It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GAB CEO: ' Screenshot this...'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
It's a damned shame to see so many here celebrate censorship.

SMH

The left seems to have officially given up on the concept of free speech. They even have their jackbooted thugs (Antifa) to harass and attack their opponents.

And they wonder why so many people in this country are ready to take up arms against them.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: loam
a reply to: MotherMayEye

Did you not read the UA study? Is the slightly more than 2% of Twitter really enough of a material difference to assert your theory?

What's the cutoff percentage then to make the difference?

Baffled by this view.

I think that Torba just sent a message to anyone thinking about trying to create a social media platform, where conservatives feel free to discuss issues that matter to them, that they will potentially be murdered (or at least live in fear) and that they will have to fight tooth and nail to make money from it because service providers probably won't work with them.

And I see that as extremely chilling to free speech and am suspicious of Torba.

I have seen, firsthand, over the last couple of years that there is a demand for a social media platform that doesn't discriminate and otherwise penalize conservative users. Gab may not have attracted that many, but the demand is there.

When I ran a birther blog, years ago, I got a few troubling emails through the 'Contact Me' function on my blog. One included my very young son's first name and the person wished me a happy belated birthday about a week after my birthday.

That was obviously disturbing. But there were a few others where people would contact me and tell me how they went looking into things and wound up beaten and in the hospital and drinking their meals through a straw and "Boy, I sure hope that doesn't happen to you and you stay safe."

My perspective is what it is. I think Torba's Gab is an ominous exercise in chilling free speech.

edit on 11/1/2018 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 11:00 AM
link   

No, that wasn't clear; but, I'm over 40 and blonde so I have my challenges
(self-deprecating humor, not ageism or hair color hate speech).

Probably a good time to point out how easily things are misunderstood on the internet.

I read your comments and see that you seem to think the site owner of GAB is a plant. While I admit this sort of thing happens in order to advance an agenda, I think it would be dismissive to say he is a plant. I believe this is legit the real deal roundabout censorship.

Cheers

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman
Who cares? It was literally a platform for hate speech. It needed to be shut down.

The whole hate speech thing is a very slippery slope. How is this any different than book burning? The common phrase used now to shut down people's communication with today's common tools is to say they were 451ed. You can go to ANTIFA web site and they say openly they will use any means to meet their agendas including violence and they are not touched, so there is bias in all this and so we need to be carful with what "they" decide as hate speech.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: LordAhriman
Who cares? It was literally a platform for hate speech. It needed to be shut down.

The whole hate speech thing is a very slippery slope. How is this any different than book burning? The common phrase used now to shut down people's communication with today's common tools is to say they were 451ed. You can go to ANTIFA web site and they say openly they will use any means to meet their agendas including violence and they are not touched, so there is bias in all this and so we need to be carful with what "they" decide as hate speech.

It is absolutely a modern form of book burning. There are clear parallels between our country today and 1930's Germany. The Democratic party have become fascists who believe in winning at any cost, morals or legality be damned.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: raedar

No, that wasn't clear; but, I'm over 40 and blonde so I have my challenges
(self-deprecating humor, not ageism or hair color hate speech).

Probably a good time to point out how easily things are misunderstood on the internet.

I read your comments and see that you seem to think the site owner of GAB is a plant. While I admit this sort of thing happens in order to advance an agenda, I think it would be dismissive to say he is a plant. I believe this is legit the real deal roundabout censorship.

Cheers

Keep in mind though...censorship is not the only way to chill someone's First Amendment rights.

Gab has served as an assault weapon on conservative voices. Through it, conservatives have been warned that it will only end in disaster if they try to assemble and share ideas online...and in great enough numbers that ensure their voices are being heard.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 11:15 AM
link   

During a time when I first started getting in to educating myself & trying to figure out what is going on, I had a weird few things happen to me. To be clear, I am basically nobody and I pretty much keep to myself and have a normal social life.

It was probably around 2010. I was more outspoken about my beliefs during that time. I posted on all the forums as well as linked eye-opening stuff on my personal facebook page.

During the day I was in my living room and through the giant window I saw a car roll up in front of my house. It was a big family type car, like a Crown Vic. 4 men in suits got out and came to my door. Being that I was alone with no dog or baseball bat, I opted not to answer the door. I watched them through the peek hole and they didn't say a word. They weren't going door-to-door either. They just got back in the car and left. It happened again in the following weeks when a woman was house-sitting for me.

Was it ominous? I don't know, as I said I am basically nobody. Regardless, the timing of it and me vocalizing my distrust in the government and expressing things I have learned caused me to tie the two together. Facebook and Twitter were in their infancy, as well as even the smartphone.

A few years later, my house was broken into and my computers were stolen...2 macbooks. I no longer live there. I hit a rough patch and had to sell.

Still, probably nothing related to one another but when you're researching things you're not supposed to know and being vocal about it, weird things sure do seem to start happening....

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 11:19 AM
link   

I didn't really spend much time on Gab, but I could see it being used as a tool most definitely, even without the site owner's knowledge. I believe in the Paid Shill program and have a few "people" on here I try to not engage. If you do, suddenly all their "friends" team up with them and you will only be driven to frustration. If you're curious, just start a thread about anything UFO related and you'll see what I mean.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

Free Speech for all is now a tool of oppression to many on the left. They want Free Speech only for some.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: raedar

Still, probably nothing related to one another but when you're researching things you're not supposed to know and being vocal about it, weird things sure do seem to start happening....

copy that...

I've had two guys approach me in a bar, address me by my first name and tell me to mind my own business, turn and leave. Then the phone calls with strange electric clicks that continue to this day. It seems so contrived to be intimidating.....still

My research was into high strangeness in Colorado.

also, ever had your mouse cursor move in crazy ways like someone had just hacked you; Taken over your laptop for a few seconds, just to send you a message. If it's an attempt at making you paranoid....it worked!!!

edit on 1-11-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: raedar

I have had a couple of 'real life' incidents, too, that made me wonder.

The email I got with my son's name caused me to close my blog for several months. My husband was upset with me.

The IP address on the email directed to a place called 'The Center for Progressive Training' in Georgia. Their website said they provided phlebotomy training but it was just a template and wasn't even complete, at the time...it still had dummy text on some pages.

It had every appearance of being bogus. Here's how it looks today: CPT

The email address showed a name that matches the author of this article: Link

Here's kind of an amusing incident I never knew what to make of, if anything...

One evening, I was researching the freemasons while my husband was on his laptop looking for drums or a guitar on Craigslist and suddenly this popped up:

It's from Shakespeare's 33rd sonnet. So weird...but I am sure the freemasons are too busy eating babies to send me messages on Craigslist.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   
It’s always comical to read the rwnj’s airing out their latest conspiracy theories. Actions have consequences. It’s that simple. Then again, on the other hand. I’m basking in all the winning the Clintons and the deep state are scoring against the hapless and intellectually challenged right wingers. Even as they control the entire federal government and most of state governorships, the deep state manages to always be ahead of them at every turn, not too mention they are untouchable. Maybe it’s time the rwnj’s should just accept the fact they aren’t very bright and are easily manipulated. Anyway, I’m glad to hear that racist place is suffering the consequences.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: loam

In February of this year, the University of Alabama studied 22M GAB posts produced by 336K users between August 2016 and January 2018, and found 94.6% of its postings did not include hate speech.

Roughly two percentage points and change under Twitter.

Let's correct this:

In this work. we have provided the first characterization of a new
social network called Gab. We analyzed 22M posts from 336K users,
finding that Gab attracts the interest of users ranging from altright
supporters and conspiracy theorists to trolls. We showed
that Gab is extensively used for the discussion of news, world
events, and politics-related topics, further motivating the need take
it into account when studying information cascades on the Web.
By looking at the posts for hate words, we also found that 5.4% of
the posts include hate words. Finally, using changepoint analysis,
we highlighted how Gab reacts very strongly to real-world events
focused around white nationalism and support of Donald Trump.
Acknowledgments. This project has received funding from the
European Union’s Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation program
under the Marie Skłodowska-Curie ENCASE project (Grant Agreement
No. 691025). The work reflects only the authors’ views; the
Agency and the Commission are not responsible for any use that
may be made of the information it contains.

If anyone wants to actually READ it:

Document

edit on 1-11-2018 by AScrubWhoDied because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Bowers is from PA. Shouldn't PA be shut down and the people of that state blamed?

Or is it that the person is responsible for their own actions and others are not to be blamed in this case.

Find the scapegoat.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: soundguy
It’s always comical to read the rwnj’s airing out their latest conspiracy theories. Actions have consequences. It’s that simple. Then again, on the other hand. I’m basking in all the winning the Clintons and the deep state are scoring against the hapless and intellectually challenged right wingers. Even as they control the entire federal government and most of state governorships, the deep state manages to always be ahead of them at every turn, not too mention they are untouchable. Maybe it’s time the rwnj’s should just accept the fact they aren’t very bright and are easily manipulated. Anyway, I’m glad to hear that racist place is suffering the consequences.

Pretty easy to be ahead of someone if you lurk in the shadows and operate outside the law. But I don't see the deep state as winning. If they were winning we would not be having this discussion.

I'm going to make the assumption that RWNJ equals right wing nut job? I'm definitely not right wing (maybe nutty lol) but all that you've revealed is that you lack the maturity and insight to have a conversation and quickly resort to name calling. It's not very progressive, unless we are measuring progressive by modern examples.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

A couple months ago I left my computer for a few minutes, and came back to my pictures folder being open. Pretty unsettling. I have my computer locked down pretty good, but it was unsettling. I'm mostly worried about images someone would plant on my computer. But again, I am nobody.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   
How about Freedom to listen, let people say what they want while we all have a choice to listen or not. I have never listened to a single Alex Jones show, but I truly hate the idea of shutting him down, including even the money side too.

Does it not bother anyone here that these companies not only stop the ability to communicate, but also stop things like PayPal etc? At what point does a private company no longer has the right to pick and choose when they have become the main stream platform for everything?

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: raedar
a reply to: olaru12

A couple months ago I left my computer for a few minutes, and came back to my pictures folder being open. Pretty unsettling. I have my computer locked down pretty good, but it was unsettling. I'm mostly worried about images someone would plant on my computer. But again, I am nobody.

That would make me more paranoid than I already am. I'm a nobody as well but recently on a fishing trip, I encountered a Hispanic family that pretended to know me and knew some intimate details of my life. I didn't know those people!!!!

To think that Social activist groups aren't monitored by shadow ops is just plain stupid. Not only can the hack your laptop, smart TV, they can track your car if you use GPS or own a damn cell phone... Privacy is dead.

It's prudent not to run your mouth and threaten people on the interwebs. Their brother in law just might wear a Black hat if you know what I mean.

I too think Torba was a psyop operator under the guise of "free speach"...BS!! This isn't Mayberry RFD...I'ts a brave new world and big brother is watching.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   
A lot doesn't add up.

A church gets shot up, so the first thing the media does is attack a website?

Gab.com did not influence that guy.

He wanted a social outlet, he would have found one.

Anybody want to check stats on previous shooters. Did they do this for a shooter that used Facebook or Twitter?
IIRC, didn't the kid that shot Gabby Giffords have a YouTube account with a bunch of insane videos?
Anybody boycott or defund YouTube after that?
He had a Facebook account too. Joyent, stripe, still working with Facebook?
edit on 1-11-2018 by Archivalist because: Giffords

edit on 1-11-2018 by Archivalist because: Meh

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

And yet they still have the right to voice their opinions without having acts of financial warfare levied against them.

This just illustrates the need to expedite Crypto's replacement of the worthless fiat currency controlled generally by Freedom's enemies. Our position is patriotic and it is right, their efforts to thwart or otherwise minimize the rights of others can and should not be permitted to stand.

They should hit them where it hurts. GAB should boycott their currency all together, using cut-outs and intermediaries to facilitate private conversion of USD->crypto and back again. The more people who use and accept Crypto, the more power that's taken out of centralized/concentrated hands and put directly back into the hands of Citizens - and best of all it doesn't require anyone's permission or consent to physically do. An excellent course of action.

edit on 11/1/2018 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join