It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the news or Trump responsible for the division in our country?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
The division in our country only started 2 years ago?

If that is not a true statement then no, it's not trumps fault.

/end thread

I'd just posit one question more. . . .

When has our country never been divided?

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: narrator

Why not both?

I don't think that's a crazy answer.

I think it is fair to say that Obama, Trump, and the media have all caused division in ways.

Question is, has any person or group of people done so intentionally?

On that note, I'd say at least entities in the umbrella of mainstream entertainment news has caused some on purpose. Plucking at strings to get people riled up and stay tuned in.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

originally posted by: underwerks
It’s on Trump. If he didn’t give the news inflammatory things to report, they wouldn’t report them.

Trump: Fake News is the enemy of the people.
Fake News: Trump says the press is the enemy!

I guess in your world it is Trump's fault the media lies.

I guess in your world you haven’t read the excerpts from the new interview that’s coming out this weekend where he admits the press isn’t the enemy of the people, that it’s just something he says to rile his base up.

VandeHei: To be honest, what scares the crap out of me is that when, if you’re saying, “enemy of the people, enemy of the people” —

Trump: Well I have to fight back. You’re right —

VandeHei: Hold on a second. God forbid that like somebody — you’ve got fervent supporters. They love you. Listen to you. “Enemy of the people” —

Trump: They like me more because of that.

VandeHei: They like you more, but what happens if all of a sudden someone gets shot? Someone shoots one of these reporters?

Trump: I fully —

VandeHei: You don’t think we’re the “enemy of the people,” do you?

Trump: I don’t. I don’t. But if you gave me false reports, I would say that’s not a good thing for our country.

Link

You’re being used. All the rhetoric is just a marketing ploy for people too oblivious or emotional to understand what it is they’re really supporting. And it’s led the more extreme people in the Trump party to actually murder innocent people.

He knows all this but still doesn’t stop because he might lose some voters because of it. That’s why the blame rests on him. He could change that at any time but he doesn’t, because it would mean less support for himself.

And that’s pretty much it.

edit on 1-11-2018 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-11-2018 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   

In the news today.

Maxine Waters ' It's pay back time'.

The reason for the division in this country is because of a political party hell bent on power at any cost.
edit on 1-11-2018 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Candidate Trump said EXACTLY what Candidates Obama and Clinton said in regards to illegal immigration.

The fake news media’s headline? : Trump is racist

The low iq of the left : (in unison) “Trump is a racist”

Somehow in the minds of the low iq, ‘illegal immigrant’ means ‘non white’.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: narrator

Why not both?

I don't think that's a crazy answer.

I think it is fair to say that Obama, Trump, and the media have all caused division in ways.

Question is, has any person or group of people done so intentionally?

On that note, I'd say at least entities in the umbrella of mainstream entertainment news has caused some on purpose. Plucking at strings to get people riled up and stay tuned in.

I agree completely, it's coming from all directions.

The media...I can't stand mainstream media. I truly feel that no news source should be biased. Ratings shouldn't play a part in a news show. It's no longer "news" if the broadcaster gives their (or their bosses) opinion, it's a story with a political slant.

A news broadcast should be delivered as follows:

Here's the news!
-Democratic leaders did ____.
-Trump said _________.
-The weather tomorrow is forecast to be ________.
-Apple released a new ______________.
Thanks for listening to the news! Tune in tomorrow.

No opinions given during the report at all.

News broadcasts shouldn't have to pander to specific audiences in order to get more viewers and keep from getting cancelled. That only leads to disingenuous reporting.

Would it be more boring than the news we currently have? Of course. It'd also be more true/ethical/unbiased/etc.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Yawn. I see him saying Fake News is the enemy. She is asking if the press is the enemy. He says no.

No one can use me because I don't care what anyone else says. I don't listen to Trump, the only time I ever know what he says is when the media claims he lies, I look it up, and 90% of the time it's the media lying.

No what is absent from that interview, the person interviewing Trump never once denies the lying of the media. If they want to stop violence maybe they should stop being so divisive, and stop being so biased, and stop creating the very thing they claim to worry about.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Having watched and looked and read the posts, the following can be stated:

It is both. The public thrives on a steady stream of shock and awe. Celebrity divorce, people are all over it. A royal prince gets married, and boy the public tunes in. High profile fight, and it is ratings gold.

Then you have Trump. The media built this monster that is called Trump. In his early days, just when he was just starting out, he made the social media page and people wanted more. So he was on the news, sometimes as a blip, as his name grew, so did how the public viewed him. And the media, in turn to sell more or get more viewers were ultimately feeding into that.

Now you have the 2016 election and it is about Trump all of the time. The man makes a statement, and it is front page news, the man makes an inflamatory statement, and the media eats it up, and so do the people.

Even when calling CNN fake news, his people have no problems going on that channel and getting full coverage.

And the ratings are there to support this.

Isn't it a nasty circle that everyone has created and no one wants to break. The only way to break it is to turn off the TV and not watch the news, only paying attention from time to time, when it is something big.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

In the news today.

Maxine Waters ' It's pay back time'.

The reason for the division in this country is because of a political party hell bent on power at any cost.

Well said.

The ‘left’ are united in the pathetic believe that they’ve somehow been ‘wronged’. They’re the victims of some great ‘wrong’ that they have to ‘avenge’ and they are ALL of the belief that when they gain power back (they won’t) that it’s perfectly acceptable to implement laws purely out of spite just to ‘get back’ at those who disagree with their viewpoint.

And the media supports and encourages this belief. Even though the opposite is true. They haven’t been ‘wronged’ in any way shape or form. In fact, the country dodged a bullet.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

I don't listen to Trump, the only time I ever know what he says is when the media claims he lies, I look it up, and 90% of the time it's the media lying.

If you don’t even listen to Trump then what do you know about any of it?

Good lord, it’s worse than I thought.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   

I don't listen to Trump, the only time I ever know what he says is when the media claims he lies, I look it up, and 90% of the time it's the media lying.

Lol, reading comprehension isn't a strong point for you is it?

Read it again but slower.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel

Obama is responsible and his minions are still at it.

That's exactly right!

Obama set racial and political relations back 100 years or more in just 8 short years.

Unbelievable anyone could suggest this is a relatively new phenomenon unique to the Trump era!

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Muninn

Lol, reading comprehension isn't a strong point for you is it?

Read it again but slower.

My reading comprehension is excellent, and that’s the problem.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Maybe look again since I said I fact check the media's claims about what Trump says.

It is definitely worse than you thought, just not in the way you thought.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Majority of the country is not divided, but of the division we have I would put it at 2/3 blame on the press by taking anything said and blowing it wildly out of proportion, making absurd things like the pee gate dossier a national headline for weeks etc.

1/3 belong to trump cause lets be honest there are times he says some wild stuff purely to generate a reaction some of it for giggles I am sure and some of it just gauge the mood almost.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm
I think the main media sources influence all aspects of life for the average consumer who doesn't question things.
I see it in the pub, the guy who reads the Daily Mail sees life as that newspaper tells him, no meeting half way, it was in the paper so it is true.
I'ts why I love ATS, I learn lots from both sides of every divide, see different perspectives.
Left/right, black/white, we're all just folk trying to live happy lives and paying the bills.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

With the MSM spewing inflammatory hate propaganda like this,

I will go with the main stream news being guilty.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Easy question.

How long have the Democrats and Republicans been around?

How long have the news been around? How long has CNN and MSNBC and ABC and CBS and FOX and NYTimes and everyone else been around?

Decades and centuries.

How long has Trump been riling people up? How long have we had division and worse violence in our country?

2 years.

It is clear as day.

If anything else was an issue, would it not have been evident years or decades ago? Why does EVERYTHING coincide with Trump?

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Both Trump and the news are to blame. Many other politicians, media outlets, and companies as well.

Talking points divide. Division conquers. Does anyone think that guns, abortion, the death penalty, gay marriage, etc is the BIGGEST issue the country has? Nope (well maybe a few loonies), but it keeps us preoccupied while the rich (on both sides) get richer and we all get poorer.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Mahogany

Yep. 2013 when Trump took office race relations nosedived.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join