally posted by: Vroomfondel

Obama is responsible and his minions are still at it.

That's exactly right!

Obama set racial and political relations back 100 years or more in just 8 short years.

Unbelievable anyone could suggest this is a relatively new phenomenon unique to the Trump era!

Correction: The Obama's set racial and political relations back 100 years or more in just 8 short years.

Honestly I feel like all Michelle did was give speeches across the country about being black and proud and undermining the whites.

How is being black and proud of it undermining to whites? And how exactly does it set race relations back 100 years or more?
Nevermind the fact that whites undermined blacks for generations here in the US.

I remember seeing a lot of posts (maybe whole threads?) from users on here a while back saying things along the lines of, "If black people can say it, so can I! I'm white and proud of it!"

In your mind, does the above quote set back race relations? If not, being black and proud of it doesn't set back race relations either.
Unless you (the general you, not you specifically) are racist. Then it probably would set race relations back for "you".

Personally, I think it's dumb to be proud of your skin color. Or race. Or the country you were born in. You had zero say in any of that, and did nothing to make those things happen. Pride should be reserved for accomplishments, not default categories based on birth.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join