It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Kamov SBV Attack Helicopter Project Images 'Leaked'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I realize helicopters don't get the love around ATS that fastmovers and stealthy birds do. And I also realize that if its not American, most folks tend to dismiss it as 'junk' or a 'rip off' or the like. However, with the price of oil rising again, the Russians will start to be able to to afford their new toys once more. One of the projects that has been started is the replacement for the current Russian attack helicopters. Russian Helicopters, the parent company of Kamov and Mil, has been tasked with developing a new attack helicopter for Russia to replace the KA-50/52 and the Mi-28 Havoc. They are currently in the design stage, but a recent briefing to whom or why 'leaked' and images of the replacement being designed by Kamov are out and about. The project is called 'SBV.'

Take a look:

Note, the dual rotors and the intent is to go far, far faster than the current Russian helicopters. The canards, wings, intakes, etc all scream high speed. How much of this is marketing and how much real, IDK.

The internal weapons bay is interesting as it basically covers the entire bottom of the vtol. This is supposedly part of the aircraft's shift to being stealthy: yes, really, despite the Russians bagging on stealth all the time. However, given the size of those inlets, I'd wonder about how much stealth is stealth.

The question really is this is another game by the Russians to act 'freak out' the US military? Or is it just a fluff piece of Power Point Rangerhood? Or is it a leak like the Status-6/Kanyon/Posiedon long range nuclear armed UUV?

IDK. All we can do is wait and see. However, with the price of oil rising, the Russians will be able to afford far, far more than they could in the last decade. And this may be one of the projects they chose to invest in.

AvWeek's Take:

aviationweek.com...

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Lmao yeah man.

We surround russia on every side, but we should freak out from a game boy style helicopter drawing...

Ugh...

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: anzha

I like it looks pretty cool

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: SR1TX

We ignored them for 10, 15 years and that pissed them off more than any sort of 'surrounding them.' However, that's not a topic for the aviation forum. It's one for one of the geopolitical forums.

Why do you call it a 'game boy' image? Looks like a standard power point prezo to me...

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Looks pretty sweet.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   

The relatively large delta wing will seriously affect vertical lift. Then there is also rotor wing interaction during forward flight.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   

The nifty thing is that they are siphoning power from the turbines to drive a DC motor(s) directly turning the rotors. IF they can decouple the rotors and resume using the turbines for thrust, you've got yourself something that would be extraordinarily fast.

Think if it similarly to all the talk of using the drive shaft from the F-35's F135 to drive a generator (DEW) instead of the lift fan. They siphon the power for the shaft/generator to drive DC engine(s) turning the rotors when needed. And when in forward flight, you can decouple, let them autorotate and keep all the power as thrust.

Having said that, this is much easier said than done. This will be a "DARPA-hard" project, for sure. But potentially game-changing. Not particularly efficient for hover, but if your mission envelope spends most of its time in high-speed regimes, this could bear fruit and could conceivably be much faster than a tilt rotor or compound.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: moebius

The wing will blank the rotor, but with the speeds they are talking about, I don't think the portion of the flight the rotor is powered under is the focus. You're almost looking at a fast autogyro that "also" can drive the rotors through DC when needed. Definitely not ideal for hovered flight, though.

The chord of the blades is (relatively) extremely thin. As long as you're more than as twice a chord's length of distance from the lifting surface below, interaction is pretty small in most areas of the envelope. That's before you model the effect the upper blade(s) rotating would exhibit (only occasional interaction from the high-pressure under the blades. Not at all sure it effects the "wing" much in forward flight. And presumably, the rotors are not under power during high speed flight, which means the high-pressure below the rotor blade is (again relatively) small in that phase (needing lift from the wing), especially compared to the low-pressure area of the higher chord wing below. It'd definitely be a # to model.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Interesting.

I don't see any side doors. I'm assuming that will house an engine for the props. And the side jets will propel it forward?

Maybe they will let the props auto rotate when moving fast?

Looks like something from a japanese anime.

Or this thing.

gizmodo.com...

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 08:20 PM
link   
i always get excited with Kamov designs...America should look hard at what they are doing with helos for a new generation of attack helicopters.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 09:26 PM
link   
i was under the impression that choppers had limited forward speed and the blades reflect radar so other then storage area and maybe some ecm stuff i don't get it.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Well the problem for the Russian's and Chinese is that they are at least thirty plus years after the fact in there own development of stealth aircraft, black helicopter's linked to the probably secret and illegal (Because it is theft of livestock) biopsy harvesting over in the US and elsewhere have been around for a very long time, these aircraft though ostensibly helicopters are radar blank AND fly under the radar most of the time with there pilot's and crew using night vision, they also use advanced noise cancelling technology to make them silent in operation.

And as for payload, well an air craft that is large enough to haul stunned cattle on board then has room for precision biopsy work has to have a fairly large payload ability.

They are usually mixed up with UFO's possibly as part of a deliberate cover story but are either US black government or black government related corporate owned aircraft and there behavior over the period of the cattle mutilation's, the area's of concentration etc would suggest that they were/are involved either in highly illegal field trial's of chemical or biological agent's and there spread or monitoring a leak or spillage which has never been disclosed to the american public.

They are also used for other activity's.
Here is just one of many threads both here and on the wider internet on the subject.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

To be fair this mock up drawing of a Russian stealth helicopter look's kind of like a cross between a jet and a traditional helicopter so if real would suggest a hybrid that will be more about being able to fly at jet speed and also switch to helicopter ability's in the air at lower speed's but how will they overcome the inherent drag that the rotor would have at those speed's, interesting, perhaps by locking it into the top down position shown in the drawing it will then act as additional if small overall wing area, it's actually a very old concept though.
Canard wing's at the front for maneuverability at high speed and delta wing's at the rear for lift while moving at hyper-sonic speed's.
I think Grey580 probably has it right.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

Unless they are static, there is no such thing as radar invisibility as far as I know but there is radar reflection limitation or making the radar return as small as possible which is the next best thing and the technology is getting better all the time with new radar absorbing composite material's and other technology's which can minimize or scatter the radar bounce off in other direction's so not back to the radar receiver.
But only a civilian here and there are some real aero experts on the site whom can likely clear that up far better than I know.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

Why?

Last I heard the Apache is still the state of the art, or at least a reasonable facsimile there of.

Not to mention the latest version of the Cobra. ...and there are already at least two designs already being tested.

posted on Nov, 3 2018 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Yea. Dont see anything new materializing in Russia anytime soon. Can barely fund 5th gen fighter. And still building ka 50 models. Had to bring back old bomber designs because cant make new design's work

posted on Nov, 3 2018 @ 02:24 AM
link   
A video of the proposed bird: youtu.be...

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   
This lost out to the far more conventional (read "less risky, far cheaper) Mil design moving forward.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

You're probably right, but do you have a source?

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

thank you.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join